Where were you 09/11/01 ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
This is one of those questions that gets brought up every year. Everyone that Ive ever asked that question to IMMEDIATELY remembers....and goes back to that time.

I was working as a Paramedic on a truck. I walked into the station....and the other crew was talking about the first plane going into the tower. Everyone was just dumbfounded....How could this happen? What kind of horrible mistake happened, to allow a jet to fly into one of the twin towers?

I was watching the news when the 2nd plane hit....thats when my partner and I knew that this was intentional.

The service that I worked for, covered both Duncan Ok, and Marlow Ok. There wasnt a SINGLE ambulance call between both trucks for the entire 24 hrs.

When I got home (the next day) I was watching the news, and I watched the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace. For its entire history, God save the Queen was played....except for 9/12/01. The Star Spangled Banner was played.

I couldnt help it, and started crying. I was touched by such a simple...and kind gesture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_2P7Z7mOw

I was having the fuel filter changed in my work truck in preparation for a large tank testing project that was kicking off that morning.

The mechanics wife ran out to the shop and said "you guys better come in the house and see this!" I also saw the second plane hit and the buildings collapse.

The project I was starting was with the NYS Division of Military & Naval Affairs and took on an immediate and drastic change! Jersey barriers were set up, armed National Guardsmen everywhere....and here I am showing up in a black p/u with a black enclosed cargo trailer in tow!

It was touchy for a while.

I was right here, at work, same as I am today - except that today I hope there are no major news events that will pre-empt normal TV broadcasting.

Mooslims --- Fnck 'en kill them all - let God sort them out!

I was on my way to work in downtown Dallas, and since we were in a high rise building, as soon as we got there, they sent us all home as a precaution. Never forget that day.

I was working at a marina near Newport and came by the office to see everyone watching TV. The crew was silent, no one was talking.
I joined and saw the second plane hit our towers. I'll never forget what they did to us. Thanks for posting this thread Eric.
Steve

After studying basic flight instructions and taking an introductory flight out of Teterboro Airport, I was getting some knowledge of air traffic and what to look for while flying in and out of the NYC area. Flying over GWB, then the twin towers a week before 9/11. I enjoyed watching people take pictures of my little plane and waving at them, I never knew that this would be the last time I'd ever see anyone on top of the towers again. I got to work in Secaucus NJ on 9/11 and people were standing around the window stating that a small plane crashed into the one of the towers. When I saw the amount of smoke and damage, I told them, that seems to be bigger than a small plane. Hell, it if was the Cessna 182-S that I was in a week ago, it would have only been some broken glass at best. While talking with the folks here on the 9th floor of our building, I noticed a large jetliner cruising in low over the city. I stated to the people, "What the Hell is that?. THAT PLANE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!". Then BOOM!!!.. We could not hear the blast from our location but we saw the immense fireball shoot out the other side of the building. At that point, I told the people, "WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!". They all looked at me and asked, WHAT??.. I had to tell them that there is NO WAY 2 jet liners crashed into the towers by accident. Well, of course all hell started breaking loose in our location.. About 15 or so minutes later, we heard that Washington had been hit, then later in PA. By this time, they closed our NY, Washington and Pennsylvania offices and gave notice to clear all tall buildings in the area. While driving home and listening to the radio. I heard them say the 1st tower was starting to collapse. My heart dropped at that point and felt sick to my stomach.
I knew there would be massive lost of life.
I lived right across the water and I could feel the ground shaking as I drove home. When I finally got home, I opened up the back window and watched the 2nd tower come down.. I couldn't take it and broke down.

I was sitting in my office at work when I first heard it on the radio. Then went on the internet to see news broadcasts of the events.

I have taken a moment on this day every year to remember & pray for the men & women that were involved in this tragedy and especially to the brave EMS crews that gave their lives to save others. True Heros indeed.

Mike

Delivering a local auto hunter magazine I saw it on a TV in a towel heads convenient store . I will NEVER FORGET !

I was in second period in my US History class as a sophomore in high school. I can take you back to the exact desk I was sitting at when they came in and told us and turned it on the TV.

The attack on September 11th was a major contributing factor to my enlistment. We all knew when we signed up where we were going and what we would be doing when we got there. I was one of the lucky ones on both my deployments that got to come home to my family when we were finished.

I was driving to college in Bangor when I heard the first reports come over the radio. I did not think anything of it at that moment, because the reporters on the radio were giving out only what they was hearing, and I guess they was thinking it was an accidental collision from a smaller plane.

Thinking pretty much the same, I changed stations till I had music.

When I got to EMTC, and walked into the main building where my first class was, the lobby was pretty packed around the TV, and then, I realized that it was much more serious than the news reports I heard over the radio.

Then on the TV, I saw the 2nd plane hit.

I was floored. I knew there was no way that could have been accidental.

I did not go to class. I stood there watching.

When the Towers fell, I think I was to stunned to do anything but stand there numb.

Fifteen minutes or so later, we got the word that school was closed until further notice, and that we were instructed to go home. Once I got home, I immediately went onto the computer, and checked up on a friend. She worked in Tower Two.

She was sick that day, and had not gone into work. I breathed a sigh of relief, and then thats when it hit me. I was filled with rage at this point at what had happened. I wanted so very much to go back into the Marine Corps, but being 100% permanent service connected, I could not.

All I could do is take a knee, and pray for all those lost.

On the west coast --------
I used to leave for work a about 7am. With the news on, the reports stared comming in---- My wife and I were slackjawed ( wife--really). We watched as the second plane hit. School was put on a one hour delay. All we did in the shop classes that day was watch. Some talking but not much.

I know its the Christian thing to do--- forgive thine enemies, But really-- this is war. The Crusades started after years and years of fighting the Moors. Well the "Moors" have declared war on " non-Moors" Do we need another "Crusade"

On another note,
Didn't our "fearless leader" say there would be a coalition on Arab nations to fight the terrorists?? Are you kidding me:bang head:

Lew

Last edited:
This morning when I woke-up, I did the same thing I did when I went to bed, the night before, I said a prayer for the people who were the victims of September 11.

As I lay in bed, early today, I texted my friend with whom I used to work at a fire dep't. here in FL, he's retired from FDNY. He lost many personal friends and co-workers that day. I sent him a text saying that I remembered his co-workers and that I was sad that he lost them. I heard from him later today, he was on his way back from NC where he has a vacation home. He was glad to have heard from me, and was very appreciative of my message.

Three hundred forty-three FDNY members, gone.

I pray for all victims of extremist violence.

Some sobering statistics:

Total number killed in attacks in New York: 2,753

Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343
Number of NYPD officers: 23
Number of Port Authority police officers: 37
Number of WTC companies in the towers that lost people: 128
Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402
Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614
Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658
Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 2,343
Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115

Attachments

• Twin Trade Towers lights.jpg
    Twin Trade Towers lights.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 18
On Vacation in Orlando Fl. 9/11/2001. Inside one of the parks. Largest evacuation I ever saw. They evacuated and closed all parks for the day. Got back to hotel and stared at the tv the rest of the day. Once home from vacation could not believe it,being able to see the city skyline from home, they were gone.
RIPFLAGT43-2.jpg

I was at the gym at Eglin Air Force base. I saw the T.V. reporting the first impact and right when the second impact happen, the entire base initiated a recall and I was on my way to work within 10 minutes. At the time I was attached to Hurlburt Field a special operations base. that day was about a 20 hour day for me. We were packing up and I found my self saying goodbye to my wife on 17 Sep heading out without knowing where we were going (it was classified). Its been nothing but deployments every year since and it looks like with ISIS it'll be starting all over again. Time for the younger generation to take over, im at 21 years now and it will be time to retire very soon.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

I was at the gym at Eglin Air Force base. I saw the T.V. reporting the first impact and right when the second impact happen, the entire base initiated a recall and I was on my way to work within 10 minutes. At the time I was attached to Hurlburt Field a special operations base. that day was about a 20 hour day for me. We were packing up and I found my self saying goodbye to my wife on 17 Sep heading out without knowing where we were going (it was classified). Its been nothing but deployments every year since and it looks like with ISIS it'll be starting all over again. Time for the younger generation to take over, im at 21 years now and it will be time to retire very soon.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

I wish to thank you for your service to this country.

An AC/Heatiung crew had just arrived at my home to being installation of a complete new system and ducts. The crew leader, a friend of mine, rushed me into the house and had me turn on the tv.

I saw the second plane as it crashed into the tower from instant video on CNN. I've never seen that footage again. If you'd seen it you would never forget it. I'm sure the government has it.

I'm sure we knew this was going to happen.

I was sitting in an Army recruiters' office filling out some paperwork for my enlistment when it came on the TV in the lobby. I was thinking that it must be some kind of messed up movie or something. Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch just as the second tower fell. The commander looked at me and said "you ready to go to war?" I said, "you think we will have to go?" "I guarantee you will." he said. I finished up my paperwork and headed to MEPS the following Monday. A few months later, I was dug in with 10th Mountain calling in some payback!

Latest posts

Back