Before and After ($1000)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Before and After $1000

Well, while nowhere near the caliber, detail and style of some of you guys and your rides here, I thought I'd put out a quick comparison on my '94 after getting the bike for a REALLY good price with a number of tasteful mods already performed. This notion is really aimed at those, like me, who want a nice ride, but don't have the long cash available. Solution? We all know - old Vmax! Where else do you get the style, power AND mystique for as little cash?

Very briefly (since I don't know how this'll be received), I obtained a decent '94 with 19k miles, Kerker 4-2-1, factory case guards, drag bars, LED signals and taillight and K&N.

On modding, it's easy to get carried away and end up with a nightmare. There's a real knack for going that far and doing it with true style. Lot's of you here have that knack. I don't - and didn't want mine to end up looking like it had parts thrown at it with no goal in mind.

Since the bike runs like a raped ape crossed with a scalded dog I haven't touched the motor - except for fresh fluids radiator to diff. There's a very, very slight off-idle bog, but not enough for me to bother with for now.

So, I very quickly added, Sportmax seat, Holeshot frame braces, Progressive 412's (11.5" for a nice stance) and front springs, T-Boost (switch on a custom, discrete bracket under the front left scoop - so no "hacking or drilling" was needed), Gen-Mar riser and a fan thermostat override switch (essential in Phoenix on identical, discrete bracket under opposite scoop).

I believe it's done, but I know many of you would go MUCH further. For me, I really appreciate the 1.5" lowered stance coupled with the Sportmax. Just right (I'm 5'10"). You can really compare the difference by checking out the relative height of the rear brake caliper. This bike is also a handler. With four new corners, a verification of good head bearing condition and the frame braces, there is No shimmy, No shake that I've yet felt - and I'm no Freddie Spencer, but I do ride. Still, I'd like to present a view of what just under a grand did for a '94 - which I really did get a smoking deal on...

Attachments

• Mad_Max.jpg
    Mad_Max.jpg
    82.8 KB
  • Taz_Max.jpg
    Taz_Max.jpg
    142.9 KB
Well, while nowhere near the caliber, detail and style of some of you guys and your rides here, I thought I'd put a quick comparison on my '94 after getting the bike for a REALLY good price with a number of tasteful mods already performed. This notion is really aimed at those, like me, who want a nice ride, but don't have the long cash available. Solution? We all know - old Vmax! Where else do you get the style, power AND mystique for as little cash?

Very briefly (since I don't know how this'll be received), I obtained a decent '94 with 19k miles, factory case guards, drag bars, LED signals and taillight and K&N.

On modding, it's easy to get carried away and end up with a nightmare. There's a real knack for going that far and doing it with true style. Lot's of you here have that knack. I don't - and didn't want mine to end up looking like it had parts thrown at it with no goal in mind.

Since the bike runs like a raped ape crossed with a scalded dog I haven't touched the motor - except for fresh fluids radiator to diff. There's a very, very slight off-idle bog, but not enough for me to bother with for now.

So, I very quickly added, Sportmax seat, Holeshot frame braces, Progressive 412's (11.5" for a nice stance) and front springs, T-Boost (switch tastefully on a custom, discrete bracket under the front left scoop), Gen-Mar riser and a fan thermostat override switch (essential in Phoenix).

I believe it's done, but I know many of you would go MUCH further. For me, I really appreciate the 1.5" lowered stance coupled with the Sportmax. Just right (I'm 5'10"). You can really compare the difference by checking out the relative height of the rear brake caliper. This bike is also a handler. With four new corners, a verification of good head bearing condition and the frame braces, there is No shimmy, No shake that I've yet felt - and I'm no Freddie Spencer, but I do ride. Still, I'd like to present a view of what just under a grand did for a '94 - which I really did get a smoking deal on...

Its your bike you dont need approval as long as you enjoy it:punk:

Looks good! Proof that you don't need a ton of money to have a sick ride. Going to do something about the baby Taz thing on the airbox cover? While I like Taz.....it's a little "kiddy" and seems kind of out of place.

The off-idle bog may be a simple carb sync job. Out-of-sync carbs can cause all sorts of issues, from nuisance bogging or hesitation at virtually any speed, to flat out not starting. If it runs good otherwise, I'd consider doing a sync. It's super easy and only takes a few minutes, you just have to find a manometer somewhere. They are rather pricey to buy, but I think somebody here has one floating around in the mail to various users.

RW - thanks for the feedback.

For the record, Baby Taz is gone - off to PATMAX. My factory yellow skin is back in place. I ran Taz for Bike Week and then decided I wasn't going to try the suede look after all (which had been my plan for that set).

Looks good man! We'll have to hookup for a ride sometime. I'm hoping to plan a ride with a few of us from the PHX area soon. I know of about 3 other Vmaxers around the area that would be down for a ride as well.

Looks good man! We'll have to hookup for a ride sometime. I'm hoping to plan a ride with a few of us from the PHX area soon. I know of about 3 other Vmaxers around the area that would be down for a ride as well.

Say the word. (Bartlett? Payson?)

Arizona is a decent place to ride, but Valley Summer is a bitch. To me, every bit as dreaded as a Northern Winter - and I rode in Massachusetts for a decade.

very nice man.

can you put some pics of your switches and brackets?

can you put some pics of your switches and brackets?

You had to ask.

Here's the T-Boost switch. Fan override looks identical, just on the other side.

But the photo also shows a "dirty" little secret. (Some badly needed detailing). Yikes, I hate flash photography.

Attachments

• DSCF1944.jpg
    DSCF1944.jpg
    106.3 KB
You had to ask.

Here's the T-Boost switch. Fan override looks identical, just on the other side.

But the photo also shows a "dirty" little secret. (Some badly needed detailing). Yikes, I hate flash photography.

very nice, gonna need a kill switch added soon.

I'm really thinking about painting my bike that same color.

Yellow is a nice color for a bike in and of itself, but the factory '94 Yellow is a very nice Pearl. If I re-do this one, it'll have to be pearl.

I sold a very nice '66 El Camino recently that was a sweet pearl white. Pearl makes for a very deep, rich tone - even white. (Wish I'd kept that one).

Last edited:
I really like them - both cosmetically and functionally. They're very well finished in a nice black powder coat. Matches the frame perfectly. I feel that they add a real custom touch and are subtle, yet visible from any angle.

Oh yeah, and they firm up the frame too.

:punk: Hey, put a Comp. baffle in that kerker and you will pick up about 10 RWHP. Sounds nice too. Later, Spur

SWEET RIDE.
Im jealous, my '94 isnt gonna be a full bike again for awhile.
Its great that you made it your bike with little cash flow, having the exhaust on there already helps alot to.
Im building/rebuilding my now gonna be '95/'94 Max. I totaled my '95red in a bad 100+ low side:stickyman:. BUT, I have the '94yellow to scavenge from. In sort, Im trying to get back on the road for under a grand.

Cheers to you my friend of the SouthWest :cheers: :thumbs up:

And P.S.
We need to get a SouthWest group RIDE together someday.:punk:

Nice bike buddy and for the price you can't beat it. I hope when I get back to the states we can get a ride together. I normally live in Yuma, Az. Phoenix or San Diego would be great.

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks. And I wasn't trying to be secretive - even though I did withhold my purchase price.

Let's just say that I've got a total of $3600 into the bike as it sits.

I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out and truly appreciate the nods - as well as the hookup offers. It would be great to get a bunch of the VMaxForum folks together.

But, FREERIDER scares the schitt out of me. I've seen his video. He should change his tank logo from "Don't Let Up" to "No Fear". Although an overused phrase, it's a better fit! Instead of a 100MPH low side, I once rode off the high side on a Kawi 750 turbo. Ended up in a Texas swamp. Not fun - and not totally my fault, but I'd prefer not to repeat it.

Heal quick, FREE...

Latest posts

Back