carb diaphragms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
So spoke to my mechnic friend today and another reason my max was not running good is my diaphragms were shot. Seems odd with an 03 and 7000 miles. Either way it sucks, retail at 125 each * 4 carbs!!!
Glad I know him and getting em half that but still sucks!!! get it back tomorrow after $900 of work gone it to it.

cannot wait tho, tune up, carbs re built synced etc etc. should be riding awesome!!!

well like I said I get all parts at cost and labor at about 40 so (half) cannot beat that.
it is a lot and not totally sure what they did but one of my closest friends runs the whole place and seen as they are not making money I know they did not do anything that didn't need to be done

I've asked about this a few times and nobody seems to know an answer=====

Is there a product that could be appllied to the diaphrams to extend thier life????

Even at $45 a peace it's way to expensive for a little piece of thin rubber and some plastic die casting.:protest:

Lew

Adams VRT is AWESOME at protecting rubber. Just keep anything with silicon off of them. IE: Armor All and the such.

Adams VRT has an SPF of like 60 too so it's great on products that see the sun as well. IE: tires and seats and trim.

If I spent 900 bucks on carb work I would know when they took a piss when they worked on it... lol I'm not a cheap person but dayumn...

lot more to it than that but ill let you know when I get it back what I had done exactly.

I know the tank came off and treated and I am sure a lot of other things were done like rubber clamps replaced or something. I know you all think I am getting had but I can assure you this is not the case. One of my closest friends is over seeing it all and actually put the bike in under his name. Nothing is getting done that doesn't need it.

I have yet to use/see an aftermarket carb part that works worth a shit. maybe the slides would be OK but I still recommend the overpriced Yamaha units.

Sean

I wonder if would be cheaper to do ot yourself.
I know the Yami repair shop guys told me that if I gutted the carbs that they would dip them for just a few bucks so, after the cleaning, all they need is to be re assembled and synched.
Mark has an exelent thread on how to rebuild them too.iI just think that it would be cheaper to buy 4 rebuild kits and 1 diaphram slide and do it your self that way you know whats going on :confused2: just my 2 cents worth.
<<Dave>>

I am sure it would be a hell of a lot cheaper but I have 2 friends who build bikes and one the GM at yamaha who both told me they would not be confident messing with Vmax carbs.

I have fought the carb diaphragm battle on the XS11 and lost. Do a search on XS11.com and you will see others have also tried the repair. Even if you only cover the pinholes on the air side (facing the carb caps), you'll at best have only mixed results.

I've tried plasti-dip before with mixed results.

Latest posts

Back