Would you say..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the vgas system and I am sure it used different boots, but at least on my bike, the carb boots are made to only fit on one way. There is a carb side of the boot and a manifold side of the boot. One side has a SLIGHTLY smaller ridge inside that is spaced different, and will do the exact same thing if the boots are not put on correctly. I haven't messed with a stock carbed bikes boots, but I would make sure the boots are on squarely and with the correct end toward the carb.

I'm gonna take 'em off and find out what's going on. I'm 100% sure on my '86 they used to just pop into place perfectly, so this ain't right. I'll let ya know how I go..

Agree with assembling side brackets on a level surface. I typically put two pieces of wood on the bench parallel to each other and assemble the carbs on the blocks.

I hear alot of talk about guys prying carbs out and pounding them in the boots. I've never had to resort to that. Not sure if its because my boots are fairly fresh or???

When I push them in I go in steps. Once I'm sure the carbs are lined up properly with the boots I push down on the two on right side enough to get them started into the boots about halfway. Then I do the left side the same. Then I go back to the right side, put my palms down on the carb throats and push down with a lot of force. You can almost hear them pop. I do the same with the left side. Then I typically push down on the rear two as a pair then the front two. Then a visual check to see that the carb body is flush with the top of the boot. There is an ear on the casting of the carbs that sits right on top of the boot when the carbs are in the whole way. I've never used any lube. On the carbs anyways.

Yea I'm hoping they maybe aren't quite level. I've always used a bar of wooden block to pop 'em up as it's easiest that way, but to put them back down an easy push in is all it's ever taken. I usually sit them on first, check everything's in place and nothing's caught, then just push down and in they pop.

Also I hope my boots are ok, 'cos now it feels like something folded or not right anyway in there..

Just a thought G, if the top part of a boot or two is messed up maybe you could turn them upside down (might be in better shape on the bottom) just to get you 'in the wind' till new parts arrive....if that's what's called for.

I like using a little leverage for removal/remount (3/4" broom handle works great)....it takes the pressure off my ruined shoulders....but it should require very little effort to accomplish the operation. I also use o-ring lube cause I take racks off and on all the time, it helps with the 'pop' factor.

Right so I took the carbs off, loosened the main rack clamp screws, made sure the bodies were level on two wood planks and re-tightened with loctite. Then refitted making sure they were all the way in the boots and they now are. Good.

BUT. I found where my air leak causing all the popping on the right side mostly is. See the attached pics, the vboost boot of cyl #3 is gone, and the one of cyl #2 has been fixed with silicone before.. :bang head:

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 20
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 21
Well at least you found it. Something like that is evident once the chrome/plastic vanity cover is off and especially w/working on the area when the carbs are removed.

I have a set of Stage 7-kitted complete carbs that are currently being gone-through at the shop I frequent because he is much better at it than I am, and at least for this time, things will be done right and re-assembled correctly. I've worked on my carbs on pretty-much all my bikes at one point or another, but I just didn't want to mess with 'em, so the bike went to the shop. I stopped-by yesterday to see 'em, the solvent tank is working, and soon I'll see the results of the work, and get my bike back. I think I will post a new topic about this.

"Naughty G," glad you found your problem.

Latest posts

Back