Amsoil, gas milage and Harley types

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil has extremely little effect on mileage...like tenths of a MPG at best. 40+ is possible on virtually any Vmax, you just have to keep the wrist spasms down and not go ripping off every stoplight. Smooth, easy acceleration with early shifting, and 75mph on the highway usually returns 40-42 for me. I have the Venture drive, which seems to be good for an extra MPG or two also.

The p/o of my bike always used Mobil1 4T "Racing Oil". I noticed recently it wasn't shifting as smoothly, and neutral was getting tough to find. It had almost 7000 miles on the oil (which was barely dirty when I drained it), but with fresh oil it is much smoother now and finding neutral doesn't require me to sit there and kick the shifter for 30 seconds looking like a n00b.

That's Harley riders....all talk, all show, but when it comes to action they always pussy out because they know they're riding overpriced, underperforming relics and are afraid to even show their face afterward. Unfortunately, it's way too typical.
7,000 MILES , " HOLY SHIT " , ITS GOING TO KILL ME TO START CHANGING MINE EVERY 2,000 MILES INSTEAD OF 1,000 MILES ! ... :confused2:

Every 1000 miles? I'd be going broke from buying oil! I have almost 4000 on the bike so far this season!

I think the "3000 miles" for cars is very conservative, and there have been investigations to this claim...see bobistheoilguy.com for more info than you'll ever want to know about motor oil. 5000 is more realistic, and with new synthetics that virtually never break down/lose viscosity, it's even more of a waste to change it. With synthetics, the only reason to change it when it gets dirty. I had 7000 miles, and it was maybe a deep tan. But it was shifting harder from more clutch drag, so it was wearing out, the additives in it were getting depleted.

I know a couple very nice HD riders, unfortunately for every nice guy I encounter, I also run into an asshole who gives them all a bad name. The difference between Vmax modding, and the bunch of "riders" over there modding sportys is that we mod the bike, and enjoy it. They mod it, and their nuts magically double in size and they feel the need to shit-talk everything they know is faster(pretty much everything). There's no threads here about how much Hayabusas or ZX14's suck.

Long time ago, I was at Americade, hanging out at a bar "Topps" which was the unoffical "Harley(tm) bar. You know the type of place. I had my Max parked right outside the door, and was having 5 or 6 quiet beers.

This punk comes in and starts running his mouth "who's riding that Jap shit out front?" This is a HARLEY(tm) BAR, and we don't want any riceburners in front. The punk looked all of about 16 years old. I politely advise him that that Jap shitbike is mine. I asked him what he was pedaling tonight, and he replied "I've got a Genuine(tm) Harley(tm) Sportster 883(tm).

I asked him how he carries all the newspapers for his route customers. Got a little bassket on the handlebars???? He was nopt amused, but seeing my size, and pissed expression, he wisely kept his mouth shut.

Short time later, when the Harleyboys were all orgasming all over themselves for being cool enough to own a Harley(tm), some goofball on like a 125cc dirt bike - a 2 stroke - pulled the ass end of the bike in the front door and filled the place up with smoke. The Harley(tm) guys all went ballistic, and the dirt bike kid tore ass out of there, giving everyone the finger.

Ten minutes later, he came back and did it again..... Priceless.

Every 1000 miles? I'd be going broke from buying oil! I have almost 4000 on the bike so far this season!

I think the "3000 miles" for cars is very conservative, and there have been investigations to this claim...see bobistheoilguy.com for more info than you'll ever want to know about motor oil. 5000 is more realistic, and with new synthetics that virtually never break down/lose viscosity, it's even more of a waste to change it. With synthetics, the only reason to change it when it gets dirty. I had 7000 miles, and it was maybe a deep tan. But it was shifting harder from more clutch drag, so it was wearing out, the additives in it were getting depleted.

I know a couple very nice HD riders, unfortunately for every nice guy I encounter, I also run into an asshole who gives them all a bad name. The difference between Vmax modding, and the bunch of "riders" over there modding sportys is that we mod the bike, and enjoy it. They mod it, and their nuts magically double in size and they feel the need to shit-talk everything they know is faster(pretty much everything). There's no threads here about how much Hayabusas or ZX14's suck.
" RAWARRIOR " SHIT BEFORE I CHANGED MY OIL LAST TIME , ( WITH ONLY 1,000 MILES ON IT ) I DRAINED IT OUT , FILLED IT WITH NEW SHELL ROTELLA , RAN IT FOR 20 MINUTES , REMOVED THE FILTER , DRAINED THAT ALL OUT FOR 24 HOURS , THEN PUT IN THE MOBIL #1 SYNTHETIC & ZDDP ! .. PLEASE TRY TO GET SOME SLEEP TONIGHT " RA " .. :rofl_200:

Short time later, when the Harleyboys were all orgasming all over themselves for being cool enough to own a Harley(tm), some goofball on like a 125cc dirt bike - a 2 stroke - pulled the ass end of the bike in the front door and filled the place up with smoke. The Harley(tm) guys all went ballistic, and the dirt bike kid tore ass out of there, giving everyone the finger.

Ten minutes later, he came back and did it again..... Priceless

Now that's a funny story! BaaaHaaa!!

I have a few harley friends...one has been riding Harleys for 30 years and doesn't need to pretend....another bought one 4 years ago and is now the official expert on all things Harley..blah,blah.blah..yawn!

I will say when it's time to go for bags..it will be a Street Glide for me...I just like the way they look. I will however, not be sporting a single piece of Harley(tm) clothing. or tassles. ;-)

Long time ago, I was at Americade, hanging out at a bar "Topps" which was the unoffical "Harley(tm) bar. You know the type of place. I had my Max parked right outside the door, and was having 5 or 6 quiet beers.

This punk comes in and starts running his mouth "who's riding that Jap shit out front?" This is a HARLEY(tm) BAR, and we don't want any riceburners in front. The punk looked all of about 16 years old. I politely advise him that that Jap shitbike is mine. I asked him what he was pedaling tonight, and he replied "I've got a Genuine(tm) Harley(tm) Sportster 883(tm).

I asked him how he carries all the newspapers for his route customers. Got a little bassket on the handlebars???? He was nopt amused, but seeing my size, and pissed expression, he wisely kept his mouth shut.

MAN THATS GREAT ! ... I WISH I WAS THERE ! .. :punk:

I don't think I would let my bike oil go quite 7,000 miles before changing, due to the fact that it is not only lubricating the engine but the transmission as well. I change mine each riding season.(which is about 3,000 miles)

Whatever floats your boat Tim....certianly can't hurt anything, just that I'm a cheap bastard and pinch pennies whenever possible. Normally I do about 5k on oil, but I'd been putting it off for a while, and didn't finally get around to it until nearly 7k. Last season I dd about 6k miles, and I'm already at 4k so far this season....probably have 8 or 9k before it gets cold again. Knowing me, I'll probably run this oil until the end of the season, unless it starts shifting crappy again. Then I'll probably try the amsoil...

Anyone try the Blue Marble oil additive? Remember reading a rave review of their "reverup" additive in some bike mag, saying it dramatically improved shifting. Blue marble claims it blows away all other oils in wear resistance. However I rarely ever see their 2 stroke oil, and have never seen the 4 stroke additive.

Ooh.. A sportster 883....you know you're a bas-azz with 50 horsepower

Bill, if we ever hang our togther, and were close enought to do that, we're gonna get in a shit load of trouble, you have an attitude a lot like mine :punk:

Whatever floats your boat Tim....certianly can't hurt anything, just that I'm a cheap bastard and pinch pennies whenever possible. Normally I do about 5k on oil, but I'd been putting it off for a while, and didn't finally get around to it until nearly 7k. Last season I dd about 6k miles, and I'm already at 4k so far this season....probably have 8 or 9k before it gets cold again. Knowing me, I'll probably run this oil until the end of the season, unless it starts shifting crappy again. Then I'll probably try the amsoil...

Anyone try the Blue Marble oil additive? Remember reading a rave review of their "reverup" additive in some bike mag, saying it dramatically improved shifting. Blue marble claims it blows away all other oils in wear resistance. However I rarely ever see their 2 stroke oil, and have never seen the 4 stroke additive.

Ooh.. A sportster 883....you know you're a bas-azz with 50 horsepower
" RA " REMEMBER , YOUR TALKING TO A GUY WHO SPENT OVER $2,000.00 BUILDING HIS SON A WAGON & TRAILER ! :confused2:

Attachments

• 100_1058.jpg
    100_1058.jpg
    30 KB
  • 100_0906.jpg
    100_0906.jpg
    78.2 KB
CHRIS , I DON'T BELIEVE IN " SNAKE OIL EITHER " , BUT I HAVE ALWAYS SAID MY MAX IS THE WORST SHIFTING BIKE I'VE EVER HAD ! ... THEY STOPPED MAKING THE YAMAHA 20W-40 OIL , AND I SHOPPED AROUND AND MY BUDDY ONLY USES AMSOIL , SO I PUT IN THE MOBIL ONE SYNTHETIC 20W-50 MOTORCYCLE OIL , AND RIGHT AWAY IT SHIFTED EASY , I STILL DON'T BELIEVE IT MYSELF ! ... I USED TO CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES , SO NOW I'LL DO IT EVEY 2,000 MILES & I'LL BREAK EVEN ! .. :punk: PS. IT DID NOT CHANGE MY MILEAGE AT ALL ! ... I GOT 44.25 MPG TO & FROM " BROWNIE RUN 2010 " !

:punk::punk::punk:nice man, think it must be the aerodynamics you have integrated onto your machine, thats great mileage wish i got that.

How long until it gets a NOS kit? Bet those dually tires would hook up great.

I guess I spend close to a grand on my minibike....it's on the no-change oil plan, since it leaks at a decent clip. I borrowed a trick from HD on that one, and I've been too cheap/lazy to go find a Briggs and Stratton dealer to order a new side cover gasket. Uh oh....that makes me imitating a HD rider! Though that minibike turns more heads and gets more attention than the $25k HD dresser I parked it next to yesterday in town. Bet it gets to 30mph faster too. Lil' 10hp B&S really hauls that thing around. I was hoping to find a v-twin horizontal Briggs, but those are rarely used so there's not a lot around used, and the ones that I found were waaay too pricey. Can get those up to like 25hp. But for the 300cc laydown thumper I found, it's a good motor and has been tolerant of my abuse. Remember, there's no BS in your B&S!

nice ride for the boy thats awesome man:punk::punk: hows the burn out in that thing:rofl_200:
THANKS " TUGLA " , I WISH IT WOULD DO A BURN-OUT , I'D BRING IT TO BROWNIE RUN " 2011 " AND TRY & TOP MY " 2010 " STUNT ! .. :biglaugh: .. :punk:

THANKS " TUGLA " , I WISH IT WOULD DO A BURN-OUT , I'D BRING IT TO BROWNIE RUN " 2011 " AND TRY & TOP MY " 2010 " STUNT ! .. :biglaugh: .. :punk:
i'll make sure i get there earlier just to watch that :punk: hey if i lift teh rear quarter might lighten it up enough to start spinning :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Re: Amsoil, gas mileage and Harley types

I'll make sure i get there earlier just to watch that :punk: hey if i lift the rear quarter might lighten it up enough to start spinning :rofl_200::rofl_200:
YEAH , AND WE'LL POOR SOME BLEACH ON THE TIRES ! ... :punk:

Back