Cratered 1997 V-Max!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Today (Saturday) six of us were riding from Dallas to Ft Worth, two on our Maxes. Two of us with Maxes were not on them as they are in various stages of upgrades/repairs. One of my friends turned 40K miles on his Max on the way. We were cruising about 65 - 70 when I saw his bike suddenly start blowing a bunch of white smoke out of the right side muffler. (Has a new Dale Walker 4 into 2 system). He did not see it and didn't slow down. We got him to pull over and it died just as he came to a stop. It wouldn't even turn over after that. Just a click from the solenoid when the starter button was pushed. We sat on the highway center median over two and one half hours waiting for a pickup truck. While waiting one of the guys went for beer. We are in the center of a busy highway drinking beer and not one cop showed up. We were expecting some hassle but nothing happened. We loaded the Max on the pickup and took it to my friends house. The front right spark plug was destroyed. Obviously something came loose in that cylinder. We are thinking valve but don't know for sure. The engine is locked up and he won't have a chance to fix it for a couple weeks as he is going out of town. He is not a happy camper right now as he just emptied his savings account to pay taxes.

This bike has not been abused in any way and he bought it new. Any ideas what happened?

well then ill staying away from the dale walker pipes then :ummm:

Today (Saturday) six of us were riding from Dallas to Ft Worth, two on our Maxes. Two of us with Maxes were not on them as they are in various stages of upgrades/repairs. One of my friends turned 40K miles on his Max on the way. We were cruising about 65 - 70 when I saw his bike suddenly start blowing a bunch of white smoke out of the right side muffler. (Has a new Dale Walker 4 into 2 system). He did not see it and didn't slow down. We got him to pull over and it died just as he came to a stop. It wouldn't even turn over after that. Just a click from the solenoid when the starter button was pushed. We sat on the highway center median over two and one half hours waiting for a pickup truck. While waiting one of the guys went for beer. We are in the center of a busy highway drinking beer and not one cop showed up. We were expecting some hassle but nothing happened. We loaded the Max on the pickup and took it to my friends house. The front right spark plug was destroyed. Obviously something came loose in that cylinder. We are thinking valve but don't know for sure. The engine is locked up and he won't have a chance to fix it for a couple weeks as he is going out of town. He is not a happy camper right now as he just emptied his savings account to pay taxes.

This bike has not been abused in any way and he bought it new. Any ideas what happened?

Im interested in your laws, i have heard in Texas it is legal to drink in public, meaning outside of bars, walking down sidewalks etc. it is illegal here in MN to walk down the sidewalk, sit in parking lots and so on with alchohol. and isnt legal to have an open bottle while driving in Texs??

may have droppped a valve. Either way sounds like he needs a rebuild or another engine.

Sean

Cannot have an open container in your vehicle. Could probably get a ticket for public consumption also. Especially since we had from four to six bikes parked on the center shoulder. (Two left to get the pickup). Just didn't think we could be in the center median for over two hours and not get some attention from the police, beer or not...

We suspected a dropped valve also. It will probably be a very expensive fix!!

White smoke ya said sounds like head gasket
Spark plug destroyed I am not sure what you mean as in destroyed as in melted or electrode bent up cracked etc
I find it hard to believe he didnt hear it before it slapped the piston
Almost sounds like a bad head gasket throwing water in the cyln hydro locked it possibly melting the plug
If it was blue smoke be all a different story I would pull the valve cover on the cyl with the bad plug and investigate from there
If you engine parts pistons heads I have 2 sets from a 98 and 03 motor here in TN

The top spark plug electrode was smashed against the inside electrode, the outside plug edge badly dinged, the porcelin shattered and the inside electrode bent where the top electrode was smashed against it. There was no visible external damage or leaks of coolant or oil. I kind of thought head gasket at first but the oil was clean (just changed) and at the top mark. Also the smoke smelled like oil as I was driving thru it. There was no evidence of coolant in the cylinder when I removed the plug. My friend is hard of hearing as we all are and was wearing ear plugs. (All aged late fifties and up and been riding since the fifties or sixties. Long before anyone thought of ear plugs!). He did say he thought he heard something like a flapping as he was coming to a stop.

He doesn't do his own work so will have a local independent guy fix it. This guy worked as a lead mechanic for Yamaha for years and opened his own shop when the dealership he worked at was sold and the new owners policies were what he considered unscrupulous.

I agree Your better off buying a used engine from a slavage Yard
I bought one out of Beumont TX about 4 yrs ago They are pretty good to deal with
I havent had much luck with replacing the crank and bearings on a VMAX engine
Sounds as you have mechanical component faliure cracked piston wrist pin or connecting rod let loose

If it makes you feel any better I am on my 4th VMAX engine

well then ill staying away from the dale walker pipes then :ummm:

I VERY HIGHLY doubt that his system had anything to do with it.

40,000 miles is 40,000 miles. Who knows??

Some people here have gotten well over 100,000 out of a stock motor.

Chris

I wasn't implying the pipes had anything to do with the problem. Just mentioned it to show what side the problem was on and that he just put big bucks into the bike. The pipes have a nice coating on them, almost a semi-chrome look.

Will let everyone know what happened when he gets back next month and has a chance to get it checked out.

I wasn't implying the pipes had anything to do with the problem. Just mentioned it to show what side the problem was on and that he just put big bucks into the bike. The pipes have a nice coating on them, almost a semi-chrome look.

Will let everyone know what happened when he gets back next month and has a chance to get it checked out.

I didn't quote you M8! :confused2: They're ceramic coated unless BRAND NEW and then there stainless.

I think he said they were "Jet Hot" coated. Does that sound right? Is that the ceramic coating you are talking about? He has had them for several months but took a while to install them. He said it was a real pain as most of the bolts into the headers were frozen and broke off when attempting to remove. Then had to do the ease out and/or re-tap or heli-coil routine. That was with an overnight soaking with liquid wrench.

I VERY HIGHLY doubt that his system had anything to do with it.

40,000 miles is 40,000 miles. Who knows??

Some people here have gotten well over 100,000 out of a stock motor.

Chris
:rofl_200: biggest fish i caught to date ..Highly doubt it also

Darn! I'm at 39,499 today. Better ice down some beer:)
Please let us know what he finds.

Joe

Haha you and me both! I rolled over 32K today on my way home from work. I plan on breaking 40K this summer. Better start lookin' for a motor..... Haha riiiiiiiight.

I bought my 91 with 10K on it. Was on my fourth rebuild by 20K. A friend bought his with 187 miles on it and needed a rebuild. Next rebuild by 1000 which made it to around 10k on that third engine. I think he is on the fourth motor now which is his original that he rebuilt.

Sean Morley

For Sean Morley,

My friend is just now getting around to doing something about his cratered Max. Pretty sure it dropped a valve. I told him about you and that I think you live in Wichita, Kansas. Is that correct? He is considering trailering the bike from Dallas to you for an engine swap. What method should he use to get in touch with you? His name is Jim.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back