Wiring Harness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Does anybody know if you can purchase new (OEM) or aftermarket (new) wiring harnesses for and '88 max :ummm:

I've been knocking the idea of making new harnesses after seeing a show on TV that highlighted making automotive wiring harnesses. You sort take an old harness completely unwrapped and lay it out on a big board like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. You nail or screw everywhere there is a terminus or end of a run say right handlebar. Finding all the right connectors could be challenging but let's face it, this harness could use some much better grade wiring. People have already done the "heavy wire" starter and battery kits which are easy and cheap when by bulk wire and fittings. I even thought of creating simplified harnesses with no kick stand relays, and miscellaneous runs that have nothing to do with running the bike such as a "offroad" harness. No lights, turn signals etc. One could even make harnesses that are broken into sections but more connectors could mean more problems. I would trust Sniperpredator to figure something like this out as he is a whiz at such projects. I have plenty of harnesses to practice with. I ordered a few electrical connector catalogs. I think it could be done by one of you talented guys. Maybe a Glen Spilker Design? $400 bucks is a fortune Gleno!

I've been knocking the idea of making new harnesses after seeing a show on TV that highlighted making automotive wiring harnesses. You sort take an old harness completely unwrapped and lay it out on a big board like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. You nail or screw everywhere there is a terminus or end of a run say right handlebar. Finding all the right connectors could be challenging but let's face it, this harness could use some much better grade wiring. People have already done the "heavy wire" starter and battery kits which are easy and cheap when by bulk wire and fittings. I even thought of creating simplified harnesses with no kick stand relays, and miscellaneous runs that have nothing to do with running the bike such as a "offroad" harness. No lights, turn signals etc. One could even make harnesses that are broken into sections but more connectors could mean more problems. I would trust Sniperpredator to figure something like this out as he is a whiz at such projects. I have plenty of harnesses to practice with. I ordered a few electrical connector catalogs. I think it could be done by one of you talented guys. Maybe a Glen Spilker Design? $400 bucks is a fortune Gleno!

I think you would sell them if you made them Pat. I'd be interested for 1.
Steve

I should have some good used harnesses around but are you sure you need one? 85-89 will interchanged. You can update to the newer harness but you'd need to swap around quite a few other parts.

Gannon could easily make a new harness and has some of the hard to find connectors though a few would likely need to be reused (the plastic anyway). We could even do it here if needed but it would not be cheap.

Sean

Maybe a Glen Spilker Design? $400 bucks is a fortune Gleno![/QUOTE said:
I am guessing I wouldn't touch one for less than $350 ish. To do it correctly you need to find all the proper color coded wire, otherwise trouble shooting would be a nightmare. Unless you want to re write a wire diagram to fit what you have. Also the wires that are readily available are not what you want to use for a wire harness. You would need to special order this wire to even come close to a useable wire. I look at it that the $400 bones than Glen is asking is not all that bad! It is no easy task to build a harness correctly, at $400 and say you built about 10 of them you would still be at a loss. the wire is in 5,000 foot rolls and how many colors do you need for a harness? The connectors are 1,000 pcs per connector as a minimum order quanity. Do you see the picture? :confused2:it is very very costly to build these if you want to use a product that will stand the test of time and give your customers a good product. You have to pay the piper :punk:

Thanks Gannon

I might be able to build them cheeper , but it is one of those things you just don't know until you get into it. How much would you be willing to spend for an aftermarket wire harness?

Thanks G

Back