Who know vmax carbs best

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHMax

Reaction score
I am looking to send my 1985 v-max carbs to get rebuilt
I got the bike with 145,000 miles on it
it had a hindle and filters with a hindle pipe

the Hindle got distroyed, and the bike has never started easily since I got it. once running for the day it seemed better, but still hard starting
I picked up a stock pipe and Want to send the carbs for a complete going thru/rebuilding
I think with the milage on them there are some worn parts causing the hard starting,
anybody have any experience with this guy I found on e-bay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...49&item=360378083776&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
or anybody got someone to recommend?

there are a few guys here on the forum that know what to do. im sure someone will chim in, but giving sean morley a call would be your best bet.

I've never heard of him. Pretty good idea he has as far as getting his biz out there.

There is a series of thread here, complete with pictures and step by step instruction on cleaning and setting up the carbs. Not only will you save some $ but gain a little know how on your ride. Between that sticky and all the people here, I'm sure you can get it done in no time at all :biglaugh:

I agree with KJ, as long as you have some mechanical ability. That first hand knowledge of doing the work yourself is priceless. Especially for an emergency repair that may be needed while you're on the road. Sean, CaptainKyle, dannymax and a few others here have the capability of helping you if your not confident enough to tackle the job...

Good Luck.....

BTW: The early year VMax's are notoriously hard starting. There are many threads about solving this issue. Mostly Electrical...

You said "Hindle with filters" does that mean the bike has a stage 7 set-up now? Going to stock pipes may require some jet changes back to stock.

I go along with the guys above....check out the 6 part carb rebuild series by NaughtyG....it's really great, he did a hell of a job with it.

If you think you want to tackle it we will help you through the rough spots....I'm guessing your carbs are just dirty, need some gaskets & o-rings and you'll be all set.

Are you sure it's the carbs?
What do you call hard starting?

My '85 is a hard starter also, but it's the starter.

145,000 miles.......that's prob the highest milage i've heard of so far on a Max.......there's also a thread on here someplace that's listing all the '85s and the last few digits of thier VIN numbers looking for the lowest number first year going. Sounds like you have a good shot at it.

+1 with the other guys......if you do your own tune-ups, oil changes, etc. and have "some" tools, you can prob pull off cleaning and setting up the carbs yourself using that sticky thread and member's advice. Good luck.

I'd try to save the Hindle if at all possible. Going back to stock will choke things back down a bit. Like mentioned above, go through the carbs with a fine tooth comb, replacing all the gaskets and orings. Make note of what jets are installed, and post the results before assembling. Also make sure to change the fuel filter and check the tank for rust. Sync the carbs after installing, and they should be good to go. Then you can be sure the carbs will not be the cause of your problem.

Maleko89 (Mark Milne) is the resident carb guru here. If you need to send your carbs to someone, he would be the man to do it...or Sean Morley.

Back