What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick calc shows instead of 336 mm a 330 mm length would place the length at the OEM length of 13" o.c. Reading the specs, it seems like the length adjustability is +10 mm and - 0 mm. The additional length of the listed 336 mm, not to include the + 10 mm is .223" so roughly 1/4". Add the + 10 mm and you get 13.62" or about 2/3" greater than the OEM shock length. Increasing the length of the shock steepens the steering head angle, making the bike steer more-quickly. That's something to consider.

Also, assuming the shock in question is rated for Harley-Davidson use, a Big Twin is much heavier than a Gen. 1 VMax, and the correct coil-over spring for a Big Twin is going to likely be much too-stiff for the 600 lb wet weight of a VMax, unless you're a Big Boy and weigh 275 lbs. Another thing to consider, asking for a lighter spring to be installed.

I know there are some people on here who use a Kawasaki ZRX shock which is >14" long o.c., and they evidently have no issues with the increased length. Maybe they run the spring at minimum tension, and the static sag brings the shock length close-to the OEM length.

Ohlins was at one time owned by Yamaha, but I'm not-sure they still do.

In any event, your beautiful, cutting-edge shocks are worth more than several of the bikes in my ownership. Be sure and report back about their performance once you've gotten some use out of them. With a premium set of 17" sport radials and some front end fettling, the bike should be much-better than the OEM set-up.

Be sure and report back about their performance once you've gotten some use out of them. With a premium set of 17" sport radials and some front end fettling, the bike should be much-better than the OEM set-up.
Dear @Fire-medic , maybe you remember we had some nice emails when I got the VMax as a XMas gift from my lady. I followed your professional advise and had luck to get beautiful forged rims from a German company PVM with no spot and for relatively small bucks.
My Maxie had only 2 owners, the main owner has already invested in progressive front springs from a company called Wilbers Wilbers Suspension Manufaktur | VMX-12 1200 Vmax | 2 EN / 2LT / 2WE | purchase online

and special bearings for steering and crank from a modder called "Emil Schwarz" who is quite well known over here for hand made precision parts (HD and VMax).

So lets see how it performs. Today is the day the exhaust gets re-assembled, I am sweating in advance 🙃

Yesterday I took the akcropovich mufflers off to see how loud it would be with no mufflers, fired it up and damn it’s loud. Put the mufflers back on for now. Whole process took about 15 minutes. I liked the wide open sound but I don’t know if my neighbors would. Oh well, they can move then.

Rebuilding carbs today going behind a shop in Florida that apparently does not do good work.

Attachments

• 20220327_165731.jpg
    20220327_165731.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220327_164625.jpg
    20220327_164625.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220327_164618.jpg
    20220327_164618.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220327_143730.jpg
    20220327_143730.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220327_143723.jpg
    20220327_143723.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220327_143718.jpg
    20220327_143718.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 25
Well I may be stoned or kicked off the site, but I put some short gp tips on my Gen 2. I wanted it loud and I am pretty sure I was successful. I ordered them because they were not real expensive and thought I’d give them a try. This thing sound like a race care now! Let the flaming begin. 8D678BB4-8EF5-4760-946D-554A9B152922.jpegCB4E543E-2A7F-4B48-A99F-545802C5B475.jpegCB4E543E-2A7F-4B48-A99F-545802C5B475.jpeg8D678BB4-8EF5-4760-946D-554A9B152922.jpeg57319BEA-B015-42BC-A653-F501A82F85EF.jpeg

More carb work today. I hope I can get caught up on the mechanical work one day soon. I am ready to do some painting again
Hey Kyle are you using an ultra sonic to get those lookin so good?
I just got one an am impressed, I look around the shop for stuff to clean
just to throw something at it and it does a great job every time.
20210925_112300.jpg20210925_112403.jpg

Cmon man ,we need a good sound clip!
I’ll make one when I get home today from work, I made a short one for my son yesterday and it was late in the evening so I could really whap it. Went to about 3k rpm’s and it’s unbelievable. I actually don’t think they look that bad, they clean up the completely open exhaust sound. Cars seem to stay back much further now, probably because it’s to loud for them while they’re on their phones. I don’t think it’s much louder than my Gen 1 with a dale walker holeshot, bike appears to run the same as with the akropovich mufflers but with more torque. Am I missing something? Can this harm the engine in any way? I don’t see how I’m the only person who’s done this but I could not find anything on the web with a Gen 2 set up like this. So is it a good thing or should I take em off?

Doing something to provoke unwanted attention from The Man may result in vehicular citations, confiscation and impoundment of your ride, and depending upon your license status, suspension of your driving privileges, or even revocation.

In this climate where law enforcement officers are being shot on traffic stops, sometimes fatally, do you think it's a mature decision to taunt a law enforcement officer because of your desire to eliminate federally-mandated equipment on your motorcycle? Try quoting Tupac next time you get stopped, and inform us how that went. And no, I won't hold your beer.

Remember mass-murderer Timothy McVeigh was apprehended because he decided that he didn't need to display an automobile license plate. Driving or riding is a privilege, not a 'right,' failure to comply with codes, ordinances, and statutes could put you onto the kerb instead of enjoying time in the saddle.

I’ll make one when I get home today from work, I made a short one for my son yesterday and it was late in the evening so I could really whap it. Went to about 3k rpm’s and it’s unbelievable. I actually don’t think they look that bad, they clean up the completely open exhaust sound. Cars seem to stay back much further now, probably because it’s to loud for them while they’re on their phones. I don’t think it’s much louder than my Gen 1 with a dale walker holeshot, bike appears to run the same as with the akropovich mufflers but with more torque. Am I missing something? Can this harm the engine in any way? I don’t see how I’m the only person who’s done this but I could not find anything on the web with a Gen 2 set up like this. So is it a good thing or should I take em off?
Liking the sound and being just about the only gen2 with that set-up would be enough reason to keep'em .

1648905613035.png

I bought a used ZX-7 that had that type of an exhaust tip. It was obnoxiously-loud. I parted the bike out.

Yeah I have a 15 liter one they work great
Yea , just saw it in the post I missed were you showed it.
What do you use in yours? I used some old Gunk carb cleaner
but was told about a mild sonic specific cleaner that would be more than
enough for even the old carb off my lawn mower.
I had the can of gunk handy and thought why not use it up anyway
instead of having to go buy the sonic fluid.
The little machine is amazing for getting stuff as clean as they do
while making the weird noises that they do.

Latest posts

Back