covers - help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Ok I need a heavy duty cover. Bike is being kept outside as I now have no garage (been outside a couple weeks with a crappy cover that does not repel water)

Anyway I am looking at a dowco or a nelson or anything else you guys think. I am also struggling a little with the sizing charts. People saying they do not fit what they say etc.

I will spend upto $100 or so or more if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations (style and sizes - I took off the windshield but I do have the sissy bar)

Thanks!!!

In my experience most covers will go wrong over time, it's just a matter of how long.

As a result, I reckon it's best to buy a cheaper one, and then replace it often, a bit like oil.

That way you keep all its best qualities tip top - waterproof, rip-free, crease-free, sunproof etc..

Whatever you do go with, let me know as I'm in the market for another one too!

I need a more heavy duty one than that though.
Also I read up a little and water repellent does not mean water resistant

OK here it is. I only have string holding for the moment, till I get the cover done. But it works great.
For $42 bucks I have the frame done.
All I need is to do the anchor plate and figure out what kind of cover to have made or make for it.
Going to work on finding some place to have the cover made for it this week. Or I might just buy the materials and do it myself.
Probably not as sturdy as a metal frame one. But it'll do the trick at half the cost.

Attachments

• Bike barn project1.jpg
    Bike barn project1.jpg
    463 KB
  • Bike barn project2.jpg
    Bike barn project2.jpg
    485.2 KB
  • Bike barn project3.jpg
    Bike barn project3.jpg
    495.1 KB
  • Bike barn project4.jpg
    Bike barn project4.jpg
    457 KB
  • Bike barn project5.jpg
    Bike barn project5.jpg
    497.2 KB
  • Bike barn project6.jpg
    Bike barn project6.jpg
    487.2 KB
OK here it is. I only have string holding for the moment, till I get the cover done. But it works great.
For $42 bucks I have the frame done.
All I need is to do the anchor plate and figure out what kind of cover to have made or make for it.
Going to work on finding some place to have the cover made for it this week. Or I might just buy the materials and do it myself.
Probably not as sturdy as a metal frame one. But it'll do the trick at half the cost.

That's a hell of an idea 82nd, should work like a champ!! :clapping:

D'ya think a waterproof, breatheable tarp and a grommet maker would do the trick for a cover?

D'ya think a waterproof, breatheable tarp and a grommet maker would do the trick for a cover?

+1, you got a great head start Robert. Keep up the good work :clapping:

That's exactly what I was thinking.
First I'll try a couple of custom tarp shops and see what they will charge.
I figure if I can get one made for no more than $150. I'm still half of what buying the Bike Barn cost.
If it's more than that, Then I'll just buy the materials and do it myself. A grommet kit at ace was only like 20 bucks.
I still gotta shop around for the canvas or tarp.
I'm thinking a used boat cover would be a good find.
Cept I'm a little picky on what the color is. I'm wanting something that matches the yard and not some blue or silver construction tarp.

I figure if I can get one made for no more than $150. I'm still half of what buying the Bike Barn cost.
If it's more than that, Then I'll just buy the materials and do it myself. A grommet kit at ace was only like 20 bucks.
Cept I'm a little picky on what the color is. I'm wanting something that matches the yard and not some blue or silver construction tarp.

Ha!! Great minds, and all that!! :biglaugh:

if u get something doable u could probably mark it up 50% above costs, and sell kits.

Latest posts

Back