Will not start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrinsgt

Reaction score
I am getting spark to the plugs and according to the fuel pressure gauge, have fuel. I thought I had a bad battery, so I replaced it with a larger 18AL, last night. It was dead this morning, so I narrowed down that the headlights were draining it, or at least one of the things - so I put a switch in to manually turn on/off headlights. The drain was 1.xxx amps, but now it's 0. I have added a ground to the second bolt of the rectifier, but only mention it as something that is new to the setup. The bike did start before, as I was installing an EFI, but then began to develop the poor charge issue. With the spark and fuel being, seemingly, good I am at a loss. I have had the battery hooked up to a charger with it in the start mode as well, with no luck.....thoughts?? I am assuming that I did something, but any and all advice with further troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.

The EFI system is too much for your stock VMax R/R to keep the battery properly charged. As the voltage drops, the EFI will start running like shit. You should run either a Venture ( I think it was a Venture) R/R or one off an R1 or R6.

mine recently wouldnt fire due to wet connection at the old vboast harness that now supplies the efi with signals for pre run fuel. it would start and run with a "squirt" but not on its own . dried and cleaned those three wires and it solved the problem.maybe not..... im just sayin.

I put a Venture R/R on Toxic once I went to the EFI. Had to replace my old battery as well with a new Odyssey PC680. Did the crimp fix over the winter and will be seeing how all my electrical upgrades work in a few days! Start looking for connector issues as well as looking at your R/R.

Thank you, I will look closer at the connections and look into another R/R.

Looked at the connections, they all seem to be good. I put starting fluid and tried gas down the intakes, it fired up for as long as it took to burn both up. I'm getting 200rpm's according to the software, from ECU, but I'm guessing that I'm still not getting gas into the intakes, due to previous test. I checked the line from the ECU to the injectors and it was showing a signal. Battery is at 12.5, roughly.

If it is only showing 200 rpms when you actually get it to fire with fuel down the throttle bodies you have a problem with the connection from the CDI box through the Vboost controller wiring to the ECU. If it doesn't get an accurate rpm reading then it will not fire the injectors properly. Low voltage, which 12.5 is low, can also cause it problems for sure. Toxic gets 13.8-14v at idle now with the Odyssey PC680 batter, Venture r/r, and the crimp fix. Fires right up first time and runs great!

Back