1996 V Max.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickblue 21

Reaction score
Finally got a V Max after 34 yrs after riding V Twins, Jap 4's and British bikes. Needs a few tweeks soI fit into it. I do my own spannering, fabrication and welding. Looking forward to picking up some knowledge on these awesome machines.
Rick

Attachments

• IMG20240119172121.jpg
    IMG20240119172121.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
You can use this: https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/i...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf

The first 64 pp. are annual updates, as some things changed w/the years. 1985-'89 had analog ignition, '90-'07 were digital, the systems are not interchangeable. You can remove all of the early parts and replace them w/the later parts, including mods to the harnesses, the stator, rotor, and pick-up, and the electronic ignition boxes, but that's $$$ and some parts are only available used now.

1985-'92 used 40 mm front end parts/downtubes, sliders, smaller rotors and different spacing for the calipers' mounting; 1993-'07 were 43 mm front end parts/downtubes, sliders, larger rotors & different spacing for the calipers, going from single-pair opposed piston calipers ('85-'92) to calipers having two-pairs opposed pistons per caliper. You have the newer brakes, front end, and ignition sustem, as it's a 1996.

My opinion is the #1 best mod you can make is to go with 17" or 18" rear wheel & a 17" front wheel to allow you to run radial tires, making the bike handle much-better at speed. The 18" rear wheel will less-affect top end, the 17" rear wheel being shorter in height will mean more acceleration, but less top-end, and given a long-enough run, the OEM wheel/tire will pass you by. However most people are not commonly using 140+ mph runs on their bikes.

An easy way to get cheap HP is to find a Venture w/the 1300cc cases, the first Ventures were 1200cc and will gain no HP. Put your VMax heads on the Venture 1300cc cases and you can make some significant gains for not a lot of $, especially running a full aftermarket exhaust, and getting the jetting right, as long as the exhaust is not the Cobra 4-into-4 system. That one loses you ~10% maybe more. Mid-90's RWHP are reported when using the pretty-but-inefficient (poor scavenging) Cobra 4-into-4 system. An average stock VMax as sold in the USA is about 110 RWHP. and the 1300cc engine, carb tuning and a good full, complete aftermarket exhaust should get you around 130 RWHP. The 145 USA HP was an engine figure, not a rear wheel figure.

Last edited:
Back