1997 V max ? Info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoDean77

Reaction score
Looking at buying low mile 1997 model . How many 1997 models were imported (USA)? Appreciate any and all thoughts for that year model , good&bad ?
Thanks✌🏻

If you are searching for a low mileage example there isn't a whole lot of difference among any of the years 1985 to 1989 had 2 ignition pickup coils and 40 mm down tubes and front Fork Sliders, smaller calipers and dual piston front brakes up until 1992 for the smaller front end components but from 1990-2007 it was a single ignition pickup coil. In 1993 they went to 43 mm front end components and 298 mm front discs and 4-piston front brake calipers. If you really like a particular color scheme for instance 1997 by having painted the front and rear fenders and the false gas tank cover you pretty much have painted everything that needs to be a different color.

I suggest finding the best condition bike with the lowest mileage that you can afford and go from there.

Last edited:
If you are searching for a low mileage example there isn't a whole lot of difference among any of the years 1985 to 1989 had 2 ignition pickup coils and 40 mm down tubes and front Fork Sliders, smaller calipers and dual piston front brakes up until 1992 for the smaller front end components but from 1990-2007 it was a single ignition pickup coil. In 1993 they went to 43 mm front end components and 298 mm front discs and 4-piston front brake calipers. If you really like a particular color scheme for instance 1997 by having painted the front and rear fenders and the false gas tank cover you pretty much have painted everything that needs to be a different color.

I suggest finding the best condition bike with the lowest mileage that you can afford and go from there.

He's right you know...

If you like to modify your Max , and MANY of us have , most people won't be able to I.D. the year of your Max...

Attachments

• Rollie's '98 VMax At The Golf Course   55.jpg
    Rollie's '98 VMax At The Golf Course 55.jpg
    344.7 KB
Looking at buying low mile 1997 model . How many 1997 models were imported (USA)? Appreciate any and all thoughts for that year model , good&bad ?
Thanks✌🏻

I have a 1997, no issues now other than 2nd gear going out, but this is a weakness with all Gen 1's. Good color scheme with the black rims and black fork legs. Not a fan of the two-tone gray/black saddle. I swapped mine out. EBC HH brake pads improved the front braking, conversion to a Goldwing battery fixed my electrical and starting issues. Easy to work on, lots of mods you can do, easy to get parts for a decent price (vs 2nd Gen).

As bought:
My Vmax 00q0q_aGvGRCbv7Zj_600x450.jpg

Current mods:
20210619_150928.jpg
20210619_150911.jpg

All the components are boxed in my garage and available to revert back to the as bought condition. Most items in black (except headers) are Plasti Dip sprayed and the coating is removable.

IMO I would rather have a higher mileage bike with a full service history against one that has sat in the garage for most of its life.
These bikes don't tend to wear out although like most of us some of the components tire as they get older.

Back