What size PVC to put the fork seals back in?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledhead212

Reaction score
I have the forks apart for some paint work on the bottoms. What size PVC are you people using to get the upper bushings and oil seals back in? Where did you get it? Looked at local hardware (home center), 1.5" too small, 2.0" too large. Do they make 1.75"?

I would be greatful for any info.

Sledhead

I have the forks apart for some paint work on the bottoms. What size PVC are you people using to get the upper bushings and oil seals back in? Where did you get it? Looked at local hardware (home center), 1.5" too small, 2.0" too large. Do they make 1.75"?

Sledhead

If the memory serves, I used a 1 1/2" coupling, or maybe it was a coupling with a 3/4" 'T' off it....something with a 1 1/2" ID anyhow.

If that's bad info you can gently tap them down with a piece of wood, they go in pretty easy.

Just lube them up with a little lithium grease.

1.5" ID PVC will not fit over fork tube. 2" is too large to get into the bottom of the fork. Bike is a 04. Looks like the prev owner did the progressive springs. Tube is 43mm or 1.75" apx in dia.

1.5" ID PVC will not fit over fork tube. 2" is too large to get into the bottom of the fork. Bike is a 04. Looks like the prev owner did the progressive springs. Tube is 43mm or 1.75" apx in dia.

Then I guess it was a 2" coupling and I ground down one end to fit in the lower tube....:confused2:

1 1/2" THIN WALL pvc not schedule 40, with a coupling. Just did my 04 a couple of months ago. Took one fork leg with me to Ace hardware store.

Stuff came back from paint last night. Got the bushings in with some tounge depressors. I'll run to the Ace store in town and see if they have any pipe with an ID of 1.75 and a OD under 2.00. Starting to wonder if the forks are stock?!?!?

It sure makes the installation easier if you have it, did mine a couple of days ago and everything went well. But I have the old type fork tubes and the PVC pipe size was 1 1/2" SCH 40

Found a plastic coupler that fit (kinda tight) but it did the job. On the 2004's is the oil to be filled to the 4.85" from the top of the tube (compressed) with no spring installed?

Found a plastic coupler that fit (kinda tight) but it did the job. On the 2004's is the oil to be filled to the 4.85" from the top of the tube (compressed) with no spring installed?

YES if your re-installing the stock springs. however, if installing aftermarket springs follow the manufacturers rec's.

Got the bike back together and took it for a ride. Much better than before (one side was leaking rather badly). Now we need more sun and less rain.

Sledhead

I just went thru this too a couple of weeks ago. The internet lists 1.75" diameter pvc tubing but nobody carries it. No demand appearantely.

What I did with my 1.5" tubing (Thanks to Sean's suggestion) was to cut it to a length just longer than from seal to past top of fork while compressed. Then cut it in half length-wise. With a second person, one held the tubing in place and the other tapped on the pvc to seat the seal.

Worked well....and cheap.

Sounds similar to what I did Mike.

I used a 1.5" coupling. I sliced it, inserted it into a 2" coupling on the end of a 2" piece of pipe. Sounds like all I needed to do was buy some schedule 10 drain pipe and a coupling but my way was free. I found all the scraps at work.

I think I am confused. Are the oil seals installed while the leg is installed in the lower?

on a side note i did my xr250 forks this last week and the damper rod is set up so you can pull the slider about 3" out of the fork leg without dismantle. how sweet is that?

Back