98 vmax $$?, opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense taken! Dealer is still dragging his feet on the bike.....he says the mechanic has been "too busy" to look at it. We told him that it only takes 10 minutes to confirm the problems, then get a repair quote worked up. Its not rocket science!! I think the dealer is hoping someone else comes along and gives the asking price without noticing the problems. We'll see.

I paid 5,000 for my 98 with 17k miles. I know that was a premium price. But it is in very nice shape with very few minor flaws. Stage 7 kit, K&N filters, Kerker 4 into 1, good tires and brakes, OEM backrest with grab bar too, chromed scoops and side covers, original manual. No rust anywhere, no rust in tank. And it's black, which I like a lot. I could have had a 2000 for 3,900, but it needed a back tire, brakes, backrest, and the carbs figured out since it "doesn't run right on anything but 87 octane". It's not easy to find a nice one for less than 5k in my experience.

Hope it goes OK for you!

No offense taken! Dealer is still dragging his feet on the bike.....he says the mechanic has been "too busy" to look at it. We told him that it only takes 10 minutes to confirm the problems, then get a repair quote worked up. Its not rocket science!! I think the dealer is hoping someone else comes along and gives the asking price without noticing the problems. We'll see.

this

Update... Finally. Dealer called and has decided to accept the offer of 3400 out the door...as is. Bikes in great shape, but does need the problems addressed before riding it anywhere other than home to the garage. So I guess we'll be getting another member here on the forum!

Update... Finally. Dealer called and has decided to accept the offer of 3400 out the door...as is. Bikes in great shape, but does need the problems addressed before riding it anywhere other than home to the garage. So I guess we'll be getting another member here on the forum!

If he's going to learn, might as well start the class right off the bat :clapping: Fortunately a few of the professors here have their doctorate. He'll be graduating Vmax-cum-laude in no time.

Very true! Now we have to round up a left front brake line, some fork seals, and maybe a oem tach. I guess we'll know more once we start wrenching on it.

+1 I sold my 95 for 3000 with no issues...3700 if they fixed them would not be a bad price at all with the low miles.

BUT with the bike sitting for the bulk of its life there may be some underlying issues that have yet to develop...dry clogged areas in the coolant system, dry cracked clutch plates, possibly an oil leak develop from dried gasket/seal in the motor or top end. I would rather buy a bike that has been ridden and know what the issues are than a bike that has low miles but has been sitting still for 13+ years. IMHO
+1, been there. At 12k my bike needed a carb rebuild, masters , clutch slave, Vboost fixed, clutch plates replaced from the oil used. But, I got the price down to make it worth it. Sitting is not good for a motorcycle. Vmax's are made for riding.
Steve-o

Very true! Now we have to round up a left front brake line, some fork seals, and maybe a oem tach. I guess we'll know more once we start wrenching on it.

Bob, I've got a front brake setup for sale off my '06. Both calipers, lines, splitter, and line up to the master. Pads are still good. Everything there is in good shape. About 5500 miles on the parts. I can cut you a good price on them if your interested.

sounds like a better deal for your guy as fixing the issues himself,then you know its done right, leaving it with the dealer.....well who knows eh...... congrats for your buddy, post pics when you can

I just purchased mine not too long ago. It's a '99 with 9,000 miles on it, Kerker 4-1, stage 7, K&n air pods and such for $3200. So you got a pretty good deal I'd say. Mine has had a few issues that will need to be addressed as time goes by, just like yers.

i guess i did ok then...i got my 96 a few months back with progressive suspension, jetted and tuned carbs, 4 2 1 hindle, and new tires for 2600...oh 15800 miles

Back