WTF have I gotten myself into???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Shrek

Reaction score
Actualy, i'm pretty sure I know what sorta headache I'm in for...

gedc0005.jpg

gedc0010.jpg

gedc0009.jpg

gedc0004.jpg

I just purchased a 5-basket case ;)

The price was right...$1.00, the guy just wanted it out of his garage.

One Engine is in a crate...probably needs a rebuild at the minimum...the original engine in parts in several boxes next to it.

I've rebuilt several 2-cyl engines before, this is going to be a whole new level of pain... :bang head:

But hey, if I can bring it back from the Dead...I'll have a NICE ride to enjoy!!

The last motorcycle engine I rebuilt was a Yamaha Vision 550 2-cyl V-twin, water cooled....about 15 years ago...I'm hoping the lessons I learned from it will help me on this big mofo...

Or should I just haul it in to the local shop and let them rebuild the used crate motor??

What I really can't believe is how far the guy had gone to dissasemble the bike...he took the gauges & cables & Front Brake Cylinder off...argh. Not sure why.

Looks like I've got one heck of a Summer Job to complete ;)

GOOD LUCK! Hope you get it running. This is the place to be to get you through something like this. Lots of good people here that are willing to help. Thank god for me!LOL.

Congrats on the purchase too..$1. Cant beat that.

Good deal... You know if you part it out on ebay you'll end up with a good chunk of cash in your hands to put toward a complete one. But that wouldn't be a challenge would it? I'm sure Sean can build you a nice motor for it. (beat him... ha :biglaugh:)

Lots of people to here to help with your rebuild. Good Luck... it's not that hard.

a DOLLAR? no way, im jealous. Looks like he was getting ready to part it out. Id probably part it out and spend the money on a used max. You can find a good one for 3k or so

Yep, just finished up a new bullet today. It's going to stripper then paint and hopefully in a chassis by the weekend. Will break it in and ride it in Eureka Springs this next weekend then dyno it in Topeka. After that it will be available for sale. 1300 conversion with some new experimental ported heads. Of course some other small stuff too like DD clutch, HD oiling system etc...

Sean

Actualy, i'm pretty sure I know what sorta headache I'm in for...

gedc0005.jpg

gedc0010.jpg

gedc0009.jpg

gedc0004.jpg

I just purchased a 5-basket case ;)

One Engine is in a crate...probably needs a rebuild at the minimum...the original engine in parts in several boxes next to it.

I've rebuilt several 2-cyl engines before, this is going to be a whole new level of pain... :bang head:

But hey, if I can bring it back from the Dead...I'll have a NICE ride to enjoy!!

The last motorcycle engine I rebuilt was a Yamaha Vision 550 2-cyl V-twin, water cooled....about 15 years ago...I'm hoping the lessons I learned from it will help me on this big mofo...

Or should I just haul it in to the local shop and let them rebuild the used crate motor??

What I really can't believe is how far the guy had gone to dissasemble the bike...he took the gauges & cables & Front Brake Cylinder off...argh. Not sure why.

Looks like I've got one heck of a Summer Job to complete ;)

I'll give you $5. for it...lol

take it down and powdercoat it all.
make it look better than new
michael

Nothing better than having a blank canvas to start a painting......your options are WIDE open!! Can't beat the price either.

I can hear Sean crying right now! LOL! :biglaugh:

Yea, it was a hell of a deal!! Leaves him plenty of room left to buy the big engine and still have a good deal.

Sean

Thanks All!! :)

It's been about 12-15 years since I completely pulled an engine apart...feeling rusty, but then, so is the bike!!

I can think of no better way to learn a motorcycle more completely than a tear-down & rebuild when it was taken apart by someone else...Just making sure all the important parts are there should be more than interesting... :bang head:

But with one engine whole...the other in parts...it'll definitely be a learning situation. I figure on doing the inventory first, reboxing things as to what they are, then with a list of Exactly what I have on hand & in which box, start the Crate Engine Rebuild. After that, put it all togther and crank it up!

I'm also a little rusty at riding on a power bike...the last one was an FJ1200 back around 2003...test-drove it for a friend to check it out Mechanically before he bought it...it was FUN! But not enough to pull me in...but the V-Max is!! LOL

This is definitely a departure from the Tourer's I've been playing with...it's been a LONG time since I owned a SCREAMER other than my wife ;)

To bad you don't know someone with one... It makes it A LOT easier to have one sitting there letting you look up its skirt and twist its knobs...

Chris

Take a good look at the engine that was taken apart. If it spun a bearing it is likely not worth rebuilding. The cases end up getting damaged most of the time and the cranks are outrageously expensive. When you start looking at all that stuff it makes the conversion engines a whole lot better deal.

Sean

I ended up in the same situation 6 months ago. I bought the bike whole, and found it had a bad wrist pin bearing. Thinking I was doing myself a favor and saving a headache, I took it to a local shop. He tore the thing apart and then said he was gonna have to sleeve the thing, and do a whole rebuild to the tune of 3500 bucks or else he wouldnt touch it. So needless to say, I told him to box it up. I got it back to my shop and a week or two later with a ton of parts and wisdom from Sean, I had her breathing again. Basket cases can be fun, or can be a nihtmare, its up to you. Do your homework and GET A MANUAL. Youll have her scooterin in no time. Good Luck

Back