Cleaning bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that any non-sealed bearing, such as the ones on the ends of the transmission shafts, would be safe to immerse in mineral spirits? I can only assume that since they're not packed with grease, and are constantly being flooded with the engine oil, that a quick dip in the mineral spirits wouldn't hurt anything... right?

Just trying to get everything cleaned off enough to inspect it all before it goes back together.

I see no problem with it. But I'm not a chemist or metallurgist either.

use a solvent it will be ok. just make sure they are dry of solvent then re oil and re use if they are good!

Yes, I clean them good and then blow them out with compressed air. (wear your safety glasses!) Inspect them for wear or discoloration and replace if necessary, and then re-oil upon reassembly with clean oil.

Note: When blowing them out with air resist the temptation to see how fast you can get them to spin. They will and do occasionally blow up and send shrapnel everywhere (including your hands).

Sean

Note: When blowing them out with air resist the temptation to see how fast you can get them to spin. They will and do occasionally blow up and send shrapnel everywhere (including your hands).

Sean

I never had seen how fast they would go, But I have been known to let them zip zip zip a bit. But never ever let them just go all out.

Gannon

I knew some guys in the Navy that would do that with a 1" nut on the end of a screwdriver. Once the nut was up to max speed, they would tip the screwdriver down and sent it shooting across the floor. Damn thing would bounce around the engine room like a ricocheting bullet. I am surprised nobody got hurt doing that.

Do not use forced air to spin a dry bearing even for a little bit.

Latest posts

Back