2002 v-max help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott67543

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 v-max with 17k miles and was looking for some advice to upgrade its handling and or power. I put two new Dunlop 404's on it and replace the fork seals and put new progressive springs in. I read about solid motor mounts and wondered if they were worth the trouble. Also any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seals, progressive springs and a good 15w fork would be a cheap(<$100) upgrade. Everything else is gonna cost money or time. Better rear shocks, fork brace, solid motor mounts, braced swingarm, frame brace and 17" wheels with radials. The solid motor mounts are fairly cheap(<$100) and make a big difference, but unless your already pulling the motor the back lower mounts will be a pain to swap. Good bias ply tires will make a difference as well, as I never liked the grip provided by the stock dunlops myself.

As far as power goes, v-max power is expensive. The good news is that you have lots to start with. I would guess the most popular power upgrade is an exhaust system and jetting changes. But don't believe some of the numbers that you may hear thrown around. You will get a small increase in HP with a full system, slip ons don't do much more then make the bike louder. I'd also get a K&N filter- but keep the stock air box, don't go to pods.

I don't know what they would charge in your area, but around here you can get a dyno run with O2 for around $70 (they will often do several pulls) The important thing is that they can point you toward what jetting changes you need and possibly needle changes. Getting the carbs right (and balanced) after you mount the pipes is in my opinion your best performance upgrade.

On my 2002 I went with the frame bracing next. I kept the mounts as is and installed torque rods. Then a 3 inch stretched braced notched swingarm for the 18 inch wheels and new shocks. I changed the head bearings when I did the front fork seals along with a ricor emulator valve and 5wt oil and progressive springs. Radical difference with all. It has began.

We can sell you everything you need for the complete project. Check out our albums on the facebook site for many examples (specifically find the swingarms and carrozzeria albums)

Back