Who's still riding? Winter = brrrrr

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
I've been riding the Vmax during the Winter commuting to work and back, running errands, etc. The only thing that has stopped me is the snow/ice/salt.

In Indiana right now it's in the teens in the morning (to work) and about 20s-30s in the evening (to home). I have decent Winter gear but nothing's heated. Usually only my hands will start to freeze after a while or the visor fogs. I really enjoy the ride, but people at work think I'm nuts.

Any other bike yetis out there...who's still riding? Sorry...guys in Cali, Hawaii, deserts, other hot places don't count. :)

I'm in Dallas, and not riding as much this winter as I have in previous years. I had to dispose of my warmest jackets (as they got too damn big), and I have yet to purchase one warm enough to keep me in the saddle with the temp in the 30's, or so. It's supposed to be sunny and temp in the upper 50's today here, so I'll go exercise a VMax. :)

I've been riding the Vmax during the Winter commuting to work and back, running errands, etc. The only thing that has stopped me is the snow/ice/salt.

In Indiana right now it's in the teens in the morning (to work) and about 20s-30s in the evening (to home). I have decent Winter gear but nothing's heated. Usually only my hands will start to freeze after a while or the visor fogs. I really enjoy the ride, but people at work think I'm nuts.

Any other bike yetis out there...who's still riding? Sorry...guys in Cali, Hawaii, deserts, other hot places don't count. :)

winter riding gloves, hand guards and heated grips get me good until about 25-30 degrees then it just gets too cold.

i don't like to ride really in december/january (altho i pride myself on commuting to work ONE day in december the past few years) not due to the cold necessarily but the salt and crap on the roads.

Snows back on the ground here in mid-Michigan, but was able to take a quick 20 mile ride on New Years Day. During the winter, try once a month to start the V-Max up and let her warm up to normal operation temps or go for a quick ride, road conditions permitting of course :clapping:

Funny you ask, I couldnt take it anymore,38 and sunny..............so I took my sons 09 ninga back to work at lunch. 120 mph like nothing and smoooooooooth as ice.thats my fix for a while,snows on its way.

That's great that u can enjoy a ride in those temp's.A thin blooded SoCal kid like me wouldn't last one winter in Indiana.:rockon00:

I cold weather ride in the fall (teens) and spring (-17f was the coldest).
My riding jacket works wonderfully, but to keep my hands warm I wear my snowmachine gloves.

Cold isn't an issue since I'm used to snowmobiling. It's the salt! The amount of salt/sand they put on the roads in Ontario is scary. Personally, I care too much about my bike to subject it to rusting agents and abrasives when I don't have to. I still see some riders tearing down the road and there's a white cloud from the rear wheel where it's kicking up salt/sand dust. It must get into every moving part!

Blaine

Cold isn't an issue since I'm used to snowmobiling. It's the salt! The amount of salt/sand they put on the roads in Ontario is scary. Personally, I care too much about my bike to subject it to rusting agents and abrasives when I don't have to. I still see some riders tearing down the road and there's a white cloud from the rear wheel where it's kicking up salt/sand dust. It must get into every moving part!

Blaine
Wow that's my story also, well told. Early April after a couple good rains to wash off the roads, I ride. Not concerned with the cold either, it's the damn pot hole at that point that concern me :damn angry:

every day no problem with cold.... my max has THATS WHY I NEED AN ODYSSEY BATTERY.... and these fcr NO CHOKE. rain is a bit of a problem but if i have to go somewhere i will go

Blaine
+1, No riding on salt/ sand, causes too much damage and corners (where they put down more of the stuff!!) are no fun until the spring rains wash it off. Our roads stay snow covered (for the most part) all winter long, so no riding on warm and sunny 20 degree days.:damn angry:

+1, No riding on salt/ sand, causes too much damage and corners (where they put down more of the stuff) are no fun until the spring rains wash it off. Our roads stay snow covered for the most part all winter long so no riding on warm and sunny 20 degree days.:damn angry:

Snow, salt, sand.... Pure Michigan!

Went to a new years party at a friends house where he had a busa sitting in the garage, it was unseasonaly in the low 50s so I took it for a short ride, too wet to have any real fun but it felt good to sneak a ride in.............................:biglaugh:

Went to a new years party at a friends house where he had a busa sitting in the garage, it was unseasonaly in the low 50s so I took it for a short ride, too wet to have any real fun but it felt good to sneak a ride in.............................:biglaugh:
Nice Tom! A Busa, could you imagine me on one of those:rofl_200:That was cool he let you ride it.

Still riding in sedona az Temp the other day up here in the mountains was down to 10 degrees.It was damn cold for here. Temps have moderated so not as cold anymore30 to 40 degrees or so during the day. I used to ride in Chicago where I used to live and always rode in the toys for tots bike run. Dress right and it's not to bad except the face shield fogs when you have to stop. :nyah nyah:

every day no problem with cold.... my max has THATS WHY I NEED AN ODYSSEY BATTERY.... and these fcr NO CHOKE. rain is a bit of a problem but if i have to go somewhere i will go

I was in Greece in November and I really appreciated that just about everyone seemed to have a bike or scooter and road them everywhere - rain or shine. 2 wheels seemed to be a must have in Athens - no place to park.

I hear all you guys on the salt. I generally don't ride when I see salt either. If I do, I always rinse/quick detail the bike off when I get home. We've had a couple of good rains after snows that washed the salt away for now so the roads are clear for me. As long as the snow holds off for awhile I'm good. :punk:

I'm jealous of the guys in warmer climates. It must be nice.

My hat is off to you cold weather warriors. :snow:

I'm feeling pretty guilty right about now. It's been pretty cold the last couple of weeks here in Phoenix - so I haven't been out. 30's at night 50's to about 60 during the day.

I'm another whose blood has thinned. At 35 degrees at 7AM, I choose the cage with heat. I ride for fun. Freeway ain't fun at that temp. Proper gear or not.

I went for a short ride yesterday, like 20 miles. Temp was about 30 degrees. Wore my snowmobile jacket and gloves, as well as the balaclava. Hands didn't take too long to get cold though, even with the better gloves. On the snowmobile the grips and flipper are heated, and behind a windshield.

Actually stopped at the local BMW motorcycle dealer to oggle the new 1000RR while I was out. I tell ya, those Germans know how to run a dealer. You walk in, they have a gas fireplace, big leather couch, counter with candy, snacks, coffee, tea, a big-ass TV, racks for your jacket and helmet, ect. They also have a demo for every model they sell, including the 1000RR. Within 5 minutes of me coming in and looking over the bike, a salesman asked me if I wanted to try the demo outside, couldn't since I'm not 21. Grrr.....

Brochure says 193hp and a wet weight of 450lbs. Man that must be a rocketship. So a Vmax, plus 80hp and minus 150lbs. :surprise:

Back