Yamaha Letter of Certification for Importation to Canada

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyglass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Canadians out there, has anyone asked Yamaha US for a Letter of Certification for importation?

For the other folks out there, the process to import a vehicle into Canada is bound by the process detailed at RIV.ca.

They require either the DOT Statement of Compliance (SOC) label on frame or a Letter of Certification from the manufacturer.

The bike I'm looking at is missing the SOC.

I have found a few links for import to the EU, but nothing for Canada.

I'll start emailing and calling Yamaha various offices, but I'm hoping someone here has gone through it recently.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Many years ago a friend did that for his 85. I think the 90's was cleared to do that without any issues but not sure what the specifics are to do it.

It may have been a surprisingly easily process.

Today I called Yamaha Motorsports Customer Relations - (800) 962-7926. I waited on hold for approx 11 mins. I talked to a nice lady name Nikita.

I explained to her what I was looking for and she asked me if this was a US model bike for export.

She took my name, address, the VIN and email address. She said I would receive and email in 72 hours, after which I had 24 hours to download the letter they will send the link to.

I'll report back with progress.

I just got back from some travel and realized I have not yet received their email.

I called again and talked to Jorge after a 2-minute wait on hold.

He had my name on the screen in front of him and knew what the call was about.

He put me on hold while he tried to find Nikita.

He transferred me to her, and I asked what happened to my letter.

She said that their government relations department just sent her a message today (that's a coincidence) to explain that they can't send the letter as I am trying to import to Canada, and they don't deal with Canadian regulations.

I explained, again, that this is to certify the machine was made to US DOT standards for the road, and the letter is in the absence of the Statement of Compliance (SOC) label on the frame in the US. Canada just accepts the US standards in order to import it here.

She then went on at length about EPA and emissions, so I explained, again, that this is not for emissions but for compliance with US DOT standards for the road.

Then she proclaimed, "Oh, then you need a Letter of Manufacture. You asked for a Letter of Compliance before," which is actually what she told me I was getting, not vice versa.

In the end, she is now writing their government relations department, asking them to expedite, and I should receive an email with a Letter of Manufacture.

MTF.

Back