What weight of oil.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what weight of oil

• 10-30

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 10-40

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 20-50

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • other

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
Ok, all good answers and info...so next question....if I switch to 20/50 because of Oklahoma summers.....(over a hundred) is there a possibility of it hurting the Vmax? Will it add a couple pounds of pressure at hot idle? Will it offer more protection? Or am I better off doing Seans upgraded oil system and the like.

:ummm:

Here is a pretty good read.
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Yamaha Recommends using 15W40 (or YamaLube 20W40) for temps up to 120 F.
You probably wouldn't have any issues with 20W50.
I used 15W40 for years in my Vmax when I lived in Raleigh, NC and summer temps regularly hit 95 - 100 F without any problems.
The Attached picture is from the Owners manual.

Attachments

• VMax_Recommended_oil_weight.jpg
    VMax_Recommended_oil_weight.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 39
Yamaha Recommends using 15W40 (or YamaLube 20W40) for temps up to 120 F.
You probably wouldn't have any issues with 20W50.
I used 15W40 for years in my Vmax when I lived in Raleigh, NC and summer temps regularly hit 95 - 100 F without any problems.
The Attached picture is from the Owners manual.

Ok thank you very much for the info....what prompted this conversation was being stuck in rush hour traffic in FT Worth last summer in June....The bike and me, got very HOT!!!

All I run in Toxic is 20/50 Castrol. Have had very good luck and it seems to maintain its viscosity across all the temperature ranges I ride in.

You could always blend your own using the same brand/type 2Qts 10w40 and 2qts 20w50 = 4 qts of 15w45
:)

Went to napa today for some rotella t 15w-40. On the way out I saw napa 15w-40 on sale for ten bucks a gallon. I kept my rotella, but I thought that was a good deal if anyones interested.

Went to napa today for some rotella t 15w-40. On the way out I saw napa 15w-40 on sale for ten bucks a gallon. I kept my rotella, but I thought that was a good deal if anyones interested.

I've seen good reviews on the napa diesel oil. I just started putting it in some dirtbikes for a trial run

I've always used Rotella T 5w40 in my turbo Subaru. Good stuff. Can anyone tell me if they have a synthetic 15w40?

I've always used Rotella T 5w40 in my turbo Subaru. Good stuff. Can anyone tell me if they have a synthetic 15w40?
No, The Shell Rotella T 15W0 is Regular Oil but it is JASO MA Complient (or Motorcycle Use).

They make a Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic that's also JASO MA Compliant.
Personally I use the Regular Rotella T 15W40 and have been for over 10years now without any issues.

Back