2005 fork resurrection questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1rick

Reaction score
Guys, I'm sure this has been beat to death, and I've searched some threads, but I think that just confused me more lol.

I bought this bike and it has been sitting for 6 years. I've got a lot of work to do, but day by day I'm getting a game plan together. That way when I actually get the time to start working on it I've got parts on hand and a know which direction to go in.

One fork seal is leaking, obviously I will do both sides. I want to do OEM seals, and progressive springs, I do NOT want to lower the bike. I also figure I should change the bushings. But not really sure where to source them, maybe OEM as well? What is a reputable place to get the springs? Any help is appreciated.

Haven't even washed it yet, 14k miles.

1000006653.jpg

Fork seals are 4PU-23145-01 and the bushing and the upper bushing 5EB2312500 and lower bushing, 5EB2317100 both available from your Yamaha dealer.
You may also want to inspect the washer that sits under the oil seal, 4V4-23146-L0 and also the dust seal, 4PU-23144-00.
That little lot comes to approximately$152.00 (from CSML) so I would strip the forks first and inspect the various parts first and only order those that warrant it.
IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it!

As for springs you have two choices, progressive wound or fixed rate springs.
The former are a one size fits all solution whereas fixed rates are available in several rates to suit the weight of the rider and IMO a better alternative.
In addition also consider fitting emulators which replace the OE (some may say crude) damping with something that gives much better control.
Have a butchers here

Fork seals are 4PU-23145-01 and the bushing and the upper bushing 5EB2312500 and lower bushing, 5EB2317100 both available from your Yamaha dealer.
You may also want to inspect the washer that sits under the oil seal, 4V4-23146-L0 and also the dust seal, 4PU-23144-00.
That little lot comes to approximately$152.00 (from CSML) so I would strip the forks first and inspect the various parts first and only order those that warrant it.
IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it!

As for springs you have two choices, progressive wound or fixed rate springs.
The former are a one size fits all solution whereas fixed rates are available in several rates to suit the weight of the rider and IMO a better alternative.
In addition also consider fitting emulators which replace the OE (some may say crude) damping with something that gives much better control.
Have a butchers here
Thanks for the input, is the seal kit 4PU-W003B-00-00 correct for an '05 model? I believe that is oil seals and dust covers.

As for the springs I think the progressive ones will work fine for me. If I start going too far down the rabbit hole I'll lose sight of what my intentions are with this bike. For now anyway. 😀

I see different vendors selling progressive rate springs. Is there one that is better than the other? Again, I don't want to lower the bike, and I'm seeing a lot of minus 1" stuff.

I have had good luck over the years on many bikes with All Balls kits. Did my 2005 using them - Seals 56-137, bushings 38-6094, readily available on eBay for under $100 total with free shipping in the US. Bushing kit includes cap o-rings, fork seal retainer springs and bottom bolt copper washers. Not clear why OEM for at least $50 more is necessary. I used single rate springs from RaceTech rated for my weight and riding style. Did not do cartridge emulators. I have used emulators in race bikes and wasn't overly impressed. Plus found them a pain to dial in. But that is just my own personal opinion.

Latest posts

Back