Why does my clutch reservoir keep going down?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I fill and bleed the system, and after a couple of thousand miles, the clutch starts dragging a little. I pop off the reservoir lid, and the fluid level is halfway down. I fill it, and after a couple thou more miles, same thing happens. I can't see any leaks or residual fluid anywhere, and since the fluid is a pretty good paint remover, it seems to me there should be some evidence somewhere. WTF? :confused2:

It's prolly your slave cylinder that's leaking and needs a rebuild. It's hidden under a rubber cover on the left side on the motor - just by where the clutch line ends. You can't really see it until you pull the rubber cover over the nipple, so if it leaks you couldn't really notice.
Can be rebuilt quite cheaply I believe - Gary McCoy is your friend.

It's prolly your slave cylinder that's leaking and needs a rebuild. It's hidden under a rubber cover on the left side on the motor - just by where the clutch line ends. You can't really see it until you pull the rubber cover over the nipple, so if it leaks you couldn't really notice.
Can be rebuilt quite cheaply I believe - Gary McCoy is your friend.

+1 I just got the rebuild kit, copper washers and middle gear cover gasket from Gary for $22.94 to my door.

danny

Damn, thats a good deal!! Is it any harder to rebuild the slave than a typical motorcycle, brake master cylinder??

Nah, it's simple Mike...just pop the piston out with a little compressed air, remove the seals, lube up the new ones with brake fluid and put it back together.

I had it done and re-installed in less than a half hour....that was when I noticed the piston spring sitting on the workbench!! :bang head: BALLS!!! I left it out!! :bang head:

So, another half hour taking the friggin' thing back off and apart to install ALL the parts this time!!

"Why is it that there is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

Nah, it's simple Mike...just pop the piston out with a little compressed air, remove the seals, lube up the new ones with brake fluid and put it back together.

I had it done and re-installed in less than a half hour....that was when I noticed the piston spring sitting on the workbench!! :bang head: BALLS!!! I left it out!! :bang head:

So, another half hour taking the friggin' thing back off and apart to install ALL the parts this time!!

"Why is it that there is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

Thanks Dan. I was curious if it was any harder or not than a brake master. Sounds the same to me. Only reason I asked was that I remember someone saying a long time ago in a post to not buy the rebuild kit, but the whole slave. I thought maybe it was a PIA or something?

DONT FORGET to clean up the slave cyl with a ball hone or some 400 wet dry.
Just like replacing the rings in a 2 stroke, you need to hone the cyl for a smooth ring glide. Just the same for the slave cyl, clean it up so the piston will slide good/well. (hows my english?)

Thanks Dan. I was curious if it was any harder or not than a brake master. Sounds the same to me. Only reason I asked was that I remember someone saying a long time ago in a post to not buy the rebuild kit, but the whole slave. I thought maybe it was a PIA or something?

I read that Mike, and actually had the complete slave ordered but when I got it apart the inside looked like new so changed the order to just the rebuild kit. Guess it would depend on the condition of the inside of the cylinder. If you're doing your '06 I can't imagine it will be in very bad shape.

Just like replacing the rings in a 2 stroke, you need to hone the cyl for a smooth ring glide. Just the same for the slave cyl, clean it up so the piston will slide good/well. (hows my english?)

Yup, good point Yoshi!! And your English is.....well......good!! :biglaugh:

i assume Fla meant Florida. perfect to me.

Latest posts

Back