2nd gear wobble @ 40-50mph????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so my swingarm bolts.. that was a pretty easy deal... they are and were within spec..

seeems ot be more of a 50 mph wobble now, no matter what the gear.

so dan-o.. i think i'm gonna take your and jfeagins's advice and go get them reblaanced...

looking at my bike today i saw a slight in/out/in when the bike was in 3rd gear and on the center stand.. i'm sorry i just can't do 5th it scares me that its just gonna catch and i'm gonna be out a perfectly good max.....

so i think i'm gonna call the dealer and ask how much to re-balance my tire...

seems like a logical next step.. and maybe a good excuse for some frame braces... :clapping::clapping:

Make sure to take your wheels off yourself - helluva lot cheaper to balance that way!

Also, check out the dynabeads, all you need is to do is let the air out, unscrew the valve core, put the beads in the tire, replace core and inflate, et voil? - perfect balance!

Here are the instructions.. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6250&highlight=dynabeads

Def NG... wouldn't do it any other way.. next rainy day i'll call 'em up since the dealer is 5 miles down from work.. hopefully they have a high-speed balancer...

u run the 170 shinko with dynabeads eh?

hey danny you around? do you run dynabeeds?

wheels were fine and balanced.. the rear shinko was fine, the front has a tiny wobble in the tire tho, which may be contributing slightly..

put frame braces on and the wobble is all but gone. i've noticed it is much worse on shitty roads, not there on smooth ones...

yea Garrett, I use dynabeads in both front 110/18 and rear 170/15 Shinkos.

I think I got a tiny high speed vibe from the front after removing the weight and going to the beads, but it could be in my head and also the rear has a patch as I got a flat only a week or two after mounting it!

OK its not your swingarm bolts, nor your muffler bearing fluid boiling, nor the seat foam is wore out.. geeze..

You have the head bolt to tight !

Get the front wheel off the ground.
The handlebars should swing left to right to the stops with little to no effort.
If they just fall over its to loose
If they dont swing all the way they are to tight.

Ok now put your VMAX together and perform this 20 min adjustment and eat a burrito for me.:clapping:

OK its not your swingarm bolts, nor your muffler bearing fluid boiling, nor the seat foam is wore out.. geeze..

You have the head bolt to tight !

Get the front wheel off the ground.
The handlebars should swing left to right to the stops with little to no effort.
If they just fall over its to loose
If they dont swing all the way they are to tight.

Ok now put your VMAX together and perform this 20 min adjustment and eat a burrito for me.:clapping:

hey lankee...

thanks for th ehelp, but its the first thing i did. that fixed like 95% of it.. and the other stuff has fixed most of the rest of the problem.. still there, but really only going from like 55 - 40 at the low 40's and if i'm in 2nd or 3rd gear (higher engine RPMs) and the road is pretty rough...

Mine was bad enough that if you let go of the bars at any lower speed it would have been a tank slapper within seconds.
After trying every other fix, I asked a friend at a bike shop, and he said low speed wobbles are almost always front tire cupping. I needed a rear tire any way, so I replaced them both, and problem is completely gone. I can run it up to 80, let go of the bars, and it's straight as a string back to 30. Hell, I took it to 100 and let go and from 80 back to 40 I could lean left right left, and the bike followed with no shakes at all.
By the way, the old front tire looked and felt fine.:ummm:

Mine was bad enough that if you let go of the bars at any lower speed it would have been a tank slapper within seconds.
After trying every other fix, I asked a friend at a bike shop, and he said low speed wobbles are almost always front tire cupping. I needed a rear tire any way, so I replaced them both, and problem is completely gone. I can run it up to 80, let go of the bars, and it's straight as a string back to 30. Hell, I took it to 100 and let go and from 80 back to 40 I could lean left right left, and the bike followed with no shakes at all.
By the way, the old front tire looked and felt fine.:ummm:

yea seems like tires are a huge culprit here usually... my tire is new, but it does have a slight wobble on it (saw it at the dealers when he was re-balancing them) so thats probably contributing....

yea seems like tires are a huge culprit here usually... my tire is new, but it does have a slight wobble on it (saw it at the dealers when he was re-balancing them) so thats probably contributing....

Just had an idea Garrett, if you have access to another wheel & tire, take yours off and try that one. If that's not a possibility, take a ride over here some Saturday and we'll throw on the wheel & ME33 Lasertec tire that Thevmaxrider gave me.

Just to see how it acts. Better....worse....the same....WTF ever!!

Just had an idea Garrett, if you have access to another wheel & tire, take yours off and try that one. If that's not a possibility, take a ride over here some Saturday and we'll throw on the wheel & ME33 Lasertec tire that Thevmaxrider gave me.

Just to see how it acts. Better....worse....the same....WTF ever!!

nah no access the closest max i knwo if is my old on on the vinyard! haha.. yea maybe give it a shot sometime.. altho its all but gone... i think the roads in this neck of the woods may actually be contributing as well since they're so shitty! i just did the test today, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear all from about 55 - 35 and no wobble.... i'm pretty happy now tho

Latest posts

Back