98hp really??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
Not sure but for some reason i thought i always heard that Vmax had 145hp ??? i looked it up and it said 98hp for a 98 which i have, seems like alot more i had a 88 FZ750 and i thought that was in the 80's so just kinda confused i guess:punk:

if i have my facts straight, all Gen 1 years have 145 at the crank and 110 at the wheel when they came out of the factory.

i reckon if a dyno tells you otherwise, it's because the bike needs to be tuned, or it has poor-performing aftermarket pieces.

145 is the Yamaha quoted HP, which is crank hp. A stock bike in good tune should ring in around 110-112hp or so at the tire. The HP was identical for all years....85 thru 07.

98hp means the bike is in serious need of a tune-up, or is running the Cobra exhaust, or both.

A full system and good carb tune will put the wheel HP numbers to 120-125 or so, which is about all you'll get without getting into motor work.

is that true, prez? i learned something new if it is. i mean i knew that they "crippled" the european editions, but i thought that it was done by removing the v-boost, which i guess in my poorly educated head that it didn't affect HPs.

I think i heard that about the EU version also, i just seen a MAX for sale and the guy claimed 98 hp and i figured he wasnt right i guess cause i always heard the magic 145hp number

is that true, prez? i learned something new if it is. i mean i knew that they "crippled" the european editions, but i thought that it was done by removing the v-boost, which i guess in my poorly educated head that it didn't affect HPs.

Yup, no v-boost, modified carbs, smaler muffler outlets, diffrent final drive ratio from ??, kph speedo, no relection lights at rad. side covers and tailight, extra "lights on" switch under start button and few diffrent stickers.

Rumors about detuned cams and diffrent TCI still not verified.

Not sure but for some reason i thought i always heard that Vmax had 145hp ??? i looked it up and it said 98hp for a 98 which i have, seems like alot more i had a 88 FZ750 and i thought that was in the 80's so just kinda confused i guess:punk:

We all know the benefits of properly-chosen and installed aftermarket exhaust & intake, as "RaWarrior" mentioned. What the actual numbers are on a dyno are subject to debate, as different manufacturers' dynos give different readings, and they all use 'correction factors' in an attempt to stabilize things for temperature, relative humidity, & atmospheric pressure (elevation).

I think it was "Sketchy" who pointed-out to me that the CN bikes do not have performance penalties, and "Prez" has pointed-out here it is the E.U. bikes that had hardware differences resulting in lower h.p.

I have heard that one way to recoup your lost h.p. is a simple bit of maintenance (just fix this):

Attachments

• carb failure.doc
    192 KB
We all know the benefits of properly-chosen and installed aftermarket exhaust & intake, as "RaWarrior" mentioned. What the actual numbers are on a dyno are subject to debate, as different manufacturers' dynos give different readings, and they all use 'correction factors' in an attempt to stabilize things for temperature, relative humidity, & atmospheric pressure (elevation).

I think it was "Sketchy" who pointed-out to me that the CN bikes do not have performance penalties, and "Prez" has pointed-out here it is the E.U. bikes that had hardware differences resulting in lower h.p.

I have heard that one way to recoup your lost h.p. is a simple bit of maintenance (just fix this):

+1 on the Dyno differences.I want to use a dyno people I ride with use. When I want to know quickly how she's running, I roll on with Mark's 2007. It's a good constant plus free and absolutely fun. Some stock bikes are a little quicker from the factory, why I'm not entirely sure? Bilt on a Monday, Friday..lol?
I like the Doc.too. Very important to get right. I put the lip in the groove then press the cover on against the spring pressure and move the cover around and check the diaphram at spots 90 deg. from each other while keeping the cover pressed against the lip groove area. No seal, no action. Then install the screws and secure the cover with tention still on the cover. Keeping everything wet with wd-40 or CRC helps a lot while assembling too.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Back