10% ethanol is CRAP!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a non-ethanol gas station near my house...for now. It's a little more expensive, but the extra cost of the fuel offsets the cost of additives that I would have to buy otherwise. I have a lot of machines with gas engines at home, and I definitely do not have the time or money to fight the ethanol fight on all of them. Seems like carburated motors have more of a hard time with it than injected, though. Maybe this is the government's way of forcing us to phase out our old, inefficient carbs. I will never get rid of my '82 Chevy short bed, nor will I get rid of the 2 Edelbrock 750's that dump gas into the 502ci V8. I know for scientific fact that higher octane does not always equal more hp, but if I have to buy a little higher octane to keep ethanol out of my fleet's tanks then that is what I will do.

Oklahoma stations are pure gas NO ethanol so when I was up there and filled up I did notice a difference but not a notable one. Here in Texas you would be hard pressed to get gas that wasnt part corn and cow manure. I usually keep a few gallons of 96 at my shop and run it once in a while just to keep things smooth. But like everyone else has said if you let the bike sit with low grade corn gas in it you will end up with creamed carbs for sure

Many gas stations here in the Tulsa area have already switched to the 10% and have been that way for many years. Fortunately, there are several refineries very close to us, so it is easier and cheper for the stations to get different types of fuel. Some stations will have both types on different pumps. Especially the Phillips 66 stations and the smaller mom-and-pop type places.

You guys are lucky. In FL all stations have only 10% ethanol gas, soon to be 15.. when I lived there I couldn't get away from it, short of going to a marine s/s, and those guys just take the piss on price!

I'm kinda happy that in Australia, there is NO ethanol yet. And while gas is quite a bit more expensive than in the US, at least it's still way cheaper than in the UK!

The gas in Massachusetts is all 10% as far as I've seen, unless you buy airplane fuel.
Like mentioned, after a couple of weeks sitting the stuff becomes a problem. Fuel stabilzer gets added if I don't burn the fuel in a week or so. A lot of people use it year round. It's a total diaster at the marina if not stabilized. You can see the fuel filters swell with in minutes when changing them. There is always a hard varnish type deposit in the secondary filters even with stabilizer. I shot gun once a year when I service her, plugs, and fuel filter.
Steve-o

Back