why and when i bought my max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrubbers4x4

Reaction score
I used to ride crotch rockets for years before I got my max. One year during the Thunder in the valley motorcycle rally in Johnstown, my wife, a buddy of mine, and myself were on our way down to the rally when I saw all these wicked looking bike at Denny's Cycle, a local Yamaha dealer, surrounding a dyno. I motioned for my buddy and my wife to turn around cause I wanted to go check these bikes out. We got to the bike shop and I started talking to some of the v max owners about their machines, the guy i talked to the most was Rick Fambry from Ohio. After seeing the HP coming from some of these bikes on the dyno, I told my wife I would have one by next years rally. Well, after searching the net for months I found a few that the owner "tweaked" but I wasnt interested in one someone else modified so I searched for a few more months. I finally found 2 stck ones at a bike dealer in Big Bend Wisconsin. After several emails with the sales guy and a butt load of pictures of it, I was off to the bank to get a loan. It was interesting with the bank since the bike was in Wisconsin but they gave me the $$ I needed. The next step was to go to Wisconsin to get my new bike. A buddy of mine and I borrowed my father in laws pick up truck and i drove 10 hours straight to Big Bend. Once i got there i took the max for a 1/4 mile test drive and went back to the shop and told them to load it on the truck. Then i drove 10 hours back home. Once i unloaded the bike, my father jumped on it and took it for a rip. When he came by the house, he downshifted and nailed the throttle and smoked the tire off on up the street. My father use to have a Honda V-65 Magna so he can handle a muscle bike. When he got back from his ride he said " I see why these bikes beat the V-65, this thing is BAAAAD!!" I love my max and cant wait to do some power mods to it!!

What do you guys suggest I do for the first power upgrade? I dont have a lot of $$ but i can always save up for awhile to do what needs done. I would love to do an exhaust system but dont have the $$ for one, if any of you have aftermarket slip on's or something your not using anymore, i would be interested in them until i can save up and get a marks exhaust. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Last edited:
i'd go kerker or a marks kit.

you can do some cheap mods for a marks kit then save up for a morley muscle jet kit or a stage 7 (a bit pricier)

although if i could do it ALL over again i would:

1. new seat
2. radial rims/tires
3. braced swingarm
4. frame braces
5. exhaust/jet kit

you can do some cheap mods for a marks kit then save up for a morley muscle jet kit or a stage 7 (a bit pricier)

1. new seat
2. radial rims/tires
3. braced swingarm
4. frame braces
5. exhaust/jet kit

the first thing i did when i got my max was order a Corbin seat, which i only put on when my wife would go for a ride with me. the Corbin was to tall for me and made me have to touch with my tippy toes. Patmax is trading me a UFO starfighter seat for my Corbin so i will be able to touch the ground and ride comfortably. i also got a set of Metzlar 880's on it, the rear tire wore out pretty quickly and now i have a Pirelli on the rear. John Furbar did the Furbar fix and lowered the front down an inch for me, i would like to find a cheap set of rear progressive springs to lower the rear down an inch or so.

where would i find a swingarm brace and frame braces?

the first thing i did when i got my max was order a Corbin seat, which i only put on when my wife would go for a ride with me. the Corbin was to tall for me and made me have to touch with my tippy toes. Patmax is trading me a UFO starfighter seat for my Corbin so i will be able to touch the ground and ride comfortably. i also got a set of Metzlar 880's on it, the rear tire wore out pretty quickly and now i have a Pirelli on the rear. John Furbar did the Furbar fix and lowered the front down an inch for me, i would like to find a cheap set of rear progressive springs to lower the rear down an inch or so.

where would i find a swingarm brace and frame braces?

your tires are not radials correct? you need at least a 17" rear rim for it...

morley among others can offer a braced/notched swingarm.

frame braces are avilablie from exactrep or dale walker.

1. new seat
2. radial rims/tires
3. braced swingarm
4. frame braces
5. exhaust/jet kit

I have to agree with Garrett on this. The bike has very good power in stock form but comfort and handling are very much lacking IMO.

So for me, it was to get the suspension/chassis/braking in order (still not completely finished yet) than go more nuts on performance upgrading.

One thing I would like to add to Garrett's list, upgrade front fork springs and add Ricor Intiminators.

Mike

I have to agree with Garrett on this. The bike has very good power in stock form but comfort and handling are very much lacking IMO.

So for me, it was to get the suspension/chassis/braking in order (still not completely finished yet) than go more nuts on performance upgrading.

One thing I would like to add to Garrett's list, upgrade front fork springs and add Ricor Intiminators.

Mike

i forgot about suspension. I think the rear is 'good enough' but the front def needs some progressives as #2 or #3

i looked up the Ricor Intiminators and added to cart but i dont see America or USA for the country choice. is there somewhere else to order them from?

Hi first you need to figure out what mods you want first handling or performance,both not cheap, dont go with a slip on you will lose hp, save up for a kerker or Marks, get a Morley kit,also are you in that 4wd club big rubbers? JIM 3933

I'd agree with that....you'll probably get more enjoyment out of handling/comfort mods than a few extra rwhp.

Go with the ME880s front and rear...that alone will be a huge improvement over stock dunlops.

Progressive fork springs are popular. Still give a smooth comfortable ride on the highway but don't squish down all over the place when you encounter a corner. I run them with zero air pressure....have never, ever bottomed it out, even after going up a steep hill rather fast and catching some air off the top.

The stock brakes are total crap. Your bike is new enough that R1 calipers will be a direct bolt on replacement. I'd lose the rubber lines also and get SS, or if possible find the entire system from an R1...then you get a longer, adjustable, and more powerful master cylinder with a cool remote reservoir. Stops on a dime now. Then again, I'm kind of finicky about having good brakes and have upgraded them on every previous bike I've owned.

Frame braces give a custom look and Holeshot has them as a bolt-on kit for $300. None of that rear wheel "walk" I noticed when the Magna got a bit flexy in the corners, and a Max weighs a lot more.

My motor is essentially stock. P/O dyno'd it at 116rwhp with a stage 1 kit(which I've since tuned in a bit better....was rich in the midrange) and Holeshot slip-ons. A Muscle kit or stage 7 will be useless without a full system.

If you don't have the coin for a full system (often a grand or more), slip-ons can give you a great sound and save probably 30lbs off the weight of the bike. Stock muffler is a total brick. I like the dual Holeshots for the big-block V8 rumble, without being excessively loud(cops don't bother me at checkpoints).

Radial tires can help tremendously in the handling, but unfortunately a replacement (17 or 18") rear rim doesn't come cheap.....easily a grand or more, not including the tire. You can put a radial on the stock front rim, but don't mix and match radial and bias tires. There's a shop out there (Kosman comes to mind) that will convert your stock rear rim into a 17". Cheaper than a new one, but still around $600 IIRC.

Like Garrett said your stock Max motor will toast pretty much anything else out there, excusing 750 and up crotch rockets (and you can still take those stoplight-to-stoplight usually). You have nothing to fear from any HD, and the only cruiser that even comes close is the M109, and then only if it's got the special ignition chip in it.

I'd agree with that....you'll probably get more enjoyment out of handling/comfort mods than a few extra rwhp.

Go with the ME880s front and rear...that alone will be a huge improvement over stock dunlops.

Progressive fork springs are popular. Still give a smooth comfortable ride on the highway but don't squish down all over the place when you encounter a corner. I run them with zero air pressure....have never, ever bottomed it out, even after going up a steep hill rather fast and catching some air off the top.

The stock brakes are total crap. Your bike is new enough that R1 calipers will be a direct bolt on replacement. I'd lose the rubber lines also and get SS, or if possible find the entire system from an R1...then you get a longer, adjustable, and more powerful master cylinder with a cool remote reservoir. Stops on a dime now.

Frame braces can do wonders but require confidence and a welder. Mine bolt at one end to the crash bar mounting plate, and a tab was welded to the frame just under the seat. Mine are painted silver to match the bike. My Magna used to flex a bit in corners and the rear wheel would "walk out" when it did....don't notice any of that on my Max, which weighs far more than that V30 did.

My motor is essentially stock. P/O dyno'd it at 116rwhp with a stage 1 kit(which I've since tuned in a bit better....was rich in the midrange) and Holeshot slip-ons. A Muscle kit or stage 7 will be useless without a full system.

If you don't have the coin for a full system (often a grand or more), slip-ons can give you a great sound and save probably 30lbs off the weight of the bike. Stock muffler is a total brick. I like the dual Holeshots for the big-block V8 rumble, without being excessively loud(cops don't bother me at checkpoints).

Radial tires can help tremendously in the handling, but unfortunately a replacement (17 or 18") rear rim doesn't come cheap.....easily a grand or more, not including the tire. You can put a radial on the stock front rim, but don't mix and match radial and bias tires. There's a shop out there (Kosman comes to mind) that will convert your stock rear rim into a 17". Cheaper than a new one, but still around $600 IIRC.

Like Garrett said your stock Max motor will toast pretty much anything else out there, excusing 750 and up crotch rockets (and you can still take those stoplight-to-stoplight usually). You have nothing to fear from any HD, and the only cruiser that even comes close is the M109, and then only if it's got the special ignition chip in it.

Ryan i'd slightly disagree. I think the stock brakes work great. I had the whole oem setup and never had a problem stopping myself once i went with ebc HH pads. i have an fjr master now but the braking power is the same just a different 'feel'. there are bigger fish to fry than this.

there are also 2 different bolt on frame brace options - exactrep and walker. no welding needed.

Hmmm....didn't know that. Edited.

Still think stock brakes are too weak for the job though and have a mushy "feel", but then again I'm probably spoiled by mine.

Where do they bolt to up by the seat? Holeshot has one tiny picture and you can't really tell how they go on.

Hmmm....didn't know that. Edited.

Still think stock brakes are too weak for the job though and have a mushy "feel", but then again I'm probably spoiled by mine.

Where do they bolt to up by the seat? Holeshot has one tiny picture and you can't really tell how they go on.

can't find my pics but mine clamp in right between the fuel pump tabs.

I'm way late getting into this but if I had to select a first mod to do it would be the front forks. My bike handled so much better after I installed the forks Sean Morley had set up, it was unbelievable... They have Race Tech Springs, Gold Emulators, BG Fluid and are lowered 1" internally.... Day and Night Difference on my 94...

I think that work has been done by the PO to my 89. It already handles fine... Not so sure it's lowered though...

BTW: I really enjoyed your VMax story at the beginning of this thread..:biglaugh:

I'm glad you're a Maxer now. Influence everyone you talk to.. :biglaugh:

Like we don't already do that... The Legend Lives.. In 2 versions....

Back