arching to cylinder head repairs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
Whilst servicing my bike I noticed my rough Idle when hot may be due to one of my front ht plugs arching. It seems to be arching straight through the side of the rubber plug/cap.

Is there a cheap and easy solution to this? If I buy new cable can I use the existing plugs/caps and screw fastners etc? or is this where the problem lies? I've got new spark plugs but not fitted them yet. Could they be part of the problem?

Any advice would be great as I'm cr*p and solving problems like these!

Thanks

Whilst servicing my bike I noticed my rough Idle when hot may be due to one of my front ht plugs arching. It seems to be arching straight through the side of the rubber plug/cap.

Is there a cheap and easy solution to this? If I buy new cable can I use the existing plugs/caps and screw fastners etc? or is this where the problem lies? I've got new spark plugs but not fitted them yet. Could they be part of the problem?

Any advice would be great as I'm cr*p and solving problems like these!

Thanks
From what we have so far, I'd check the wires out. If boots are shredded get rid of them.Do look the plugs over. Look at the cops conversion kits too. You won't be sorry. The cops conversion is something I'd prolly do to a different Gen 1 if I ever bought another.
Steve

How do I tell if the boots are knackered? Whats a cops conversion, what are the benefits and last but certainly not least how much are they?! Thanks

How do I tell if the boots are knackered? Whats a cops conversion, what are the benefits and last but certainly not least how much are they?! Thanks

At night (dark), motor running, spray water at the wires/boots - if you get a light show, than they are bad and need to be changed.

The other way is to grab ahold of boot/cap when bike if running, if you get shocked, they're no more good.

Mike

I did a COP's conversion on my bike and I love it, I did have a couple arcing against the head though so I simply wrapped the part of the coil that was arcing with a layer of black electrical tape and never had another issue.

The COPS conversion was the single best modification I've done to my '85 since I bought it in 1985! Look on Fleabay for the coil sticks, get a set of harnesses for some inline 4 cylinder bike, modify them to interface with the VMax wiring, and plug them in. Cost me less than $50.00, and took a couple hours to do. Worth every penny and minute!

Just an update. Changed my leads, plugs and boots today. Bike now runs like a dream compared to before. It's solved my rough idle and stopped it from cutting out when hot. Best ?40 I've spent so far.

I replaced mine with NGK plugs and boots with new wires as well good improovement but definitely look into the cops conversion. By the way when you are doing all of this take a little extra time and check the coils. When I did my tune up on my '85 I found that there was a build up on the posts that the wires connect to in the coils. Once I cleaned the posts and installed the new wires and plugs/boots I had no more issues with miss fires at all.

Back