whats everyone riding this year for tires?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowmaxalot

Reaction score
Ive got a 93 max and im shopping for a new tire ive had ton's of diffrent tires but this year i want to step up to a 170/80-15 and i was thinkin about getting a avon venom but some people said that different tires run wider than others and i wanted some input. anyone had this tire? in a 170 /80 or can suggest a good tire that wont have any clearance issues?

I am not a big fan of the Avons but that is just my oppinion. I have had very good luck with the Metzler ME 880 & the Shinko 230 Tourmaster. Some people have had complaints about the Shinko but I have had them on 4 diffrent Vmax's now with no ill effects.

Dunlops for now, if I ever get enough ride time to wear these out gonna switch to Metzlers..........

I run a Shinko Tourmaster 230 in a 170/80 and getting set to install my sixth one with no issues with any of them. The stick well but they normally wear out ~ 5000 miles but at $75 they are easy to replace.

Still have the stocker up front, it's holding up very well considering it's 4th season. Metz ME 880 in 170 flavor out back.

Dunlops for now, if I ever get enough ride time to wear these out gonna switch to Metzlers..........

I am in the same boat as you. I'm still burning through my Dunlops.
How are things down in The Boot? ( I lived up in Shreveport for 6 years)
Sure do miss fresh out the pot mudbugs.

I just found out I can supply the Kenda tires in a 170/80 and stock size front. Got a set in for a Honda we had in the shop as was quite surprised at how decent it actually ended up being.

Sean

I am in the same boat as you. I'm still burning through my Dunlops.
How are things down in The Boot? ( I lived up in Shreveport for 6 years)
Sure do miss fresh out the pot mudbugs.

Lots of flooding in the parishes around the mighty Misisp. Mudbugs are plentyful and going boil 3 sacks next weekend . Lot of friends coming over, get you a ticket and come on down.

I got to get a set of Metzlers so I can see what a good tire feels like.

Of course I am thinking about upgrading to radials, but that is a ways down on the mod list. In the mean time I am sure I will probably replace the Dunlops I have now with Metzelers in the short term.

And I would LOVE to come down and get some fresh 'bugs.

I am running the ME 880 and have 5,000 on them and looks like they will go 10,000. I do not do burn outs

Running a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact, 190 at the back and 120 on front.
So far they look to be pretty sticky so I'm happy.
Let's see how long will they will last

I'm running Shinko's with no issues. Good grip, decent on a wet road,resonable price. I was hoping they'd be the last bias ply tires I'd put on, but the money isn't pouring in right now. I'd have to say the Shinko's have been better than I'd expected. I ran Metzlers on other bikes and really liked them too.
Steve

Currently all Metzler 880's on both Max's. 170 Rear fit absolutely perfect on the 94. Still lots of clearance to the swing arm...

if you don't mind mixing and matching the shinko verge 011 are very sticky for a rear.

got both the avons and metz and i prefer the mtez. the avons seem a little more slippery to me on the dry. Then again could just be the bike making more power. The metz are wearing great, and have a real good feel when leaning the bike right over to the pegs.

Shinko 203's spooned on over the winter here. So far they seem to be the best tire Ive tried yet. The 170 fits fine with 1/4" to spare on my 99 model. Ive run the Metz 880's before on my previous vmax and had good results too.The stock Dunlops are horrid. I'll take the reduced milage of the 203's for their improved grip myself.

Back