What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored this fender off of Kyle a few weeks ago. He didn't want too but I beg & beg, then I through a temper tantrum like my daughter.lol just kidding, also installed SS braided speedo cable from Sean while I had front tire off

Looks great. What is it off of ?

I scored this fender off of Kyle a few weeks ago. He didn't want too but I beg & beg, then I through a temper tantrum like my daughter.lol just kidding, also installed SS braided speedo cable from Sean while I had front tire off

Said it before and ill say it again...Your max is sweet as!

I put the middle gear cover, wheels, and gas tank back on the project bike so it is officially of the stand. Now I can drop some Dannymax carbs on there, put on an airbox, and see what I get.

Well I am sure Kyle didn't want to sell it. I am sure he doesn't want to move it either, lol.

Final shake down today! :eusa_dance: Long time coming for sure - over the last several months new clutch, Morley HD oiler, valve adjustment, carb re-jet, repacked UFO mufflers and various other maintenance stuff.
Awesome! Loud and proud.
I couldn't have done this stuff without info from VMF and Sean Morley. Thanks for the shim kit and advice Sean.

Dale

(somehow a stray found it's way into my garage)

Attachments

• 2 better than 1.jpg
    2 better than 1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 26
Did a little over a hundred miles today on my Woona. While doing this, I discovered that Rt 16 from Concord through Embden into North Anson is friggin rougher than dogshit! And then there is that one curve that comes up on you suddenly... right in one of the roughest portions. Yeah... was wishing for a moment that I was on a V-Strom instead of a Vmax lol

Still, all in all, it was a good day for a ride.

I got the project bike to turn over. No carbs, fuel pump, or spark check yet, though. It cranked just fine. I might have to get a new ignition switch housing. It doesn't always stay on if you bump the key... not so great, but at least I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel with this one.

Spent all day today cruising the forum learning as much as I can about a 1985 VMax that was given to me yesterday, I restore classic Goldwings and Yamahas but here in Alaska the only Vmax I have ever seen was a new one at the Yammy shop.
I will have my work cut out fer sure, first off they broke off the lower oil filter case housing, I have both an 83 venture running engine and I just bought off Ebay an 85 lower case, at $25 it was an affordable gamble, bike is actually still on my trailer at work.

Poor bike has been in storage for my guess 10 or 15 years, family member broke it and left Alaska, just gave up on it. Has a bit over 8,000 miles on it and a low Vin number.
In exchange for getting a cash sale arranged of the owners 85 Goldwing and the wrecked 95 Goldwing I bought he gives me this bike.

Gonna be interesting to see what I can restore it to, engine needs to be soda blasted and painted for starters, new tires, brake rotors are solid rust but I can take my air tool and a scotch pad to them. And about that broken case, well thanks to a member here he gave me the idea of tapping the case for the return and I will figure out a way to get a fitting on the pressure port, I am a diesel mechanic by trade so I have tons of fittings, and the either a Harley remote oil plate or I will make one from a block of aluminum for a small spin on.

Spent all day today cruising the forum learning as much as I can about a 1985 VMax that was given to me yesterday, I restore classic Goldwings and Yamahas but here in Alaska the only Vmax I have ever seen was a new one at the Yammy shop.
I will have my work cut out fer sure, first off they broke off the lower oil filter case housing, I have both an 83 venture running engine and I just bought off Ebay an 85 lower case, at $25 it was an affordable gamble, bike is actually still on my trailer at work.

Poor bike has been in storage for my guess 10 or 15 years, family member broke it and left Alaska, just gave up on it. Has a bit over 8,000 miles on it and a low Vin number.
In exchange for getting a cash sale arranged of the owners 85 Goldwing and the wrecked 95 Goldwing I bought he gives me this bike.

Gonna be interesting to see what I can restore it to, engine needs to be soda blasted and painted for starters, new tires, brake rotors are solid rust but I can take my air tool and a scotch pad to them. And about that broken case, well thanks to a member here he gave me the idea of tapping the case for the return and I will figure out a way to get a fitting on the pressure port, I am a diesel mechanic by trade so I have tons of fittings, and the either a Harley remote oil plate or I will make one from a block of aluminum for a small spin on.

1985 VMax that was given to me yesterday

VMax given to me

Oh... My... GOD!!!

555266.gif

SCORE!!!

Maybe because i am a new member the pics won't upload, I will get them on my tablet and try again in the morning.
The bike is all there, mirrors, gauges, seat in good shape, tires are almost like a scene from Back to the Future almost nothing but circles of dry rot. Fork seals have left a messy stain, i now that i see it again is missing a front fender, well I have quite a few of those lying around from other older yammy bikes, I may even make my own carbon fiber.

Engine looks like crap, lower half is all oxidized white. Been sitting a LONG time. I bet the carbs will have to be rebuilt and the tank de rusted, I just winched it up into my snowmachine trailer with a comealong and with a helper and took it to my shop last night.
Had a big Harley guy on his bike pull alongside at a red light, he was yelling all sorts of comments and laughing when I said it was behind a house and only 8K miles on it, said I had a lot of work ahead of me but I got a positive impression overall.

Latest posts

Back