ABS flashing....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreggyG

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading up a bit on this and I still can't figure it out.....

I was hoping to you could help me diagnose and figure something out. I have a 2020 vmax with only 2k miles on it. I just changed the rear tail lights to the integrated set up from sean morley from Morley's muscle, I got the relay that he included in the kit to help the hyperflash. I also installed an extra set of rear led turn signals. two times now I get the flashing ABS light in the past 200-300 miles. It's my understanding that it could be connected somehow but some people get the flashing abs even with stock lights. I would highly appreciate any insight you may have. Thank you!

The code is for an incorrect input from one of the brake light switches. Some have stated that a resistor has helped. Others said it didnt help their concern. While the flashing ABS light is a hassle.....the ABS will still function with the flashing ABS. Well, it does on mine in any case. I am still trying to figure out what triggers the light. All I can tell you is I get mine to trigger more on harder stops when I use both brakes.

Thank you, it's more of an annoyance to me at this point. Will a resistor have to be wired into each side of the yellow wires for the signals? Anyone know which resistor, what are the specs?

I believe the resistor is wired into the brake circuit. On my bike, the brake circuit was just one wire not two. The two wires were for the turn signals and those aren't integrated to the actual brake circuit from what I can see.

As for what resistor is needed, I do not know. I will either deal with it blinking or cycle the ignition when I am at stop light. So I haven't dove any deeper than that.

Thank you, hmmm, so would it be wired into where the connector for the brake light goes towards the ECU? Any chance someone can chime in with where/what wire and what resistor?

I believe the resistor is wired into the brake circuit. On my bike, the brake circuit was just one wire not two. The two wires were for the turn signals and those aren't integrated to the actual brake circuit from what I can see.

As for what resistor is needed, I do not know. I will either deal with it blinking or cycle the ignition when I am at stop light. So I haven't dove any deeper than that.

I think I understand now, the turn signals are not likely the cause, it's the LED brake light itself that may not have enough load to send signal to the ABS/ECU. Where is your brake circuit located? Why does your bike have one wire not two? Any chance you have any pictures? So simply by adding a resistor to the yellow turn signals, you are stating that probably wouldn't fix it because they are not part of the brake circuit.

I don't know if it's related or not, but I have this one in addition to the integrated taillight installed and my ABS light never lights up.

https://www.signaldynamics.com/01004

But what came into my mind, if it is 'unwanted feedback' back to the ECU, a diode in the brake light circuit could help. I would try, i.e. 1N4007

Thank you, where is the brake light circuit and how to wire in a diode, just in line with one wire?

I think I understand now, the turn signals are not likely the cause, it's the LED brake light itself that may not have enough load to send signal to the ABS/ECU. Where is your brake circuit located? Why does your bike have one wire not two? Any chance you have any pictures? So simply by adding a resistor to the yellow turn signals, you are stating that probably wouldn't fix it because they are not part of the brake circuit.
When I did mine....the main brake light/running lights had their own OEM style connector. There were 2 individual wires that were for the turn signals. I cut the rear turn wires from the lights to wire those into the bike properly with the bikes connector. When I first did mine, I had resistors to stop the hyper flash. The regular Sylvania load resistors. I have always had the intermittent flashing ABS light. After the right front resistor failed, I replaced it with an electronic relay. All the resistors were removed, I still had the intermittent flashing ABS light. Research on the matter lead me to find that it was a signal issue from a brake light switch. Which one, I dont know. I do not have proper scan tools to monitor the ABS module to see what these inputs are and what I am missing. Thats why I didnt bother with resistors on the brake wire circuit, I havent heard of a diode stopping the issue but I havent heard of anyone trying either.

I cannot remember. Does the stock taillight have Bulbs or LEDs? I thought LEDs?

According to the pdf it is LEDs. If it would be bulbs, I'd understand the need of a resistor.

Thank you all for the ongoing help. I think we can figure this out together. The stock taillight is LED, so that makes me confused as to how it's the integrated led replacement, assuming it's NOT the turn signals?

Yes. The OEM is LED. What I think is happening is the ground. There is only 1 ground for the brake/tail/turns. That could be causing a voltage drop that sometimes affects the ABS module. Its the only thing that makes sense to me from a vehicle electrical standpoint. Its the testing though....no scanner to talk to the ABS module, the infrequent nature of the fault and the disassembly needed to perform long term testing.

Back