Which Gen should I get?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I agree, I enjoy driving. So I don't mind the round trip. Doesn't seem like it will work out with one seller. So I will be working with the other. The one I have found is a numbered bike. So that sounds like it is a plus. Cross your fingers for me, I'll be discussing with the seller tomorrow.

What is the deal with the "forward controls"? Do those move both the shifter and the brake forward more like a cruiser? That may be a desirable option. Or are they just foot pegs for your feet?
They do extend the controls forward and helps with leg room. From what I hear from my friend, they give you the laid back cruiser effect. Makes the Gen 1 more comfortable driving long distances. I don't need something like that myself. If I'm gonna drive further than down town, I'll be camping out...:rolleyes:

I know I'm a little late for the party. But I have looked for the ultimate gen1 Vmax for over three decades. Probably had it with a yellow 94 I had 10 years ago, but I let it go foolishly. I came across an 86 one owner bike couple years ago that had been sitting for 10 years. Although it was dirty and needed some serious love, underneath it all was the best specimen I have ever laid my hands on. And my number of gen1s now... while small by comparison with some of the guys here... is 7 machines. Yeah, I'm aware of the incremental upgrades in later years. BFD. There's more to a gen1 than those upgrades.

So, once I had determined it was "the one", I opened up the wallet and spent a little money on it. It looks good as it runs and I'm at peace with the way it turned out. Yes, a Gen 2 might be more refined, more powerful, better handling... But it's not a gen 1. Raw, unrefined, loud, raucous, unapologetic and oh-so-satisfying.

Get the Gen 1.

Nothing compares.

DE255879-4245-4C09-826D-8B00B02B6CF4.jpeg

Last edited:
the gen 2 will not only cost twice as much to buy as a gen 1 but will probably cost twice as much to run with servicing costs from what I've read in these forum pages, plus it ate too many cakes,
it's not just speed that makes the bikes what they are it is whether you like input as a rider, can you handle the adrenaline rush of the original legendary bucking bronco and say ''oh yeah I tamed that'' or do you just want to ride a race horse

A Vmax has always been a dream of mine. Since the early 90's. I've owned other bikes, loved them, but a Vmax is an unfulfilled dream. In the early years, I always gave the bike a demerit, because the air scoops were fake. Then Yamaha heard of my complaint, and fixed the problem. I've also always heard of the handling problems in the older versions of the bike.

I am now 57 years old, I've waited long enough. I can afford to live the dream, but because I waited so long, there are some additional things I have to consider.

I broke my neck in '98, on a snowmobile, paralyzed from the neck down, for two months. But unlike many, they actually brought me back to full functionality. Although I am far less "fit" than I was. But make no mistake, still functional. But to that end, I'm not buying this bike to run the twisties at 100 mph. Rather, I want to ride it as a commuter, noting the admiring fans of my new ride, and to spend my weekends washing, waxing, and fiddling with it to keep it in prime shape.

So my question is: Should I go the conservative route, and buy a Gen I, that would be probably be the easier to handle. Or should I buy a Gen II, that has the active scoops I always dreamed of, but may need to ask for help, if it ever falls over, as I doubt I'd be able to lift a 700 lb bike by myself?

I have found an "all original" "98", with low miles, that is very reasonable, and near my location. This bike is everything, except the handling and the "active" air scoops. Is the "98" a good year? Should I just go for it?

But there are some "cherry" Gen II's out there, that are every bit the bike I want. But, well, you get my dilemna.

I'd welcome any and all advice, along with things you think I may be missing in my thinking.

Pete
Lafayette, LA
Mine is a 98, and she has been wonderful. I put 3k miles on her in a week this summer and she didn't blink. Drag raced the rest of the group and she stomped them soundly. I'm at 22k miles and I've just picked up some custom bits for her. I'll be riding her till she croaks or I do. Just do it.

Why is this even an argument if you got the money a gen 2 is by far fully the better bike even if you spend a wheelbarrow of money on a gen 1 to make it”better” lip stick on a pig it still will not even come close to a gen 2 I have had both gone away and came back to a gen 2 it’s Japanese engineering at its finest gen 1 is cute and all but the step up to the closet psycho big brother is not even comparable the only thing that the gen one has over the gen 2 is nostalgia engineering is not even in the same ballpark
Just my 2 cents

I agree , buy both . I have had 2 gen 1's and then a year ago I bought a gen 2 and I love it , but I missed my gen 1 so I just bought another gen 1. I fell in love with the very first Vmax when I was in 9nth grade and there still isn't a cooler bike out there . I can tell you this , my gen 2 is a BEAST compared to the gen 1, but both are awesome bikes.

Wow. Tell us more about how Gen 1 Vmax's suck.
Easy there !
I didn’t say a gen 1 sucked I liked mine very much great rage machine what I said was that between the 2 there is no comparison all fine and Dandy to have one of each but given the choice nostalgia does not drive logic and hands down my money went on a gen 2 it’s a no brainer for me
I could have spent all kinds of money taking a stock 2005 to an extreme and it still would not even be close to a stock gen 2
To each their own
I still may pick up a battered and farkled gen 1 for a winter rocket on ice

Lipstick on a pig and cute? Come on man. You come onto the Vmax forum that existed long before the GEN two came out and crack on a machine that endured for 22 years? I could have and thought about acquiring a GEN2 long ago. I opted not to.

why? If you look at my dwindling stable, you’ll find a common theme. I prefer my motorcycles distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Pure machine. No frills. Machine that is maintainable for the most part for decades to come. One requires gas and oil and may be another liquid or two. One that you can repair by the side of the road.

One that stirs your soul. Not one that provides phallic bragging rights. I don’t often get rubbed the wrong way, but comments like yours above regarding a beloved legendary motorcycle that has stood the test of time chaps my ass.

Lipstick on a pig and cute? Come on man. You come onto the Vmax forum that existed long before the GEN two came out and crack on a machine that endured for 22 years? I could have and thought about acquiring a GEN2 long ago. I opted not to.

why? If you look at my dwindling stable, you’ll find a common theme. I prefer my motorcycles distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Pure machine. No frills. Machine that is maintainable for the most part for decades to come. One requires gas and oil and may be another liquid or two. One that you can repair by the side of the road.

One that stirs your soul. Not one that provides phallic bragging rights. I don’t often get rubbed the wrong way, but comments like yours above regarding a beloved legendary motorcycle that has stood the test of time chaps my ass.
Nice
Yep I’m on a vmax forum
Maybe you should rub some oil into the crack of your ass to deal with the chaffing
As for a phallic reference I get a big chubby when I throw my leg over that big nasty bitch
I don’t have a stable full of bikes doesn’t do anything for me
As far as maintenance goes if I break dow that bad and that would be fully on me I will have it towed to my shop and take care of business there but break downs don’t happen not that they can’t but I do have a very regimented winter maintenance program to avoid clusterf&$)( in season we all got opinions and a gen 1 is a cute little brother in my opinion to the big nasty gen 2
Cheers
Peter
Rubber down

A Vmax has always been a dream of mine. Since the early 90's. I've owned other bikes, loved them, but a Vmax is an unfulfilled dream. In the early years, I always gave the bike a demerit, because the air scoops were fake. Then Yamaha heard of my complaint, and fixed the problem. I've also always heard of the handling problems in the older versions of the bike.

I am now 57 years old, I've waited long enough. I can afford to live the dream, but because I waited so long, there are some additional things I have to consider.

I broke my neck in '98, on a snowmobile, paralyzed from the neck down, for two months. But unlike many, they actually brought me back to full functionality. Although I am far less "fit" than I was. But make no mistake, still functional. But to that end, I'm not buying this bike to run the twisties at 100 mph. Rather, I want to ride it as a commuter, noting the admiring fans of my new ride, and to spend my weekends washing, waxing, and fiddling with it to keep it in prime shape.

So my question is: Should I go the conservative route, and buy a Gen I, that would be probably be the easier to handle. Or should I buy a Gen II, that has the active scoops I always dreamed of, but may need to ask for help, if it ever falls over, as I doubt I'd be able to lift a 700 lb bike by myself?

I have found an "all original" "98", with low miles, that is very reasonable, and near my location. This bike is everything, except the handling and the "active" air scoops. Is the "98" a good year? Should I just go for it?

But there are some "cherry" Gen II's out there, that are every bit the bike I want. But, well, you get my dilemna.

I'd welcome any and all advice, along with things you think I may be missing in my thinking.

Pete
Lafayette, LA

I have both a Gen 1 and Gen 2. I recommend picking up the later year Gen 1 due to your physical issues. Plus that is the bike you've been wanting as a dream bike. Here is a factor: How tall are you? I ask because the Gen 2 sits pretty high and it is a big motorcycle. It is heavy handling until you get up to speed. The Gen 1 is more user friendly to me, just jump on and go. You also get the V-Boost with the Gen 1 and that is something to experience. Now if you can swing it, get both models. You can try them out and decide which to keep and which one to resell or just keep both. Then you have double fiddling in the garage.
I love my Gen 1 and the Gen 2 is fun, but if it came down to selling, I would keep the Gen 1.

Gen 1:

Pros:
Easy to ride
Not too big, not too heavy
Fun to ride with V-Boost
Lots of them around for purchase
Lower purchase price
Lots of spare parts (22 years of production)
145 horsepower
Simple to work on
No catalytic converter

Cons:
2nd gear
Starter clutch
gas mileage
Carburetors
Solder issues on some wiring
Small battery
Non radial tires
Frame
Ageing machines

Gen 2:

Pros:
200 horsepower
YCC-I and YCC-T (Variable intake and throttle by wire)
Fuel Injection
High tech frame and suspension with lots of adjustments
Engine reliability
Functional scoops
Radial Tires
Fairly rare (11 year production)

Cons:
Big
Heavy
Gas mileage
Expensive
More difficult to work on some systems
No center stand
More complex technology
Limited spare parts compared to Gen 1
Catalytic Converter

It takes $$ to get an early Gen 1 up to snuff. Good news is, most mods can be done by an owner with average ability and tools. Radials, seat, brakes, and suspension are must do's IMHO. It will never end there though.

I have both a Gen 1 and Gen 2. I recommend picking up the later year Gen 1 due to your physical issues. Plus that is the bike you've been wanting as a dream bike. Here is a factor: How tall are you? I ask because the Gen 2 sits pretty high and it is a big motorcycle. It is heavy handling until you get up to speed. The Gen 1 is more user friendly to me, just jump on and go. You also get the V-Boost with the Gen 1 and that is something to experience. Now if you can swing it, get both models. You can try them out and decide which to keep and which one to resell or just keep both. Then you have double fiddling in the garage.
I love my Gen 1 and the Gen 2 is fun, but if it came down to selling, I would keep the Gen 1.

Gen 1:

Pros:
Easy to ride
Not too big, not too heavy
Fun to ride with V-Boost
Lots of them around for purchase
Lower purchase price
Lots of spare parts (22 years of production)
145 horsepower
Simple to work on
No catalytic converter

Cons:
2nd gear
Starter clutch
gas mileage
Carburetors
Solder issues on some wiring
Small battery
Non radial tires
Frame
Ageing machines

Gen 2:

Pros:
200 horsepower
YCC-I and YCC-T (Variable intake and throttle by wire)
Fuel Injection
High tech frame and suspension with lots of adjustments
Engine reliability
Functional scoops
Radial Tires
Fairly rare (11 year production)

Cons:
Big
Heavy
Gas mileage
Expensive
More difficult to work on some systems
No center stand
More complex technology
Limited spare parts compared to Gen 1
Catalytic Converter

Gen2 pros
don’t forget awesome braking (abs)

And airbox mod and a flash make a monster you really don’t need to go much further a blower maybe if your a really twisted psycho

Biased but a Gen 1 with 3+ swingarm, 18” wheels, custom seat, progressive forks and braided brake lines sounds like perfection. Granted you’ll have invested what you could get a nice Gen 2 for.

Pete
Lafayette, LA
Def gen 1 the 2s are hideous to me

Gen 2 all the way...had both. 85 and a 16 now. Gen 2's handle so much better and my bike is stock looking and I get sooo many compliments. Way more than my 85 did back in the day. By the way I am 59 and just got my 16 a little over a year ago, had many bikes in between the two Max's.

Back