Complaining about carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When all of you are complaining about having to do carb work on a Max just look at these & go back thank your Max about how easy it is to work on. Yall are lucky you dont have to take the exaust off & the chain & one side of the handle bars loosen the fairing so you can get to the top motor mount bolts,take loose the clutch cable & roll the whole engine forward then have 6 of them to deal with & have fun getting them all seated back properly in there boots. Any one want to trade carb jobs today ? LOL

Attachments

• cbx carbs 002.jpg
    cbx carbs 002.jpg
    98.6 KB
  • cbx carbs 003.jpg
    cbx carbs 003.jpg
    73.7 KB
  • cbx carbs 004.jpg
    cbx carbs 004.jpg
    70.2 KB
  • cbx carbs 005.jpg
    cbx carbs 005.jpg
    71.9 KB
  • cbx carbs 006.jpg
    cbx carbs 006.jpg
    75 KB
  • cbx carbs 007.jpg
    cbx carbs 007.jpg
    87.1 KB
Nice.

There are some bikes in this planet that seems to be made only for people, with
thier nervs made from steel.

You should try a complete ducati engine disasseble, an desmo engine.
For sure You will need at least 2 extra tables for parts from it :rofl_200:

Kyle,

Damn, I could have come up for moral support. That job really suck'd.

Dave

Post up a pic of your 6 port manometer you'll need to sync those bad boys. :rofl_200:
Yeah I still need to make one of them or buy an extra set of gauges. I just got the carbs back on & the motor bolted back in place now its time to go fight with the exaust an extra set of hands would be nice for it but I will get it done.

Worst set for me is my Seca Turbo set. They have to be prybar'd off and are blow through so even trickier to get set right.

Kyle,

Damn, I could have come up for moral support. That job really suck'd.

Dave
Yeah it sucks ! I like the bike but doing the carbs sucks. I took them off monday afternoon & had a broken part so I used yesterday as an excuse to ride the CBX parts god lives in Dunellon so I made the 90 mile ride out there instead of waiting on it in the mail & on the way back took a couple detours so ended up riding 220 miles yesterday. It sure was a good day for it. I just wish CBX parts were as cheap as Max parts.

Worst set for me is my Seca Turbo set. They have to be prybar'd off and are blow through so even trickier to get set right.
You pretty much have to pry these off & putting them back on I wrap a ratchet strap around each side of the motor & suck them back into place. I dont think you would ever get them back on with out the ratchet straps.

Nice.

There are some bikes in this planet that seems to be made only for people, with
thier nervs made from steel.

You should try a complete ducati engine disasseble, an desmo engine.
For sure You will need at least 2 extra tables for parts from it :rofl_200:
I dont have any experiance with the Ducati Motor. I studied up on the Desmo system some & it looks like a pain in the ass.

The Honda V65 carbs were no picnic either. A 90 degree V4, but the carbs were all in a row and shoved in between the "V" of the motor. A rack with two facing one way and two facing the other.

The easiest way to get them out on the V4 honda forum was akin to the "which oil should I use" thread here. There were dozens of techniques, methods, and special tools people had come up with. Either way, you had to take like half the bike apart to get them loose so you could slide the rack out the left side of the motor. Then getting them back in the boots.....good luck

Max carbs are a breeze compared to a lot of other bikes. Tuning and jetting is still a mystical art, but at least access isn't that hard. Can you imagine doing jetting trial and error on that rack of six, doing that every single time to remove and re-install them?

I dont have any experiance with the Ducati Motor. I studied up on the Desmo system some & it looks like a pain in the ass.

Bealive me, thats the last thing You want to deal in motorcycles.

Overall its a beautiful technology and for sure nice thing to watch and ride but,
pain during engine assembly/diassembly.

When all of you are complaining about having to do carb work on a Max just look at these & go back thank your Max about how easy it is to work on. Yall are lucky you dont have to take the exaust off & the chain & one side of the handle bars loosen the fairing so you can get to the top motor mount bolts,take loose the clutch cable & roll the whole engine forward then have 6 of them to deal with & have fun getting them all seated back properly in there boots. Any one want to trade carb jobs today ? LOL

So, are we talking carb chains here? :biglaugh:

The Honda V65 carbs were no picnic either. A 90 degree V4, but the carbs were all in a row and shoved in between the "V" of the motor. A rack with two facing one way and two facing the other.

The easiest way to get them out on the V4 honda forum was akin to the "which oil should I use" thread here. There were dozens of techniques, methods, and special tools people had come up with. Either way, you had to take like half the bike apart to get them loose so you could slide the rack out the left side of the motor. Then getting them back in the boots.....good luck

Max carbs are a breeze compared to a lot of other bikes. Tuning and jetting is still a mystical art, but at least access isn't that hard. Can you imagine doing jetting trial and error on that rack of six, doing that every single time to remove and re-install them?
I have had my hands on V 65's before your right there not much fun & the 750 magna is set up close to that to.

I had an 80 CBX back in the early 80's. Didn't have the fairing the 81 and 82 had. Adjusting the valves was a pain also as having a stock of shims for a 24 valve engine was expensive not counting the time involved. Think I still have the valve adj tools for the CBX. For the carbs, I used the standard 4 tube mercury sync tool. The carbs were set in two stages and wasn't that difficult (at least in my memory :biglaugh:). Wish I still had that bike....

yep magna carbs were pretty bad. theyre tucked in their realllllly good.

Kyle - I'm hunting tomorrow through Saturday, but I'll be home Sunday if you still need an extra hand with the exhaust. I'm only 8 or 10 miles away - let me know...

Kyle - I'm hunting tomorrow through Saturday, but I'll be home Sunday if you still need an extra hand with the exhaust. I'm only 8 or 10 miles away - let me know...
Thanks for the offer ! I got them back on yesterday when your working by your self you just have to figure out ways sometimes. I just have to run out & get a master link today since I forgot it the other day & then I need to sync the carbs just gonna jump back & forth with my 4 gauges. I dont think it willbe to bad.

Latest posts

Back