How to add 6K miles without messing up the speedometer.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondante

Reaction score
The title is not an answer but a declaration because I'm just sharing my silly idea about how to get up an speedometer from 10K up to 21K kilometers. I'm in Europe but I have a USA Vmax with miles in the speedo instead. I want to put another speedometer I have from an European Vmax that measure in kilometers, but it's 10K kilometers short from having a close measure to the correct one, thing that I want to have right in my bike.

Our speedometers come closed in a way that you should destroy them in order to fix or modify them, so as I'm plenty of time I just attatched this old, broken fan to it and put it to work. It's going on at 50 km/h, a good pace not to broke it. But it will take just eight days and I can wait by now.

Attachments

• signal-2024-09-19-183131_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-09-19-183131_002.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
During a motorcycle trip with some friends, the speedo drive of my r1150gs, decided that it needs a rest... My odometer stood still for the rest of the trip, resulting in 1000km (600 mile) loss, in my total speedometer reading.
I used an old drill and a piece of an old speedo cable to fix my reading. The drill was capable of running the speedometer with almost 130km/h. The process took almost 8 hours to complete. So, if you have an old drill, you can use it, to sped things up.

I thought about that but my drill is good and I think a drill is not intended for long time running, so as I have like 15 days ahead without using the bike and this old fan taking up space I thought about giving it a try. This setup is quiet and soft, and is not disturbing anyone. Also the sum says that it would need 48 hours if I reach 200 km/h, so nope. Better slowly and quietly I think, also doing it slowly reduces the speedo suffering a lot, should it done along days. I just updated the setup, the fan motor was reaching 110º C. See image attatched. Fans don't tell you but they depend on the wind they produce for their own refrigeration.

During a motorcycle trip with some friends, the speedo drive of my r1150gs, decided that it needs a rest... My odometer stood still for the rest of the trip, resulting in 1000km (600 mile) loss, in my total speedometer reading.
I used an old drill and a piece of an old speedo cable to fix my reading. The drill was capable of running the speedometer with almost 130km/h. The process took almost 8 hours to complete. So, if you have an old drill, you can use it, to sped things up.

Attachments

• signal-2024-09-19-214212_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-09-19-214212_002.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 0
Back