What does this jumper do? Video included.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like the three-pin connector for the ignition switch. The red wire is the always-hot supply from the battery, the brown feeds the fuse box when the switch is "on", the blue feeds the taillight and front running lights when the switch is in "park"
Why he would need jumpers off the red and blue is anyone's guess. Accessories of some type?
This connector is prone to failure. The plastic insulation melts between the spade terminals, and sometimes shorts between the red and brown wires - so that the bike will not shut off, when the ignition switch is turned off.
Any idea what the two jumper wires were connected to???

Might have been for a 3-wire voltmeter....hot all the time (red), switched power (Blue) and a suitable ground somewhere for the black.

Yeah, that would be the last connector I would consider as a donor for an add-on accessory.....very often it can't even support itself!

I have no idea what they went to. I just happen to have the air box off looking at the vboost setup and I just saw it.

Good chance to inspect and lube that badboy connector with dielectric grease, while you have it exposed.
If you leave the jumpers in place, remember they are both"hot" wires - tape them up well to prevent shorts to ground.
Like Danny said, they could be used for extra goodies in the future. The red would be ideal for a voltmeter, because it would give the truest indication of battery voltage. The blue lead could be used to power up another parking light or two - maybe sidelights?
Cheers!

Alright, I found out where it went. There is a little light on my dash that didn't do anything and I found out why. The wires had been cut and taped up as though the PO installed it and then disconnected it later. Check it out below. So with this light setup, it would let me know that the tail light is on?

Attachments

• 2012-10-30 18.59.49.jpg
    2012-10-30 18.59.49.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back