1998 Vmax weird idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hey, I’ve been chasing a weird idle for a while now, new carb rebuild, all jets and such replaced, ultra sonic bath, I gave these carbs the works. Brand new iridium spark plugs, I’ve synced them pretty well, unsure what to check next. It has a new fuel pump and it only seems like the right side is hiccuping, I’ve attached a video of its idle below. Only the right side makes this brap noise, the left side is fine

Attachments

• 75140742168__F755A093-7E55-4DAB-883F-5571BC3903F8.mov
    439.8 KB
You posted this issue in a thread August 23rd, 2024:

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/1998-vmax-weird-idle-running.54170/

"Good evening, i have a 1998 VMAX that has been pretty good to me. However when I got it running I had just rebuilt the carbs entirely. Since the entirety of it running it has always had a weird idle. Sometimes itll shutoff at idle but run perfect with throttle cracked. I replaced the fuel pump and spark plug due to other issues and it doesnt seem to stall anymore but now while cold the bike idles at 1100, but when it warms up it gets to over 2k. Does this just mean I have my idle set too high and should be using more choke when colder? Another thing is the exhaust notes seem to indicate that the cylinders arent firing the exact same. Was wondering if this is normal or not as im getting some pops and noises on one side but not the either. One thing to note I have yet to sync the carbs."

Recommend you put the above post and video into that thread.

Latest posts

Back