What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not ridden with them yet. I had grip tape on the crash bars before and that was a great place to put your feet. Problem was; I kept cooking my calves if I wasn't wearing my boots.
I've finally got my forward rests dialed in. The crash bars are in the OEM mounting position, but with a catch - they are wider by about 2 inches on each side, because of the external frame stiffeners,(1" square bar), and the bodywork shrouding that covers it. This locates the foot rests wide enough to avoid any leg interference with hot engine parts.
Together with a seat lowered by about 1 inch, and higher rise and pullback handlebars, my 30 inch inseam mini-legs stay uncramped and comfy all day, as well as my back.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Relocated pegs, forward footrests.jpg
    Relocated pegs, forward footrests.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 39
I have not ridden with them yet. I had grip tape on the crash bars before and that was a great place to put your feet. Problem was; I kept cooking my calves if I wasn't wearing my boots.
I've finally got my forward rests dialed in. The crash bars are in the OEM mounting position, but with a catch - they are wider by about 2 inches on each side, because of the external frame stiffeners,(1" square bar), and the bodywork shrouding that covers it. This locates the foot rests wide enough to avoid any leg interference with hot engine parts.
Together with a seat lowered by about 1 inch, and higher rise and pullback handlebars, my 30 inch inseam mini-legs stay uncramped and comfy all day, as well as my back.
Cheers!
Miles did you build all those coverings yourself?

You know, by being functional to the degree that it is, the bike is incredible.
[/I][/I]

Thank you, Eric. From the beginning in '03, my goal was to create a dual-purpose bike. It will never again be stock, but will never be a Venture either. But it does serve it's purpose, in either configuration.
If it is to change it's spots again - doubtful though - it will be to add a sidecar. Three wheels are increasingly looking better than two, with the advent of arthritic joints. Tons of space for gear when travelling, especially if riding solo!
Cheers

Attachments

• Littlefranken.jpg
    Littlefranken.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BigFranken.jpg
    BigFranken.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 32
I remember seeing Miles' bike at a restaurant at Thunder on a Saturday evening.
I hear the phrase "pictures don't do it justice' quite a bit. This is one case where that is definitely true. Its quite amazing what he has done to the bike. Everywhere you look, something has been modified in some form.

Great Job!

[/I][/I]

Thank you, Eric. From the beginning in '03, my goal was to create a dual-purpose bike. It will never again be stock, but will never be a Venture either. But it does serve it's purpose, in either configuration.
If it is to change it's spots again - doubtful though - it will be to add a sidecar. Three wheels are increasingly looking better than two, with the advent of arthritic joints. Tons of space for gear when travelling, especially if riding solo!
Cheers

I think its amazing because its your vision of what a Vmax should be, and everything works 100%.

finally cut down my muffler looks ten times better

Attachments

• 20150611_123422.jpg
    20150611_123422.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 41
  • new muffler.jpg
    new muffler.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
[/I][/I]

Cheers
Goal accomplished, I like it!!

Replaced the fuse for my heated jacket, so that seems to work again. Also put on the Schumacher charger to see if my battery will stay alive long enough to start the bike again. Too many starts without a real ride sort of destroyed it, I think.

I went through the winter tank of fuel yesterday. 80 miles before the fuel light came on. 3.2 gallons in - with many burps to get it full, full.

The people at Stewart's were having a good oogling session:

Why is that guy riding around when it's so cold? (About 42-44F. Just before sunset)

Why is that guy shaking his bike? (Burping the fuel tank)

How long does it take to fuel up a bike? (Lots o burps - Zveruga was HUNGRY)

We've got a cold weekend and week coming up, so now I am back to waiting for good weather again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was tired of looking at the crusty yellow clear coat on my radiator aluminum trim. Wet sanded them with 1000 grit and polished them with mothers. I like them.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
I was tired of looking at the crusty yellow clear coat on my radiator aluminum trim. Wet sanded them with 1000 grit and polished them with mothers. I like them.

Me like'm too, Mr. Barker!
Also, really starting to dig the gaiter look. Did you use Yamaha Bolt gaiters, as have other folks (such as Rusty in California)?
Cheers!

Cheers!

[/I][/I]

Cheers

I remember seeing Miles' bike at a restaurant at Thunder on a Saturday evening.
I hear the phrase "pictures don't do it justice' quite a bit. This is one case where that is definitely true. Its quite amazing what he has done to the bike. Everywhere you look, something has been modified in some form.
Great Job!
Indeed Mike, Miles has very thoughtfully and thoroughly transformed his Vmax into the veritable epitome of what a actual "Touring Vmax" should look like. After each closer inspection of Frankenmax will reveal another new and clever aspect to the form, with a quick demonstration by Miles made me take a look again to try to grasp the thought and craftsmanship that went into the making of this one of a kind motorcycle.
I can only begin to envision how a Vmax with Miles at the creative wheel would turn out! Function over form that works beautifully!
Nice work on the touring foot peg Miles!

Nice work.
Have you used them yet?
I'm curious how they feel out on the road. I have COO frame sliders that I can prop my heels on to stretch out a bit but they don't work well enough to hang out like that for long. I've been wondering if its worth the expense to do something like this.

Mike I have COO sliders as well and I have put some touring pegs on for that stretch that is needed, especially with having 180 mile + range that a 5 gal tank affords. Here are 2 pictures that show the comparison with the COO sliders, the Kuryakyn foot pegs set at 2" from mount. The mount on the down tube is a 1.25" clamp.
IMG_2377.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

I may change the extension to this one to have more foot position options.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/466/x-tension-cruise-peg-mounts

Those frame sliders are stout! Aesthetically, they would appeal more to me being black, less obtrusive. I have the stock crash brackets and just rest my feet on their tops when I want to stretch my legs a bit. I've never felt the need to add other forward pegs.

Are you champing at the bit to get going for the spring? I spoke to my MI friend who lives by Lake Orion, (SE MI) and he still had a bit of ice on the lake, but perhaps by this weekend it's gone.

Latest posts

Back