What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Gentleman,
I have been gone for a little while " I should have kept in touch I know,but Ive had some major life changing events happen that have kind of set me back in my place" Once the day I will never forget happened " Being diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread, I made some changes, allot of them, One that I regret making the most was selling my 2004 slightly modified V-MAX. So if you ask me what did I do to my V-MAX today "Actually yesterday" I bought it back form the same buyer over on the east coast. Seems his back is bad and" I due believe getting my MAX back will be very good therapy for me 'I forgot everything once I heard that UFO exhaust start imitating a SBC" Going to head over and get it today or Sunday morning. I will keep you in the loop, "Great to be back missed you guys"
Welcome back to your Vmax home! Great story on getting back your Vmax, I think we all have a bike we would welcome back.
Glad to hear your making changes to what sounds like a better way of living. I've been a diabetic for almost 10 years and making changes is difficult but they do not have to define you.
I wish you the best of luck and it seems you've stuck a good bit of luck by getting your 2004 back!

Thanks Redbone,

This is just one of the little speed bumps of life I guess, " Just going to do whatever we have to do to beat this, failure is not an option"

I removed the ugly, bare metal brackets the P/0 had used to move the turn signals so he could fit saddlebags. Moved the signals back to the stock position. Looks much better.

Thanks Redbone,

This is just one of the little speed bumps of life I guess, " Just going to do whatever we have to do to beat this, failure is not an option"

+1, great attitude, you can do it!

Day started off good. Took the Max of the battery tender, put the seat back on, put the faux tank back on, started right up. I let her warm up, took the LONG way to work. Got of work about 11PM. Turn key, no cycling of the Vboost, dim lights, won't turn at all. Long day at work, caught a ride home, will deal with it in the daylight. I guess I have the electrical gremlins these bikes are famous for....:ummm:

Yesterday I fixed some, hopefully all, of my electrical gremlins.

I ran 12 awg +/- wires (with an inline fuse) directly from the R/R to the battery bypassing the factory crimp. Cleaned up the other connections and BOOM
that was all I needed to get to 14.2 volts. I didn't check stator output volts but it bench tested with good ohms.

Good luck, hope your issues are resolved as easily.

Sean

I finally finished painting my original fenders and faux tank pearl orange. I started the change out with the chopped fenders that were on it. I struggled getting the front fender off, being difficult to get to the bolts that secure it to the brace. I haven't been able to get the new one on and finally gave up. Being the full size fender, it is even harder to get to the bolts underneath to secure it to the brace. I think I'll have to remove the front wheel to reach? I've never done it and I'm a bit nervous, I'm having a go at it on Tuesday.

I finally finished painting my original fenders and faux tank pearl orange. I started the change out with the chopped fenders that were on it. I struggled getting the front fender off, being difficult to get to the bolts that secure it to the brace. I haven't been able to get the new one on and finally gave up. Being the full size fender, it is even harder to get to the bolts underneath to secure it to the brace. I think I'll have to remove the front wheel to reach? I've never done it and I'm a bit nervous, I'm having a go at it on Tuesday.

I think on the 88 it can be done without removing the tire....but its SO much easier if you do.

You are probably correct, however, I have upgraded mine and it now has the 1999 43mm front forks on it. I've done many mods to it, Forks, Disc, Calipers, brake lines, brace, etc....

You are probably correct, however, I have upgraded mine and it now has the 1999 43mm front forks on it. I've done many mods to it, Forks, Disc, Calipers, brake lines, brace, etc....

Well with the bigger forks, you WILL have to take the tire off.

I determined that all the bolts on all the rotors need replacing due to too liberal a use of blue locktite. I almost broke one. I'm sure not going to trust my rotors to overstressed bolts.

onward and downward.

These bitches are worse than boats. (a hole in the water into which you pour money constantly)

I determined that all the bolts on all the rotors need replacing due to too liberal a use of blue locktite. I almost broke one. I'm sure not going to trust my rotors to overstressed bolts.

onward and downward.

These bitches are worse than boats. (a hole in the water into which you pour money constantly)

When I changed mine....I cheated and used an impact, with a metric allen socket on it.

The bolts on my front calipers were the worst I have ever experienced trying to remove. Luckily, I have an impact driver and all of them came out except 1. That one stuck bolt took me 4 days to remove and I never actually removed it. After drilling out the center of the bolt, breaking 2 easy outs then red riling the easy outs which ruined plenty of drill bits, I just got the hole large enough to run a tap through it and cut. New threads. The hole is the same size as stock so I basically cut new threads into the old bolt...not fun and very nerve racking. I even at one point had an aircraft metals technician helping me and he even said he had never seen a more stubborn bolt.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I pulled the battery to put it on the tender as the previous owner didn't have a tender cable hooked up. What sadist came up with that arrangement? Task was not made any easier by the fact that someone ran the wiring for the tboost and rev limiter right across the top of the battery rather than along the frame. anyone see why a can't splice in some extra wire and reroute those without tearing it all apart?

--Bill

I've just finished with the pearl orange paint and installed the original size fenders back on the bike, I'm really happy with the look.

Attachments

• New Hellboy email.jpg
    New Hellboy email.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 34
  • New Hellboy email 2.jpg
    New Hellboy email 2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 72
Back