What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added two stand alone aux fuel canisters. The write up is in the mods section.-

24ozk10.jpg

104i651.jpg

what was the problem with your headlight.

Something I would've never thought of in 100 years. I happen to fall across the forum on V 4 motorcycles, there was a post about a headlight not working.

This girl whose name was Atlas 68 said that she was told that the number one golden rule when troubleshooting headlights that don't work is to check your starter buttons. Another guy whose name was pricey, he said he sprayed the buttons with some WD-40 and started up his bike in his light worked so I did the same thing in my light worked so the moral of the story is if you have a headlight that isn't working always check your starter buttons the button that starts the motorcycle and the one that says on and off they tend to stick and when they stick apparently the headlight doesn't go on.

Another fellow posted and said that although WD-40 may work it also leaves the film which can collect dust and dirt over time he suggested taking it apart and cleaning it with a contact cleaner or brake cleaner I happen have both so I used contact cleaner sprayed a pretty good and then wiped it off pretty good and then use my air compressor to blow it out so that it would be try.

So three days ago I was getting ready to ride my bike for the first time this year than I realized I didn't have a headlight didn't have any idea how I was going to troubleshoot it I just did what I thought would work it didn't, and then I ran across the post so now tomorrow if the weather is good I will write my Vmax for the first time this year. I hope this helps somebody in the future I've been helped a lot by a lot of people in this forum and because I'm not a mechanic I've had limited information to share but I think this one was a good find.

Something I would've never thought of in 100 years. I happen to fall across the forum on V 4 motorcycles, there was a post about a headlight not working.

This girl whose name was Atlas 68 said that she was told that the number one golden rule when troubleshooting headlights that don't work is to check your starter buttons. Another guy whose name was pricey, he said he sprayed the buttons with some WD-40 and started up his bike in his light worked so I did the same thing in my light worked so the moral of the story is if you have a headlight that isn't working always check your starter buttons the button that starts the motorcycle and the one that says on and off they tend to stick and when they stick apparently the headlight doesn't go on.

Another fellow posted and said that although WD-40 may work it also leaves the film which can collect dust and dirt over time he suggested taking it apart and cleaning it with a contact cleaner or brake cleaner I happen have both so I used contact cleaner sprayed a pretty good and then wiped it off pretty good and then use my air compressor to blow it out so that it would be try.

So three days ago I was getting ready to ride my bike for the first time this year than I realized I didn't have a headlight didn't have any idea how I was going to troubleshoot it I just did what I thought would work it didn't, and then I ran across the post so now tomorrow if the weather is good I will write my Vmax for the first time this year. I hope this helps somebody in the future I've been helped a lot by a lot of people in this forum and because I'm not a mechanic I've had limited information to share but I think this one was a good find.
When my light didn't work,i did the same as you and it still didn't work.My problem was the left side switches H/L,the horn worked but lightes didn't.Swapped it over and,bobs your uncle.

Started mocking up the R1 front end. Once it's done then I get to pull it back apart and send the forks out to Racetech.

Attachments

• 20170510_214427.jpg
    20170510_214427.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 29
Looks very good, will be interesting to see how that color looks once it is all put together. Are you a painter by trade??

Hell of a job
I used to be in the 80s,the last car i painted was 1986.I started working part time at 11 years old,i was welding and painting cars at 12 years old.Then in 1986 i left the auto repair game,av got a small compressor and some old devilbis guns but i only do my own rides.

Are you planning to leave the clip-ons in that location? Looks like because of the 'gullwing' triple trees and the clip-ons, if you leave it like that, and with the stock footpegs, your ergonomics are gonna be 'interesting,' if not downright uncomfortable. I'd guess that installing a set of 'slugs' to go on-top of the downtubes might work to allow you to re-locate the clip-ons on-top of the top triple tree clamp, if it was a traditional fork. How you would accomplish that on an 'upside-down fork,' I'm not sure.

Are you going to put some handlebar risers onto the top triple tree, and do away with the clip-ons?

Started mocking up the R1 front end. Once it's done then I get to pull it back apart and send the forks out to Racetech.

The plan is to fit some rearsets next. Still researching the best location and easiest to adapt readily available rearsets. I am not to fond of most of the options I've seen available for the vmax. I'm planning to move the controls right somewhere in between the passenger foot pegs and the stock location. That seemed more comfortable. I'll have something in place during the wait time to get the forks and piggy back shocks back from Racetech (4-6weeks) I also need to redo the seat as well to get rid of the bump and narrow it a bit. I'm a bit short so the current configuration isn't too uncomfortable for my short daily commute and don't plan to ride around much before I go back to stock until the forks and shocks come back.

I played hooky from work today. took my son to school, drove to the DMV got a drivers license so now I'm legal on my motorcycle came home went to Lowe's and back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plan is to fit some rearsets next. Still researching the best location and easiest to adapt readily available rearsets. I am not to fond of most of the options I've seen available for the vmax. I'm planning to move the controls right somewhere in between the passenger foot pegs and the stock location. That seemed more comfortable. I'll have something in place during the wait time to get the forks and piggy back shocks back from Racetech (4-6weeks) I also need to redo the seat as well to get rid of the bump and narrow it a bit. I'm a bit short so the current configuration isn't too uncomfortable for my short daily commute and don't plan to ride around much before I go back to stock until the forks and shocks come back.

WR rearsets. Adambweird has some that I never installed (I think). Somebody else does, too. Maybe Rusty?

Those look like the way to go. I'll try and contact rusty. Maybe get some good pictures. Looks like other than a random ebay (Max MC Direct) listing the only way to get them is through Max MC Direct or learn Japanese and dig some more.

Yup. I think ebay is a good idea. You could also look at exactrep. They have a banner ad at the top of the page.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Ended up ordering a set of Over Racing rearsets off ebay. Seems similar in fitment and style to the WR's with a little bit different range of positions. Expensive and coming from Japan but not far off from what I was expecting to spend to modify some off the shelf parts from a different bike. Should save a ton of time.

Back