best paint stripper?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
I'd like to polish my scoops up but first I need to remove the black paint. Tried a product called "Strypeze" (a paint on gel) but all it did was loosen some of the clearcoat. Need something more powerful but safe for aluminum. Suggestions?

IMO the best way is bed blast with glass balls.

Using the chemical remover and brush it is also good way but most defo
you will be more happy with blasting.
But blasting is more costly.

I've actually got a blasting cabinet, but my compressor is small and blasting takes a while. I thought I'd strip them first and then bead blast. Where can I get some aircraft stripper?

I've actually got a blasting cabinet, but my compressor is small and blasting takes a while. I thought I'd strip them first and then bead blast. Where can I get some aircraft stripper?
I have also small compressor(went bad recently) and DIY cabinet.

Im using minced glass and it works very good. For example i can remove
powder coating form crank case cover very easly.

Then im using glass balls to make surface smoth.

You may also use sand but very gently.

Here is how I did my car rims:

Rimpainting008.jpg
Rimpainting014.jpg

Rimpainting008.jpg

Rimpainting014.jpg
Rimpainting007.jpg

Worked excellent on aluminum.

Brian

For my scoops, I used Jasco stripper and it worked fine for me,
I got it at lowe`s for $9.00 a can and that stuff ate right through it but didn`t damage the alum. at all.
The only thing is, is that once you polish them , depending on the weather you have to keep them polished but after I polish them I give them a good coat of maguires # 26 yellow wax and that keeps them shiny for a good while.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Air craft paint remover,you can get it at auto parts stores.Dont get it on your skin...after that the paint falls right off but a wire brush will make it too damn easy.Have fun,post results when your done please.

WTF??? Got some spray on aircraft remover from AutoZone, covered both scoops, and left them overnight - didn't do shit! I scraped with a plastic scraper this morning and got a LITTLE of the surface stuff off, but they're still black! They were in the garage where it's pretty chilly at night - does it need to be warmer to work? Looks like I'm gonna blast em anyway. Thanks for the tips, and I'll post pics when I'm done. Hey does anyone know if you can still get those sticker inserts for the lettering in different colors? I saw something about it in a different post...

Are you sure they weren't powder coated? PC tends to be MUCH more resistant to the strippers.

You may want to bead blast them.

I'll bet they're powder coated. Even the shitty spray can stripper from AZ should take paint off. The stripper that Advance Auto sells made by Mar-Hyde is some pretty good shit, but kinda expensive. Don't buy the spray cans though for powder coat.

OK I'd edit this post if I could, but what's the best stripper for powder coating? Still haven't tried blasting em, but I'd strip them first if I had a product I thought would work

The Mar-Hyde Aircraft stripper works good, but just don't buy the spray cans. They sell it in quarts and gallons. You can brush it on, but best to keep the finish wet with stripper.

I have found that if you leave the aircraft remover on too long, the pain will harden again. Spray it and let it set for 5 to 10 minutes and it should come right off. As previously mentioned, the warmer it is, the better it seems to work. You can also get some hot water while you are scraping it off to help clean things up a bit. Hot water and Aircraft remover ='s stingy fingers and hands.

I'm not sure how good this works on PC parts, but I can't remember this stuff not working,for me anyway.

Good luck,

Jeff

Latest posts

Back