air fuel meter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Garrett,

If your not in a hurry and can wait a bit, you are welcome to use my LM-1 wideband. You can even datalog with it.

He can have your LM-1 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. :whistlin::nyah nyah: :stretche: :th_peace: :th_wine: :stir pot: :punk:

Get a wide band without a doubt. Narrow bands accuracy goes bad real quick when it strays off 14.7:1

You can get the wide band sensor from Kragen for about $55. Bosch 17014 if I remember correctly. Will check it out when I get home.

Theres one single BUT.

All of meters designed for working with narrow sensor should work without any problems with wide sensors but...not always...

I do not believe this is correct. A wide band requires a special controller. I do not believe the narrow band meter will work with a wide band sensor. I'll check later tonite for sure but i'm 95% sure...

He can have your LM-1 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. :whistlin::nyah nyah: :stretche: :th_peace: :th_wine: :stir pot: :punk:

haha fair enough. thought about it and if its priced reasonable enough iwill probably try to get my own to keep and eye on it.

Get a wide band without a doubt. Narrow bands accuracy goes bad real quick when it strays off 14.7:1

You can get the wide band sensor from Kragen for about $55. Bosch 17014 if I remember correctly. Will check it out when I get home.

so the sensor is $55, what about the display n such? basically theres just two pieces to these machines, the gauge and the sensor, right?

Theres one single BUT.

All of meters designed for working with narrow sensor should work without any problems with wide sensors but...not always...

I do not believe this is correct. A wide band requires a special controller. I do not believe the narrow band meter will work with a wide band sensor. I'll check later tonite for sure but i'm 95% sure...

let me know what u guys decide, but is the general consensus that narrowband doesn't work very well?

I'm pretty sure you are correct with this Mark, the wideband sensor needs to be up to 500 degrees (or some hot temperature) in order for it to work correctly. The wideband sensors have this special heating element built into them and the controllers ensure they stay at this temp for an accurate reading. Now assuming that your wideband sensor is at or above this given temperature, than maybe it will work...maybe

I was doing some research on this a while back. There is no reason that these wideband gauges should cost so much. I was trying to figure out what type of output signal the wideband sensors gave to the gauges.... was it a simple voltage, or was it more complex than that? I believe the wideband sensors have 5 wires, 2 are for the heating element (1 is positive and one negative), and the other 3 should be a positive, a negative and I'm guessing the signal wire. If my thinking is correct, all we should have to do is hook up a volt meter to the correct wires and the correlate the output (voltage, or other signal type) to the air/fuel ratio.

I gave up pretty early, and borrowed a friends LM-1:eusa_dance:

Maybe someone else can take this and run with it... Maybe the Vmax Guru... he seemed to be an electrical wizard!

Mark, some gauges have bulit in wideband controlers but most cheapo meters that you will find on the market do not have.I saw one here localy that have one 4 pin connector and 5 pin connector, i've checked.

So let me correct myself:
"Most narrow meters will not work with wide sensor, couple will"

I'm pretty sure you are correct with this Mark, the wideband sensor needs to be up to 500 degrees (or some hot temperature) in order for it to work correctly. The wideband sensors have this special heating element built into them and the controllers ensure they stay at this temp for an accurate reading. Now assuming that your wideband sensor is at or above this given temperature, than maybe it will work...maybe

I was doing some research on this a while back. There is no reason that these wideband gauges should cost so much. I was trying to figure out what type of output signal the wideband sensors gave to the gauges.... was it a simple voltage, or was it more complex than that? I believe the wideband sensors have 5 wires, 2 are for the heating element (1 is positive and one negative), and the other 3 should be a positive, a negative and I'm guessing the signal wire. If my thinking is correct, all we should have to do is hook up a volt meter to the correct wires and the correlate the output (voltage, or other signal type) to the air/fuel ratio.
I gave up pretty early, and borrowed a friends LM-1:eusa_dance:

Maybe someone else can take this and run with it... Maybe the Vmax Guru... he seemed to be an electrical wizard!

Yes, you right. Wideband sensors have 5 wires and narrow have 4 wires(most). But also i saw narrow 3 wires and wide 4 wires.
Im talking about cars engines, i use to repair some.

Also they have diffrent operational voltage mostyl 1V to 5V.

And yes you right about preheating the wideband sensor but its not that simple. You cant just plug suply and heat that sensor. Heating the sensor must be very acurate so thats why it needs the special controler.
Take a look and Innovate sensor with external wideband controler:
g3kit.jpg

Here you have very intresting site:
http://www.wbo2.com/

Ha! Well Garrett, guess you'll have to get with Fargo if ya wanna use the LM-1! If i pried anything from his cold dead hands, it will be his BIKE!:eusa_dance:

thanks for the offer mark! looks like i'll need a wideband either way, if i wanted to get my own what are good (cheaper) options?

Ha! Well Garrett, guess you'll have to get with Fargo if ya wanna use the LM-1! If i pried anything from his cold dead hands, it will be his BIKE!:eusa_dance:

You might have to fight my son for the bike :biglaugh:
I should put it in my will that I want to be buried with my bike :punk:

cool. that may go on the list of wants. i appreciate marks offer and may go with that but it'd be nice to have my own.

if i wanted to make a generic setup, as i work on other bikes, could i take a piece of tubing and weld a bung into it so the bung is a T and then put that tubbing in the exhaust so it flows thru the tubbing?

Latest posts

Back