Wrecked!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC Max

Reaction score
Damn living in an area that uses sand to treat snow covered roads!:bang head: I hit a patch of sand turning for home and the back wheel came out from under the bike like I was on ice. I'm a little chewed up and will need a new jacket, but the bike came out pretty good considering. It fell on its left side and the center stand helped to protect a lot of the bike. I am in need of the following parts though if anyone has extras laying around:

Left foot peg, front turn signal mount housing (cracked in half), left side scoop in aluminum, recommendations on aftermarket mirrors.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Sorry to hear about it...but glad you are here to tell us what you need.

I have stock turn signals and stock mirrors that I would be willing to send you. Shoot me a PM with your address and I can get them out to you. You may also want to check you frame before ordering a foot peg. Those foot rest brackets are cast, and do not bend, so if it is out of wack, you may want to check your frame or the welded brackets on the frame. I think Sean said he has shimmed them before to bring them back to level. Just thought I would point that out.

I hope you get back on two wheels soon... I sure have been taking it easier ever since my little mishap as well.

Let me know,

Jeff

Glad you're alright!

This might sound stupid but I have kicked the road and brought the bike back up,several times.It's a little trick from riding in the dirt.

What's involved when you "kick the road"? Are you talking about a few quick stabs with your heels to try and pop your bike back up again? I'd be interested in any details you can provide. I wouldn't want to do something stupid and end up with a scratched bike AND a broken leg..:bang head:

Cheers

Glad you're alright!

This might sound stupid but I have kicked the road and brought the bike back up,several times.It's a little trick from riding in the dirt.

Thanks for the setiments. I've done the leg kick myself so I don't think it's dumb at all, this just happened too quickly for me to react. One moment I'm riding and the next I'm under my bike wondering what the hell just happened.

I appreciate the offer on the mirrors and turn signals. Amazingly only the lens to my signal was damaged (and a replacement already ordered), but the force caused the signal housing to fail, which is going to be a pain to find a replacement. I was planning to get better looking mirrors anyway, so this just helps to motivate me.

I inspected the foot peg and mount. The peg itself failed and broke absorbing the majority of the force, but thankfully the mount and frame are intact and straight.

Finding a replacement for the signal housing is my major project. The scoop is only lightly scuffed so is useable until a replacement can be found.

What's involved when you "kick the road"? Are you talking about a few quick stabs with your heels to try and pop your bike back up again? I'd be interested in any details you can provide. I wouldn't want to do something stupid and end up with a scratched bike AND a broken leg..:bang head:

Cheers

What I mean is when the rear tire has started to already go out from under you(broadside)and the bike is coming down hard to the side,You take your leg and stomp straight down onto the road (quickly!)as hard as you can.The bike will then stand back up and the rear tire will come back in under the bike.
Like I said this has saved me several times,even riding 2up.

just get a new headlight crown - I think they are well under $100 for a brand new one. Yours can be welded up the polished, painted or chromed.

I've got a broken one that is already welded back up and will probably go for chroming. I will be using it as a core for others with broken parts since it cannot be used for my regular chrome exchange stuff.

Sean Morley

Glad to hear you are all right, leather and Max parts can be replaced!
I'm not sure what you want to do for mirrors but here are a couple links to some nice billet mirrors:
http://www.motoleather.com/momi.html
http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/metricbikes/metriccruiser/parts/mirrors/MetricMirror2.htm

Alternative: from "Tucker Rocky catalog"
http://www.baycycle.com/catalog_keyword_search.asp?keysearch=Go&keyword=black+mirrors

I had the signal mount housing off twice this weekend to check fitment of new turn signals and windshield in preparation for paint. It takes 3 hands to get the signals and windshield together but it's not bad at all. From what Sean is saying you can have it welded back up or he may have one for ya. Ebay has some on there as well but I would see what Sean has first.

Thank God you're allright. A bike can always be fixed.

Great to see folks already throwing parts and advice your way. I think everyone here deserves a good 'at a boy' at the very least.

Well done, folks. VERY well done. It gives me faith. :biglaugh:

Regards,
Tom

Glad you're alright!

OK correct me if I am wrong, but performing this "kicked the road"
You are comparing a dirt bike that weighs what 240lbs compared to the 600+lb motorcycle? :hmmm:
I think your leg would get broken or even worse the bike fall over on your leg as it drags you down the road taking the skin on your leg down to the bone.:stickyman:
I think you handled it correctly, get the bike away from you. Glad your OK :stretche:
I do have the front turn signal mount that you are needing. Its polished out shoot me an email if your interested I can get it out tomorrow for you Bud.

Glad you're alright!

I've done the leg kick a couple of times when sliding on loose gravel with my XS. Its a great trick, it need to be tought.

I've learned it from my dad, they tought it in motorcycle officer training back in the 60's.

OK correct me if I am wrong, but performing this "kicked the road"
You are comparing a dirt bike that weighs what 240lbs compared to the 600+lb motorcycle? :hmmm:
I think your leg would get broken or even worse the bike fall over on your leg as it drags you down the road taking the skin on your leg down to the bone.:stickyman:
I think you handled it correctly, get the bike away from you. Glad your OK :stretche:
I do have the front turn signal mount that you are needing. Its polished out shoot me an email if your interested I can get it out tomorrow for you Bud.

It does work but probably should not be tried if you don't know what you are doing LY.

I HAVE A SET OF STOCK 2006 HANDLE BARS I'LL GIVE YOU , ALSO I HAVE A SET OF UFO DRAG BARS !

HEY KJ , BACK IN THE DAY WHEN I HAD MY XS1100, I WAS ALWAYS TO HAMMERED TO TRY ANTHING OTHER THEN KEEPING MY BALLANCE ! :rofl_200: " AAAHHHHHH " THE GOOD OLD DAY'S, MAN I MISS THEM ! :cheers: NO BILL'S - NO RESPONSIBILITIES - AND A 24/7 HARD-ON ! :wkwk: " AAAHHHHHH " THE GOOD OLD DAY'S !

I can't say enough how much I appreciate all of the good wishes and offers to help. It just goes to reaffirm what a great community there is going here.:cheers:

Thank you also to those who have offered parts. I still don't think the damage is any worse than my initial assesment taken just after the wreck (before the pain meds). I am going to start pulling it apart tonight to see if there is anything under the surface that wasn't readily apparent. I don't want to accept parts I don't need when someone else may find themselves in the same fix and could really use them. I have a slew of parts already on the way so I may be up and running as early as this weekend:punk:, although I don't think my body will be quite up for it. Everything is a whole lot more sore today than it was yesturday!:stickyman:

I'll update as things come back together.

Thanks again guys!

Glad you are alright, they do use alot of sand around here in the winter, and since we had such a long snowy winter, the roads (especaily the corners) are coated with the stuff...Sorry I don't have any of the parts you need, if you are ever in the KC/liberty are let me know...

Glad you're alright!

kicking the road has saved my paint and my skin many times over the years , but i dident know it was a secret . i though every one did it instinctively :confused2:

Maybe stomped the road describes it better?

I always thought it was a fairly instinctive reaction and pretty hard NOT to do for anyone with a fair amount of dirtbike experience. Not saying it's right or wrong, Don't really have an opinion on that.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back