AR-15, 45 ACP, Gas Operated Progress

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I gave this Carbine the nickname "Fugly 45" :biglaugh: I built it as a PDW for in home defense.

The upper is by Ron Williams, it's a 10.5" barrel / 5.5" flash hider. on a DPMS High Ride Receiver, The lower is
a Spike's Tactical, Standard DPMS Parts Kit with the exception of a JP Reduced Power Hammer Spring and a
few non essential baubles. I'm using a Colt Horseshoe Bolt Carrier, standard buffer spring and standard buffer
with no weights.

The magazines are some various designs I'm trying, just deciding where I want to go with them. Actually, for now
the best magazine seems to be the modified MagPul PMag. Problem is that it only holds 5 rounds comfortably.
icon_smile_sad.gif
The

stainless mags hold 5 before the lips start to release their hold on the cases. the 6.8 Mag is so / so. The PPS-43
Mags hold varying amounts of ammo, I'm working on that.

I've shot it on 2 occasions and the accuracy, even when using various ammunition is unbelievable at defensive ranges.
The target shown is a mix of 100 rounds of Winchester White Box, Federal 230 ball and a few reloads of my own. The
distance for this target varied from 7.5 yards to 20 yards, using an EOTech without any magnification.
The group measures about 1 and 3/4" total or about 1 and 1/4" worst hits Center to Center. The shooting was done
with the shooting room of the range at about 120 F. That's another story. Shooting was done without a shooting rest
or Vise. just using the shooting table as support. Ron's 45 ACP, Accuracy is Great. I'm a very happy camper....

45MagsandCarbine.jpg

Hi,

You should participate in a weapons-forum man ! Okay, I'm European, so that rifle-thing for personal defense is not really something we're familiar with over here, but hitting bull's-eye with a powerful rifle... is that so hard at 7,5 - 20 yards/meters ?

Cool stuff anyway, but maybe more appropriate in a weapons-forum or something like it ?

GrtZ!

This section of the forum say's ANYTHING GOES not please go to another forum . I am sure that many people have a hobby that others are interested in. Many post on here in the past have helped people getting problems fixed on something that is non V-Max .. Just my .02 cents Later Kurt

Hi,

You should participate in a weapons-forum man ! Okay, I'm European, so that rifle-thing for personal defense is not really something we're familiar with over here, but hitting bull's-eye with a powerful rifle... is that so hard at 7,5 - 20 yards/meters ?

Cool stuff anyway, but maybe more appropriate in a weapons-forum or something like it ?

GrtZ!

Americans have been toying with guns for well over 200 years, small town farm boys shooting cans, Prairie dogs and what ever moved. It worked out well for you guys in Europe, your not speaking German are you?

I see your posting from Amsterdam, smoke another, relax, chill out..This part of the forum is open and all topics are welcome.

Most shooters will realize that holding a few rounds inside the area shown on my target isn't hard to accomplish. To hold 100 rounds in that area, at varied distances and with mixed ammo is an accomplishment.

BTW, I did come from a weapons forum, I'm a writer at ARFCOM (AR15.Com). Presently, I'm working with about 9 manufacturers. Some of the people here seem to be anti gun, which is fine. Others have asked me to do a little writing in the Burn Out Pit. I have no plans of turning the Pit into anything other than what it is. An area where pretty much anything not Max related goes.

If you don't like firearms, you are welcome to ignore me and my threads. I have a lot of other interests besides VMax's and Firearms. I don't mind reading about the subjects other Max owners are into.

The U.S. was never invaded during WW II because the consensus was that every household had multiple firearms and crazy people who would inflict many thousands of casualties on an invading enemy. We might be living in the territory where VMax's were built had that not been true. I don't mean any ill will by saying that.

vmaxride06: All that being said, I have no trouble with anything you wrote. I spent a number of years preserving that freedom for as many people in the world as was possible. I look forward to all that you write about your VMax. That's the main reason we're here at this site.

richwrench: It's the hand grip that people think is ugly. actually, it's the most comfortable and ergonomically correct grip I've found for use on an AR.

Most shooters will realize that holding a few rounds inside the area shown on my target isn't hard to accomplish. To hold 100 rounds in that area, at varied distances and with mixed ammo is an accomplishment.

BTW, I did come from a weapons forum, I'm a writer at ARFCOM (AR15.Com). Presently, I'm working with about 9 manufacturers. Some of the people here seem to be anti gun, which is fine. Others have asked me to do a little writing in the Burn Out Pit. I have no plans of turning the Pit into anything other than what it is. An area where pretty much anything not Max related goes.

If you don't like firearms, you are welcome to ignore me and my threads. I have a lot of other interests besides VMax's and Firearms. I don't mind reading about the subjects other Max owners are into.

The U.S. was never invaded during WW II because the consensus was that every household had multiple firearms and crazy people who would inflict many thousands of casualties on an invading enemy. We might be living in the territory where VMax's were built had that not been true. I don't mean any ill will by saying that.

vmaxride06: All that being said, I have no trouble with anything you wrote. I spent a number of years preserving that freedom for as many people in the world as was possible. I look forward to all that you write about your VMax. That's the main reason we're here at this site.

richwrench: It's the hand grip that people think is ugly. actually, it's the most comfortable and ergonomically correct grip I've found for use on an AR.

Dave,
Post on , thanks for posting and serving.
Not anti-Gun here, been hunting and shooting since I was 12. Shot competition Handgun in the USPSA. Had a couple AR15's with the heavy Barrel. Still have 3 Dillion Progressive re loaders, was shooting 1,000RDs a week.
Its a great hobby and life style.

Back to your original post, Sweet gun, Nice group..

Thanx, Chris (vmaxride06). When I was active in the U.S. Military, shooting a target like that was expected. At my old age I'm happy I can do it once in a while.

There are few cases that I run across a firearm that's so impressive and so easy to be accurate with. I've long wanted to have a 45 ACP Carbine. I never cared much for the long Thompson's. I'd love to have a short model. But then there's so much red tape it takes away from owning it. This XM-177 Style AR-15 is a dream come true.

I've built a number of 45 pistols. The only one that shoots as well as this carbine is a Para Ordinance, Carry 6. It's a no brainer, point and shoot, almost like it reads my mind as to where I want the bullet to go. Now I have a match pair in 45.:biglaugh:

I'll be working with different magazine designs in hope of finding the perfect compromise of function and capacity for my needs. I'd like to get one to the point of holding 10 to 15 rounds. So far the modified PPS-43 Mags are the only game in town. At least with my current set up.

Dave

.45 auto is the way to go for home defense. The round was invented for the officers to combat muslim pirates at close order in the Phil Islands. A sabre in one hand and the 1911 in the other. No matter what mind set an intruder or oppresser is in, drunk, on dope of any kind, or just plain cwazy, one thud from a well placed 230 grain ball and the cat is going to fall down. The 1911 is over 100 yr technology that's still going strong today.

Yeah, some people don't understand or comprehend the importance here for owning a weapon for defense. With our open border policies, gangs, drugs and runners, foreigners who don't care about the average citizen, a literal invasion, thugs, rapists, theives, religious fanatics dressed to kill, general murderers, and certain gov't employees wanting to take away our freedoms, this is some reasons. I believe most of the world would like to have our butts on a platter.

Had a friend in a MP unit that shot competition with the 1911 at 100 yds. He was good. I can hit a bucket that far with a standard 1911. I feel like I'm launching artillery rds. I am around 8-12 inches above the target. It's fun shooting.

I cabbaged on to a Norinco three yrs ago for 275. Great shape. No rattle. They are well made.

Does this AR 45 climb, 13? I had a imitation 1927 once. It was quiet. I think it had Mark IV stamped on it. It had no kick, no rise. That AR with a supressor, full auto, would be massive.

Awesome looking gun, and nice job building it! Approx. how much $$ do you have in it, if you don't mind me asking?? Bob

Anything goes in this section, you're right about it... my appology for that... I think it's probably a culture difference all that weapon stuff, so no historical lecturing about WWII needed guys... otherwise I might feel obliged to tell how America all started for you, probably mostly Caucasian, Americans :hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus (or were you already there when it all happened ?? :biglaugh:)

So no offense intented, no ignoring needed and I'll just get my attention back to vmax-related postings over here ; )

Sorry for the interruption, I won't stray off topic here anymore.

GrtZ!

arjan: We're fine. everyone has a right to an opinion. It's getting rough here in the States but I guess most of the world is already that way..
And, You're right, the United States has not always been in the right handling things.

06VMAXIMUS: I get a discount buying most firearms or parts. I'd say I have about $450.00 in the upper, $300.00 in the lower, $300.00 in the EOTech. The whole thing is pretty tricked out with aftermarket parts. On the cheap, it could be built for less with more traditional parts.

Slacker: It's more of a push straight back and pretty mild at that.

EvilD: No..........:biglaugh: Make Your own copy.

Dave

Anything goes in this section, you're right about it... my appology for that... I think it's probably a culture difference all that weapon stuff, so no historical lecturing about WWII needed guys... otherwise I might feel obliged to tell how America all started for you, probably mostly Caucasian, Americans :hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus (or were you already there when it all happened ?? :biglaugh:)

So no offense intented, no ignoring needed and I'll just get my attention back to vmax-related postings over here ; )

Sorry for the interruption, I won't stray off topic here anymore.

GrtZ!

All good here brother, No issue's man..was having a bad day and the keyboard got the best of me..

Best wishes
Chris

I didn't realize you could customize guns to that extent, like mix and match parts to create a totally unique weapon. Always thought you just bought a gun, and that was that. Maybe change the grips or sights/scope or something....shows how much I've been around guns. How to fire and take apart/clean a 80 year old, bolt action Springfield .22 is the extent of my knowledge.

I guess there's no reason there wouldn't be an aftermarket, and a huge one at that for guns. I bet a lot more people own guns than motorcycles, and imagine all the customization options available for bikes? Guess I just never really thought about it before. Huh. Interesting stuff.

The AR platform is to guns what the Chevelle is to cars. Just a plethora of after market parts available and nearly everything is interchangable.

I really need to get myself one at some point....:th_biggun:

I've built 30+ AR's and modified dozens of others for friends, no 2 are the same. There's thousands of aftermarket parts so you can personalize an AR-15. There are dozens of calibers available too. Even some that could take on the biggest game on the planet. Some of the 45 and 50 cals will disable a pretty large vehicle.

It's as addicting as VMax's...

A lot of my shooting is with the 22 caliber conversions and dedicated uppers that are available. I've saved $30,000 in ammo cost shooting 22's over centerfire in the past 3 years. And, it's an absolute blast to shoot. Some of the groups I've shot are in the "Best Black Rifle Targets Ever". 0.025, 5 shot group 22 LR at 25 yards. to 0.267, 5 shot group at 100 yards.

I've built 30+ AR's and modified dozens of others for friends, no 2 are the same. There's thousands of aftermarket parts so you can personalize an AR-15. There are dozens of calibers available too. Even some that could take on the biggest game on the planet. Some of the 45 and 50 cals will disable a pretty large vehicle.

It's as addicting as VMax's...

A lot of my shooting is with the 22 caliber conversions and dedicated uppers that are available. I've saved $30,000 in ammo cost shooting 22's over centerfire in the past 3 years. And, it's an absolute blast to shoot. Some of the groups I've shot are in the "Best Black Rifle Targets Ever". 0.025, 5 shot group 22 LR at 25 yards. to 0.267, 5 shot group at 100 yards.

To the un-educated, this is roughly a 1/4" group in a target a football field away!!

I don't care who you are.....THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!! :worthy:

.267" @ 100yards = .254 MOA

Very impressive on both the gun building and shooting side. :worthy:

Back