What does this diode do

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same thing any Diode does, it Only allows current to flow in one direction.

Cant tell without seeing the actually manual scematic. But looks like its in line with battery possibly. Only allowing current to flow from batter on that specific portion of the harness

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

To stop feedback into (protect) whatever is in the opposite direction from the allowed current flow.
It does appear to be there to protect the battery, but like Matt I don't know exactly what it's tied into.

A diode is like a check valve that passes positive DC (or the positive sequence portion of an AC waveform) in only one direction.

Didn`t see you photo of the diode. but if it the one inch black diode that plugs into the harness in front of the carbs, it controls allot of functions. Clutch, kickstand, stop switch, and power flow to the ignitor box. Hope this helps.

The diode in question is actually a diode block - it contains a number of diodes.

Connected to it are:
- clutch switch / side stand switch / TCI
- oil warning lamp
- start switch / starter relay
- oil lever sensor
- fuel light / fuel sensor / fuel pump relay
- neutral light / neutral switch / starter circuit cutoff relay

As previously mentioned, it allows current to flow one way but not the other, basically providing a way to connect all of the above together but only allow the juice to go one way as needed.

A broken diode can screw with all of the above!

The above two responses are referring to the "diode assy" -part number 32 on the schematic . It does what Naughty lists.
As for #14 - is it exposed, or taped into the harness? A photograph would be nice. In-line diodes are shown on the wiring diagrams on Morley's site -click on "How-to" then wiring diagrams.
Cheers!

yup, #32 is the pack of diodes in front of the airbox somewhere

#14 isn't on mine, could it be there to protect the battery from when the regulator/rectifier goes south?

Power to the flux capacitor, but in the event of a catastrophic overload, the battery will not explode along with the flux capacitor, thereby saving yer azz, but not necessarily yer ballz. :confused2:

Mr. Hooligan-
I went back to your original thread re electrical problems - you said you have an 1989 Max, with a 1988 wiring harness.
The schematic from the parts supplier that you link to is for 2001 models.
Soooo, I used the same link to look up the diagrams ("Electrical 2")for the 88 models (4 of them). None of them have a #14 diode in the vicinity(main fuse?) of the 2001 model.
There is a #15 diode, same part number that you quoted, but in an entirely different spot on the harness - it looks to coming from the fan area.
Hope this helps!

Mr. Hooligan-
I went back to your original thread re electrical problems - you said you have an 1989 Max, with a 1988 wiring harness.
The schematic from the parts supplier that you link to is for 2001 models.
Soooo, I used the same link to look up the diagrams ("Electrical 2")for the 88 models (4 of them). None of them have a #14 diode in the vicinity(main fuse?) of the 2001 model.
There is a #15 diode, same part number that you quoted, but in an entirely different spot on the harness - it looks to coming from the fan area.
Hope this helps!

The old wiring harness has a stand-alone diode for the Oil Level sensor/warning light
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=32754

Latest posts

Back