what do you do with your gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutera2112

Reaction score
when you arrive wherever youre going? i have riding jeans to wear when its cool out, and then i would just leave them on and carry my helmet with me, and probably just leave my jacket on as well...

but in the summer time ill be using my bike to commute to school, and its gonna suck carrying around my jacket, pants, and helmet all day...i have pants to slip over my shorts for while im riding, but i wont wanna wear them all day

what do you guys do? ide be afraid to use my helmet lock...someone would just cut hte straps...and if i looped my jacket through it, ide be afraid someone would yank the jacket trying to steal it and pull the bike over...

anyone use a locking luggage bag or anything? or a certain way to secure your gear to the bike? etc

i hate that in our society we have to worry so much about thieves to the point of inconveniencing ourselves just to protect our things

A buddy of mine throws his leather on the ground and parks his front tire on it. I think he's crazy but I guess thats because well,,, he is!! few people will **CK w/ your ride in public, especialy if your patched up. Roll up and give the pipes a good clearing out, shut the bike off, then look around w/ the best pissed off look you got and say really loudly, ( anybody even looks at my scooter and I'll beat the sh*t out of every mothers son of you!!!) then say ( I"LL BE BACK!!) and stomp away with a look on your face that says you would burn down an orphanage for a half a can of warm beer.

You get more done with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone...

Al capone.

Do they have lockers at your school? At the gym, maybe?

I'd look for a faculty member that rides, maybe store your gear in their office, if possible.

We have a locker room with a coat rack at work, everybody know who stuff to not mess with. But I'm 6 ft, 240, I can get away with it.

I took my gear to class with me, then I just put it in my napsack after I took out my books and notpads, then put it on the floor along side my desk with the helmet on top of it.

I usually wear leather gloves and jacket, jeans and sometimes leather riding boots.I lock it all in my room. Even in parking slot in a basement I don't trust anybody.
I have hear stories about guys cutting the strap from the helmet, then your helmet lock is becoming useless.

I have bar end locks on both sides. Gloves go in the helmet, The arms of my jacket get threaded onto the bar then the D ring gets locked to the bar end to hold the jacket on. I also have an alarm. I was paranoid but have never had anything messed with. Alarm does all the work, if the bike is touched it chirps.

I bought Fat Max hard bags. Not cheap, but worth it if you use your bike for transportation. They will hold a coat, boots, overpants and gloves, no sweat. The bags lock, but would be easy to break into if a MF'ing thief was really motivated. On the other hand, I depend on the fact that the MF'er would attract attention in the process--something he wouldn't want to do. My helmet is two years old now, and I just put it over the right side mirror, figuring who would want a helmet I sweat in regularly? If I come out and it's gone, I'll buy a new one and put a chain and lock in my bags and lock it to the bars or something. Yeah, the helmet lock is useless on Max--too close to hot exhaust.

I ride without the bags whenever I don't need them--they slip off easily.

I also have a Body Glove backpack. I can throw everything in it, and it has a fabric handle that makes it easy to carry. I like the Max without bags, and the backpack works, but you are stuck carrying it.

Hope this helps

Riding to work is less than 5 miles for me, so I only wear helmet, gloves, jacket, and hiking boots. At my office I put my bug splattered helmet on top of my computer tower with gloves inside and jacket get hung on the back of my chair. I work in a secure area so only few people ever get into my area.

I've been riding for 3 years now in lforida, where bikes are everywhere all year long. Everything from Harley's to crotch rockets and everything in between. I've been to some scarry holes in back alleys to The Hilton. And I have never heard of anyone I know of of having their gear stolen. Never, Not once.
I always just throw my jacket and crap over the seat and hang the helmet on the end of the handle bar.
But if you still can't get past your fear of someone stealing your gear. Just get a backpack that you can stuff all the gear in and carry it with you. It's that or saddle bags.

FL you can ride w/out a helmet right? Only thing that would suck about a helmet being stolen here in MA is i couldn't ride the bike home w/out one.

I'm all about locking gear up in boxes. I've had stuff stolen off of my bikes on multiple occasions, always from non-locking luggage. I'm not putting any locking bags on the max, so I use a cable lock for my helmet, and then simply won't use it if I go anywhere that will force me to leave crap with the bike.

At work and school, I can take stuff inside and lock it up. Otherwise, I'll use the rocket, which has locking hard bags and a locking trunk for my various junk. If you must ride the max to places where you cannot lock stuff up, I would recommend at least getting a locking trunk.

Luggage is SOOOO convenient on a bike.

i might look into the fat max hard bags...those look nice, is there any alternatives that arent as costly? right now its looking like im just gonna have to carry my gear around campus with me...may throw my pants in my bookbag, and just carry my jacket and helmet

It's been a hell of a long time since I was on a campus of any size. I only have my pants on at the drag strip and they go on in the morning and off at the end of the event. My jacket went with me into the class and either on the back of the chair or next to me. The helmet was either locked on to the bike with the helmet lock or even sitting on the mirror stem or backrest upright. Wasn't worried about the helmet getting stolen. Gloves were usually tucked into the helmet.

Even now at most events I just drape the jacket on the bike if I take it off (across the seat) as well as putting my helmet on the mirror or backrest.

Sean

i might look into the fat max hard bags...those look nice, is there any alternatives that arent as costly? right now its looking like im just gonna have to carry my gear around campus with me...may throw my pants in my bookbag, and just carry my jacket and helmet

You could just not go to school :)

I'm kidding, of course. I'm heading to "campus" myself in about 2.5 hours for my Chemistry 222 lecture. I've got lab tomorrow. :bang head:

For the record, I left the bike at home.

If and when I have to leave my gear with the bike I use a cable lock through the helmet and jacket sleeve locking it to the grab bar. I make sure the cable lock is visable so no one tries to pull the bike over.
Locks are to keep honest people honest. If the SOB POS MF'er wants it he's going to get it.

If and when I have to leave my gear with the bike I use a cable lock through the helmet and jacket sleeve locking it to the grab bar. I make sure the cable lock is visable so no one tries to pull the bike over.
Locks are to keep honest people honest. If the SOB POS MF'er wants it he's going to get it.

+1 on the cable lock....

A couple of years back I put one of those double helmet lock assy that mount on my license plate and that holds mine and the mrs' helmets......and starting this past season did the cable lock through the sleeve maneuver for our jackets......works great.....I always hated walking around events with my jacket constantly slipping off my shoulder the entire time.......major improvement!!

It's been a hell of a long time since I was on a campus of any size. I only have my pants on at the drag strip and they go on in the morning and off at the end of the event. My jacket went with me into the class and either on the back of the chair or next to me. The helmet was either locked on to the bike with the helmet lock or even sitting on the mirror stem or backrest upright. Wasn't worried about the helmet getting stolen. Gloves were usually tucked into the helmet.

Even now at most events I just drape the jacket on the bike if I take it off (across the seat) as well as putting my helmet on the mirror or backrest.

Sean

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Am I the only one that thinks Sean needs to wear more at the drag strip ?

Back