'96 Not so stock vMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Alright so I just got back from the Dyno Lab with my pre-owned pre-loved vmax.

I didn't know all the mods done to the bike before the test but what I did know was that I have the UFO quadzilla pipes and a K&N filter.

The results..... not so hot.

Max HP.... 94 at 115mph and 8575 RPM. I was really hoping for triple digits. Not so much that I need the speed, its simply nice to know your bike has big balls.

Now here comes where the problem is. It seems one of the previous owners (there have been at least 2 before me) decided to slam in a jet kit without tuning it.. at all.

So now I am faced with the delima. Do I take it back to the shop and get it tuned? Or do I get a new jet kit and get it tuned? Or do I simply see about removing the jet kit and going stock?

The main problem is that I have no idea what jet kit it is (and no idea how to find out if I even can.)

:confused2::ummm::confused2::ummm:

There are not too many jet kits out there for the vmax.

Dynojet stage 7 is pretty popular. Typically, if someone installed a stage 7, you will no longer have the stock airbox, you will have 4, individual, pod filters.

A muscle jet kit is easy to spot. It will have the stock airbox but the lid is modified. The is a large, rectangular K&N filter grafted into the OEM airbox lid.

If you don't see any air box mods then you probably have a Dyno jet stage 1, or maybe just some odd combination that someone brewed up on their own.

Does you dyno have an A/F reading on it? It should! Post it up so we can see where the bike is running.

If you're gonna spend any money on it, I would suggest buying a Muscle jet kit or stage 7. Both make good power. Muscle jet kit has a bit more in the low/mid range.

Not sure how mechanical you are but its not too hard to do.

Did they get you an A/F ratio reading? Sounds like a stage one kit was likely installed. Needle and Jet type would let us know what was done.

Sean

Sorry, I meant to add the AF readings.

I have the quadzilla pipes so I have 4 sets of readings. But they are pretty much all low 11's and high 10's. The shop guy was telling me I should be between 12 and 12.5

This is the K&N air filter I have in my bike right now.

picture.php

Look under and see if the system joins pipes anywhere or if they are all individually run (a 4-4 or a 4-2-4). If they are all on their own pipe then that's why it isn't going to work for shit.

Sean

Yeah they are all on their own. It does look like the front pipes do connect in the back... its kind of a "H" connection.... the pipes go down the left and right side and in the back they have a connection between the two but the pipes don't move into each other.

Thanks goodness for Sean and the other guru's around here for helping us out of these messes!

Ok here are some photos of the exhaust.

Front two.
picture.php

Back two.
picture.php

The "H" connection I was talking about how the front two pipes connect in the back.
picture.php

I would consider going back to stock jetting for now. You should be 110-120 hp with just doing that although Max doesn't like the 4-4 exhaust that much. It does look good though.

Well basicly I am wondering what my next step is.

Is the 4-4 exhaust bad enough where the first thing I should do is replace it?

Should I just go back to stock jetting? Get it tuned?

Now if I do replace the exhaust I will have to re-tune it again anyway even if I tune it now.

To me they look like stockers. I think you have the stockers with the cobra slip-ons and not UFO quadzilla (They look similar, see pictures below, Cobra on the left, UFO's on the right). The black outer wall of your front pipes and them frankenstein welds on the back pipes, the crossover, everything matches up to a '96, stock, black system w/ Cobras. That would explain why your down on HP.
Marks and Dale Walker make a nice 4-2 setup.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    102.6 KB
  • Quadzilla-Left-Side.jpg
    Quadzilla-Left-Side.jpg
    411.7 KB
KJ, You know what. I think you might be right. Someone suggested that they looked like quadzillas and the photos looked right but looking at those two photos I can defiantly see the difference now.

*sigh* I love looking like a dumbass. *shakes head* lol

No big deal, it's happend to us all at one point or another. but now you have a base point and know why your down on the HP. If you drop your mains to about a mikuni 147.5, you should get a little of it back.

A different set of slip on's like Trapps or a Delkevic system like Coprunner has would bring your hp back to a more normal range.

No big deal, it's happend to us all at one point or another. but now you have a base point and know why your down on the HP. If you drop your mains to about a mikuni 147.5, you should get a little of it back.

A different set of slip on's like Trapps or a Delkevic system like Coprunner has would bring your hp back to a more normal range.

I am thinking getting a full system may be best. And from pretty much what I have read is Marks is the top pick.

They aren't cobra's but aren't going to make much power. The Marks would be better for sure.

Sean

Back