Why Dyno? Why not a Busa?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dyno is a very useful tool to keep track of changes to the bike and to ensure the changes were done correctly. Sometimes simply bolting on a set of slip-ons can make your bike run rich enough to make it wash the cylinders and burn up an engine.

Sean

Ring a ding ding!

Um, I bought the right bike.

If you read my posts I was not being critical at all. I was asking questions that seem logical, since it got your shorts in a knot, I suspect others feel like you.

Sorry, maybe re-reading my posts with my non aggression stance being noted will loosen that knot :)

Oh, I still don't "get it" so I doubt anyone will change that.

Shorts in a not lol..not hardly. I thought maybe you were the 190 guy that got banned under a differnt IP address. I thought your post was a little on the dumb(I am trying to be polite) side or maybe ignorant of most of the people on this site. Anyhow I never get my shorts in a not. People get it from a whole different angle lol. So try not to be so insulting(stuff like saying my shorts were in a not) in your non-aggresive replies and then maybe I will by it.
:rocket bike:

IMO, there were quite a few good explanations of why we like to modify our motorcycles. That you still don't get it , you'll have to figure that out yourself I guess, to each there own. Questioning of why someone would change a stock anything, rebuking their reasons for modding it, and then still challenging us to change your mind is critical. IMO "stock is not superior", if you don't want to take the risk of modding, then you shouldn't. Just don't tell me that my bike would be better as stock. That your opinion, not mine!
You want us to change your mind,... I think you'll have to do that yourself, or just enjoy your "stock" Vmax as is. Your examples of blender being a thing we accept as a stock product, but that is just a blender...not a lot of passion there to change it from stock, but I have seen a gas powered blender that was pretty cool.
Most motorcyclist I know are independent types and then there are the sheep types. Vmax riders tend to be the epitome of the independent type.
Ride what you like and like what you ride.......but just ride! But before I go ride, I'm going to put on a oil pressure gauge that the designers forgot to do! I'll post pictures. :biglaugh:

The Vmax is a hot rod type of motorcycle and with it's 80's tech it lends itself to people who like to work on motorcycles. We also like to ride, enjoy the fruits of our labor and this forum is basiclly revoles around those two principles.
If you enjoy riding a stock Vmax, but do not care to mod them, that's ok too. To each their own. You can find plenty of info on rides, people in your area to ride with and get plenty of enjoyment that way. But I think you'll find that most of us enjoy working on motorcycles, making changes to suit their needs, and helping each other out in that pursuit.
The Vmax is not a blender, nor a toaster, it is a passion for a particular model of motorcyle that feeds the inner hot rodder in us. It drives us to stay up until 2 am fixing that starter clutch that has gone out on you a couple times before. It compells you to invite any and all to come to your home to enjoy the brotherhood of the Vmax.
I think if most of us just had the "need for speed" we know there are faster bike out there, but that's not the point. I have no need for a plastic coated cookie cutter motorcycle to go fast. I don't think they have as much personality as a Vmax. Sure they are nice motorcycles but the Vmax gives me that visceral feeling I'm looking for.

I was going to say something but... It won't be better than this. WELL SAID!

Why Dyno?Why not a Busa!!!!!! That type of thinking is the reason we got a 700lb bike with 18 " rims!New bike same hand of cards if you ask me.Yes we are all different ,some stay stock some modied and its obvious yammy went with the stocker group more than the gear heads.I really do like the new Max but man there are a few things that could of been different that would have made that comment never been made. JOHN

There seem to be a LOT of people interested in running their bikes on a dyno, why?

I mean regardless what the maker did, the power is the power. Even after heavily modding the machine, the power is still the power, no?

I've met bikers that could beat hotrod 4's with a VT, and it's the skill of the rider as much as the horsepower of the machine. For certain I don't think an 09 max is doing a sub 10 quarter mile with ME aboard.

So, WHY does anyone care if they aren't top riders racing?

Oh, next question... given that the Max is capable of doing x mph in x seconds, what's the point of spending heavily on the bike to get minimal performance gains that you can only measure with an electronic timer?

Anyway...

I'm a stock bike kinda guy, I mean if I WANT Busa performance, I'd buy one and save cash, and ride a slightly ugly non spectacular "Me too" design of a bike like a Busa.

Sorry no intent to flame Busa owners but put one in profile 25 yards away next to a host of other machines and they all look like they have an upside down pregnant fish over the engine :)

Here's a slogan, "If you WANT a Busa, then BUY a Busa" ?? Catchy no?

For some people it's just about affirmation. They simply want to know the number, whatever it is. They are just as curious about what the numbers are, as you are about why they are curious. And being as it is their bike I'd say they have a right to know. For other people the dyno is a wonderful tuning tool, the best tuning tool actually. You can monitor your HP, torque, BSFC, and other items as you go through the rpm range loaded. Basically, allowing you to have bike that runs perfect instead of just good. Personally, I have three reasons to upgrade my bike.
1. I am a speed junkie.
2. I am a tinkerer.
3. I don't want a Hayabusa, I want a Vmax that's as fast as a Hayabusa.:punk:

Why Dyno? Why not a Busa? Hum... Well I guess that when you take a bike that has been around for what 22yrs (Not including the Vmax next Gen) and smoke a Busa that is a thrid of the age of Mr. Max (The Busa came out in 1999). That has something to say about the engineering of the Yamaha crew back in the day. :worthy: Yamaha Vmax Crew!!!

For some people it's just about affirmation. They simply want to know the number, whatever it is. They are just as curious about what the numbers are, as you are about why they are curious. And being as it is their bike I'd say they have a right to know. For other people the dyno is a wonderful tuning tool, the best tuning tool actually. You can monitor your HP, torque, BSFC, and other items as you go through the rpm range loaded. Basically, allowing you to have bike that runs perfect instead of just good. Personally, I have three reasons to upgrade my bike.
1. I am a speed junkie.
2. I am a tinkerer.
3. I don't want a Hayabusa, I want a Vmax that's as fast as a Hayabusa.:punk:

Well said! The VMAX (gen 1) is a magnificent machine. It was modeled using the American muscle car as inspiration. It's our duty as owners to take it mechanically to the level of it's competitors.

The Hayabusa...
roach.jpg
only thing missing are the feelers.

A dyno is a tool used in that goal.

It's all an individual matter. My friend's say my Max is "tricked out". I say it mildly modded compared to alot of Max owners. In any event I know this: Stock Max is a great bike. My modded Max is a "fantastic bike". A little faster and handles much better.:punk::clapping:

Dale #2592

Latest posts

Back