Deciding which rear shocks to go with

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvb34441

Reaction score
I have a 1990 vmax and it’s well past due to get some nicer stiffer rear shocks. I’m not sure which ones are best though. I’ve heard good things about the progressive 412’s but not much else. Any input is appreciated!

The 412’s are somewhat better than stock the 444’s are much better than the 412’s. However depending upon your budget there are significantly better options than the 444’s.
I’m looking to stay right around or if possible below where the 444’s are priced. The reason I’m so urgent about this is because I feel like my bike is actively trying to send me up the long stairway while I’m going through corners 😂

Just to give you a case of sticker shock look up a pair of Penske suspenders for a Vmax or Ohlins. Race Tech has some pricey better quality rear shocks as well. Check out Star Rider Performance for what they offer.

For a blast from the past/ nostalgia moment, I was going through some storage boxes and found a set of Konis that I was running on my KZ1000 J model that was fairly worked over. Bigger valves, mild porting, the Kerker four into one, and 33 smoothbore Mikunis. At one point I had three KZ1000's of various model years

First thing I'd consider is to have is to have a spring weight that is appropriate for my weight. Pre load adjustment is (IMO) essential and ideally will be threaded to allow fine tuning of sag. Damping adjustment is a nice to have but I suspect most of us have a play, don't notice much difference and leave it alone.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, stick with well known names and buy the best you can afford
What you decide on will depend on what you want and how you ride.
If the damping has gone in one or both of the OE shocks then (almost) any replacement will be an improvement.

I bought the 412’s trying to save a few bucks and it only cost me more in the end when I upgraded to the 444’s. I ride my bike hard and have regularly ridden it for track days and for my money the 444’s perform great. Although I don’t have any experience with the very expensive Penske shocks I’m not sure the extra money would translate to an equivalent increase in handling.

So the shocks came in the mail today, as I was about to install the new shocks, I noticed the mounting studs on the bike are too big for the bushings on the shocks. In the interest of saving time, I’m wondering if I could maybe use the bushings from my stock shocks on the new ones, they don’t look too worn.

If you got the correct 412's you should have bushings that are too large and then a selection of bushing sleeves to install depending on the application (the rest were tossed in the trash).

Latest posts

Back