De-winterizing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reprice

Reaction score
Can someone help me pls. I pulled the bike out the other day and had the fuel stabilizier in it, drained the float bowls and had the battery charging over the winter - normal stuff and usually it would catch on the second try after the long winter. This year can't get her to catch. It cranks strong and you can smell that fuel is getting to the engine but at best it makes a bit of burble through the exhausr after cranking a little longer than I normally would. I pulled the plugs and wiped them off and let it sit in case I flooded it but same result. A neighbour thought it might be flash rust so bump started around the street to see if it freed anything loose. I don;t think the pistons have rust seized though as when I pulle dhte plugs I turned it over a few times to see if releasing that pressure might have helped. Everything seems in good shape - any ideas anybody??

Did you check to see if you have spark from your plugs?
Could you have over-done it with the stable and now your gas is weak?
Do you remove the battery for the winter? If so make sure your wires are tight in the coils after battery install.
Did you say you tried to push start and pop the clutch?

Yes all the cables are tight and I did try bump starting to see if that helped break anything free. It's possible I might have put too much Stabil in the tank. I don't know how to test the plugs, all ran fine just a few months ago with never a problem or hesitation.

Yes all the cables are tight and I did try bump starting to see if that helped break anything free. It's possible I might have put too much Stabil in the tank. I don't know how to test the plugs, all ran fine just a few months ago with never a problem or hesitation.
Pull a plug, connect back into the plug wire and lay it on the motor with the end of the plug CLOSE to metal, turn the motor over and look for a blue spark jumping from the plug end to the metal to see if you have spark ( don't hold the wire while doing this or you will get poked )

I would siphon old gas out of tank and refil with fresh gas. Then open all carb drain screws , turn the ignition on and let the old gas purge out of the system thru carbs. You mentioned cycl wall rust being one of your concerns, pull all the plugs and get a couple of table spoons of oil down the spark plug holes, let it set for a couple of minutes and then spin the engine over to blow the oil out of the combustion chambers (gonna be messy) then install a new set of plugs, have the battery fully charged and maybe even have jumper cables hooked to another 12 volt source while trying to crank the engine. If you have enough compression , adequate spark, plus fuel to the cylinders it should fire up.

HMMM - all old gas syphoned out and refilled with fresh. Changed all the plugs now too and same results. What's the next step?

Stick a finger into the plug cap and turn the bike over to check for spark.

Stick a finger into the plug cap and turn the bike over to check for spark.

When I was yong I worked at Napa. We were told to not just sell parts but try to make sure we sold the right part. Second day there I am still not a know-nothing gofer and I'm working with this old crusty one armed veteran. These two guys come wonderig in muttering to each other. After a few the vet asks if he can help them. As the walked up you could smell this reek coming off them and even at 17 I couldn't miss there glassy eye. The bald one jerks a finger at the one with a white boy afro hairdo and say, 'He needs a coil for his 88 delta.'.
'OK,' says the vet smoothly looking it up 'what's what's happening with it?'

Hairdo, stuttering,'sooome ti times it fires, some times it don don don't.'
Vet,'How did you find that out?'
Baldy, 'well, we pulled a spark plug and he holds it while I hit the key, sometimes he goes ACK ACK ACK and sometimes he don't do nottin'

We sold them a coil.

Hope you method is as enjoyable.

Hi - no it's not ruinning but I have verified it's getting a spark. So I am out of ideas - needs fuel, ignition and compression. it's turning over, I can smeel that the fuel is getting through and have now verified the plugs are sparking so.........?????????

Did you try reply #4 ? Siphon out the gas, you can get a ball/hose siphon at the auto parts store for a couple bucks. Put in fresh gas, drain the bowls and try again. If your wires are in tight at the coils I'm thinking fuel.... I over did it with Sea foam gas additive once and the same thing happened to me.

Yes took all the gas out including draining the bowls and not even an improvement.

You took out all the gas, drained the fuel bowls, checked for spark... the only thing left on the fuel delivery system is the filter...change it....this new gas turns to jelly and gums the filter up quick.

Same thing happened to me last year, pulled my hair out for days before the cheapest, easiest thing occured to me, new filter and she fired right up.

Hi -got it running and now I will share my stupidity as it may help someone else and you guys have been very helpful and patient with me. I'm embarrassed to say a very stupid thing that I forgot about. I had covered the air intake with a plastic bag in the Fall as I had just washed and re olied my K&N and I wanted to keep dust and spiders out. I forgot it was there and so I was suffocating the engine. I found it when I removed the cover to shoot some quick start in there.

Thnks for all your help
Rob

Latest posts

Back