WW II Graphics and Pin Up Art on my VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I bought a Bell Strafer Helmet at the local Yamaha Dealer a while back. It's a cheap helmet but it looked really cool and I couldn't pass it up for $89.95. Graphics reminisent of the planes of World War II.

I started thinking on how I could get the graphics from the helmet to the motorcycle. One day while I was at the shop, I asked my Buddy, Traci who works in the parts department if he had any thoughts. He told me there's a graphics department of the dealership right across the street.

My wife and I found the little shop and Bryan List. This guy paints some of the most radical helmets available. He used to do art and initial paint work for Fox and other big name manufacturers. His thoughts were that paint would be way too expensive for what I wanted to do. We're talking $2000.00 plus. He suggested using 3 M Vinyl, this is something he does daily on a lot of big trailers, 4 wheelers or even as simple as bumper stickers. He looked at the art work we'd have to do and gave me an estimate, way below 2 Grand.

As is always the case, we got a bit behind on the schedule of getting the work done. I went in and spent a couple days assisting the with the art.

It's been killing me since last week that I couldn't take some good pictures and post them here. Today I took the bike and a camera to our local Coast Guard Station / Marina and took some pictures representative of Bryans work... He's Great...

I know there was something about this here a few weeks ago, it's called 3-M Vinyl Wrap and it's unbelievable stuff.

Attachments

• Strafer 1.jpg
    Strafer 1.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Strafer 2.jpg
    Strafer 2.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Strafer 3.jpg
    Strafer 3.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Strafer 4.jpg
    Strafer 4.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Strafer 5.jpg
    Strafer 5.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 149
Looks great!

I have always liked the faux WWII paint jobs on bikes

As long as you are headed for the fighter plane theme, how about a set of tailgunner exhausts?

Wow, Tailgunner Exhaust Systems are Awesome. However, if I do exhaust, I believe it'll have to be Marks. Hearing them 1 time hooked me for life......

Thanx to all for all the compliments on my Vinyl Wrap. If it didn't cost a fortune for equipment and supplies. I might just have to go into bussiness. The possibilities are endless. You can put a picture of absolutely anything on this stuff. It's laminated and 3-M gurantees it will hold up for 5 years.

BTW: I found that you can get the front fender off without pulling the wheel, even with the newer, bigger tubes. 1/8" drive, 10mm Flex Socket , extension and a little patience and care coming off and going back on. Piece of Cake...:biglaugh:

Pull the fork brace bolts, tilt the fender and shine a light on the subject. The Flex Socket is easy to guide in to remove the fender bolts. Wasn't difficult to align when going back on. Just have to plan your moves and be sure the bolts don't start cross threading.

Back